Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am researching a group of primary students in 6th grade as part of my volunteering. I conducted an open question, "what can students do to understand the lessons?" After listing their answers, I discussed additional learning behaviour (asking questions, writing keywords, listening to students' comments, etc.).

The teachers did not know that I conducted the open question and discussion since I talked with the group during their lunch break. The research is being consented by the principal and parents, hence, I have full access to the classroom CCTV to observe changes and measure data. During the observation, I counted the learning behaviour which the group employed in the class.

After 10 days of lesson, I tallied the results and compared it to the CCTV footage. An increase of 30% in learning behaviour was significant, so I did another experiment. This time, I asked the teachers to incorporate different teaching strategies (role-play, mapping, experience-sharing, etc.). The outcome was outrageous as it exceeded my expectation, a further increased of 50% implied that increased of student learning behaviour were influenced from being aware of the behaviours and the incorporation of teaching strategies.

My questions as I am writing my dissertation, should I argue that this is a quantitative research (since I did experimentation) or qualitative research (since I used open questions and observation).

Thank you very much for your response. I am still studying and I volunteered to do the research to my community school because I would like to employ what I am learning in the Uni. It is best for me to experience doing the research this way before the really conducting a research studies.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Albermen)
    Hi everyone, I am researching a group of primary students in 6th grade as part of my volunteering. I conducted an open question, "what can students do to understand the lessons?" After listing their answers, I discussed additional learning behaviour (asking questions, writing keywords, listening to students' comments, etc.).

The teachers did not know that I conducted the open question and discussion since I talked with the group during their lunch break. The research is being consented by the principal and parents, hence, I have full access to the classroom CCTV to observe changes and measure data. During the observation, I counted the learning behaviour which the group employed in the class.

After 10 days of lesson, I tallied the results and compared it to the CCTV footage. An increase of 30% in learning behaviour was significant, so I did another experiment. This time, I asked the teachers to incorporate different teaching strategies (role-play, mapping, experience-sharing, etc.). The outcome was outrageous as it exceeded my expectation, a further increased of 50% implied that increased of student learning behaviour were influenced from being aware of the behaviours and the incorporation of teaching strategies.

My questions as I am writing my dissertation, should I argue that this is a quantitative research (since I did experimentation) or qualitative research (since I used open questions and observation).

Thank you very much for your response. I am still studying and I volunteered to do the research to my community school because I would like to employ what I am learning in the Uni. It is best for me to experience doing the research this way before the really conducting a research studies.
    I would call that qualitative

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying social sciences HNC and I would say that perhaps you have done a mix of qualitative experiment through a combination of interview and non participant observation that was both covert and non covert. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds qualitative.

But you've got a figure of 30% from somewhere which would suggest there is some quantitative research going on. We'd need more explanation of how you got this figure to be sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.