The Student Room Group

Quantitative or Qualitative?

Hi everyone, I am researching a group of primary students in 6th grade as part of my volunteering. I conducted an open question, "what can students do to understand the lessons?" After listing their answers, I discussed additional learning behaviour (asking questions, writing keywords, listening to students' comments, etc.).

The teachers did not know that I conducted the open question and discussion since I talked with the group during their lunch break. The research is being consented by the principal and parents, hence, I have full access to the classroom CCTV to observe changes and measure data. During the observation, I counted the learning behaviour which the group employed in the class.

After 10 days of lesson, I tallied the results and compared it to the CCTV footage. An increase of 30% in learning behaviour was significant, so I did another experiment. This time, I asked the teachers to incorporate different teaching strategies (role-play, mapping, experience-sharing, etc.). The outcome was outrageous as it exceeded my expectation, a further increased of 50% implied that increased of student learning behaviour were influenced from being aware of the behaviours and the incorporation of teaching strategies.

My questions as I am writing my dissertation, should I argue that this is a quantitative research (since I did experimentation) or qualitative research (since I used open questions and observation).

Thank you very much for your response. I am still studying and I volunteered to do the research to my community school because I would like to employ what I am learning in the Uni. It is best for me to experience doing the research this way before the really conducting a research studies.
Original post by Albermen
Hi everyone, I am researching a group of primary students in 6th grade as part of my volunteering. I conducted an open question, "what can students do to understand the lessons?" After listing their answers, I discussed additional learning behaviour (asking questions, writing keywords, listening to students' comments, etc.).

The teachers did not know that I conducted the open question and discussion since I talked with the group during their lunch break. The research is being consented by the principal and parents, hence, I have full access to the classroom CCTV to observe changes and measure data. During the observation, I counted the learning behaviour which the group employed in the class.

After 10 days of lesson, I tallied the results and compared it to the CCTV footage. An increase of 30% in learning behaviour was significant, so I did another experiment. This time, I asked the teachers to incorporate different teaching strategies (role-play, mapping, experience-sharing, etc.). The outcome was outrageous as it exceeded my expectation, a further increased of 50% implied that increased of student learning behaviour were influenced from being aware of the behaviours and the incorporation of teaching strategies.

My questions as I am writing my dissertation, should I argue that this is a quantitative research (since I did experimentation) or qualitative research (since I used open questions and observation).

Thank you very much for your response. I am still studying and I volunteered to do the research to my community school because I would like to employ what I am learning in the Uni. It is best for me to experience doing the research this way before the really conducting a research studies.

I would call that qualitative
Reply 2
I am currently studying social sciences HNC and I would say that perhaps you have done a mix of qualitative experiment through a combination of interview and non participant observation that was both covert and non covert. Hope that helps.
It sounds qualitative.

But you've got a figure of 30% from somewhere which would suggest there is some quantitative research going on. We'd need more explanation of how you got this figure to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending