The Student Room Group

Chemistry Chemical Tests

Hi, is the only way to differentriate between Strontium ions and barium ions with a flame test?
Original post by BENgal232
Hi, is the only way to differentriate between Strontium ions and barium ions with a flame test?

If you are referring only to qualitative tests, then as far as I’m aware, yes. Though it is unreliable as other ions produce similar flame colours (a crimson red flame could be caused by Li^+ rather than Sr^2+ and a green flame could be caused by BO3^3- rather than Ba^2+).

Several forms of instrumental and quantitative analysis should also be able to distinguish between them.

EDIT: Apparently there are tests using potassium chromate and ammonium sulphate, though I conjecture that other ions will interfere with these tests. These are NOT needed at AS/A level or equivalent, so if you happen to be studying at this level, don’t worry about these tests.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
If you are referring only to qualitative tests, then as far as I’m aware, yes. Though it is unreliable as other ions produce similar flame colours (a crimson red flame could be caused by Li^+ rather than Sr^2+ and a green flame could be caused by BO3^3- rather than Ba^2+).

Several forms of instrumental and quantitative analysis should also be able to distinguish between them.

EDIT: Apparently there are tests using potassium chromate and ammonium sulphate, though I conjecture that other ions will interfere with these tests. These are NOT needed at AS/A level or equivalent, so if you happen to be studying at this level, don’t worry about these tests.

Thankyou! Yes, that's what i was thinking with the flame tests being hard to distinguish. I'll have a look at the tests youve mentioned just for fun but yes im at as level.
Original post by BENgal232
Thankyou! Yes, that's what i was thinking with the flame tests being hard to distinguish. I'll have a look at the tests youve mentioned just for fun but yes im at as level.

Fair enough. Here’s where I heard about said tests (I didn’t watch it in full, so take my note of it with a pinch of salt) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HzbEfWqzBhs

Quick Reply

Latest