The Student Room Group

What degree should I pick for the most career options?

So im deciding between human sciences and psychology at Uni, but just wondering which will give me a greater range of options for jobs?

Both provide a range of skills (qualitative and quantitative), but for some masters degrees when listing what degree is needed/accepted psychology appears to come up a lot more than human sciences (probably because humans sciences is quite an uncommon degree). Does this mean psychology will open more doors? For example imperials strategic marketing states you need a first/2:1 in a degree such as…. and then psychology is listed.

Human sciences appeals to me because whilst i’m passionate about psychology, the idea of studying a range of disciplines (biological, geographical, psychological) in one degree excites me more.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So im deciding between human sciences and psychology at Uni, but just wondering which will give me a greater range of options for jobs?

Both provide a range of skills (qualitative and quantitative), but for some masters degrees when listing what degree is needed/accepted psychology appears to come up a lot more than human sciences (probably because humans sciences is quite an uncommon degree). Does this mean psychology will open more doors? For example imperials strategic marketing states you need a first/2:1 in a degree such as…. and then psychology is listed.

Human sciences appeals to me because whilst i’m passionate about psychology, the idea of studying a range of disciplines (biological, geographical, psychological) in one degree excites me more.

Psychology will open more doors, especially if it's BPS accredited.

Human sciences will allow you to go into life science research + any job that accept degrees in any subject. Personally, I would rather go for biological sciences as opposed to human sciences.

Having said that, should you wish to cover both, you can do human sciences as a bachelor's, then do a BPS accredited conversion course at postgrad level. This will give you the best of both worlds, but you will have to study for an extra year.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

I would say do not pick a broad degree, as you will struggle to find a career. For example with maths, you may find yourself struggling to find good jobs for years, but with specific degrees eg Pharmacy you will have a direct path into a career. Even if you change your mind, you still have a degree which is valuable so the doors are always open. Make sure you pick a well respected course and uni, and employers will always take note of you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending