The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
do you think it matters if you put the wrong question on the front, in that section where you write what questions you did? Only i put down question B3 instead of B1, i think. Surely that wont mean a thing though.

Also, does anyone think its unfair that i was penalised (and later shouted at by my parents) for turning up to the exam 3 mins late, even though the exam wasnt due to start until 1.30.

Basically i was there early and found out what room the exam was in, then went into town to get some food and drink. As i was coming back i met two of my mates who were taking the exam and walked up with them, we got to the school at 1.20, handed our phones in and got to the exam room at 1.25. The exam had already started! When the teachers blamed us i replied that it surely wasnt our fault as on the official exam sheets the exam was due to start at 1.30, and it clearly wasnt 1.30, and was warned for disagreeing with an examiner under exam conditions.

Made me mad, but ah well, i got my own back in a childish way by requesting a 45min,15 min and 5 min warning, which i am entitled to request.
Reply 41
x_muso_x
I did the first context on Dido and Calypso, which was quite an interesting one - although I certainly wasn't expecting the theme of separation and reunion! lol i think I dealt with it ok...

I did the 'imitation of Homer' essay - I thought it was a really interesting question, and a statement like that is just screaming to be objected to, so I had plenty to argue about! :biggrin:

everyone in my class did the Venus/Athene one apart from myself and someone else who did revenge - I think the gods one was the easier option of the three, but to me it looked a bit boring...

yes i did this very same combination of questions- and i was the only one to do B5. i thought the others were too constricting, though i failed to read the bit about second rate untill i'd finished- however i think i made it clear that the aeneid deserves to be merited in its own right- i talked about how it's nationalistic and explores human emotions more than the odyssey- though i initially agreed with the question. the venus/athene one looked really difficult!
Reply 42
i did the calypso/dido context and the revenge essay.
although, there isn't much 'reunion' in the aeneid, and i couldn't see a great amount of revenge in the odyssey - odysseus is just trying to get back home, and only gets angry when he finds out what's going down in ithaca...

all in all, a much easier paper than anticipated.
tragedy on friday now :biggrin:
Reply 43
ah yeah, got the polyphemus bits in (nearly called him polydorus a couple of times though, very confusing) and the poseidon... apart from that, nada.
thank goodness others thought of stuff like that... the other 5 people from my set came out with blank faces...
Reply 44
actually, i mentioned the nine maids, and said that it was completely unfounded and that it practically suggested a killing spree rather than connived revenge.

which, by the way, is the general tone of Margaret Atwood's 'The Penelopiad', a bloody good read if you can get your hands on it:smile:
I forgot to write the questions i answered on the front, really worried now :s-smilie:
Reply 46
for reunion of lovers i said that onf ace value it was odyssey over aeneid, but then said that no where in the odyssey is oldysseus wanting to return to penelope, its always his homeland, he behaves like a typical hero and puts his home and reputation first. Then i mentioned that Aeneid had Dido and a couple of minor affairs (Andromache/Helenus and Lavinia/Aeneas) but aeneas never really acts like a lover, so in conclusion it was odyssey because theyre the only real lovers.

Kinda looked like id changed my idea half way through, but ah well.
Reply 47
Yellowmarshmellow
I forgot to write the questions i answered on the front, really worried now :s-smilie:

don't worry, it's fine, loads of people forget to do that - so long as you've written the Qs in the margin, it doesn't matter! :p:
Reply 48
don't worry- the exams office in your school/college will probably check them before sending them off- if you are really worried, just go see them. Either way, I don't think that it will matter much
Reply 49
did you do the paper today Q.E.D?
x_muso_x
don't worry, it's fine, loads of people forget to do that - so long as you've written the Qs in the margin, it doesn't matter! :p:

:smile:
Reply 51
Bboy_Soapy
do you think it matters if you put the wrong question on the front, in that section where you write what questions you did? Only i put down question B3 instead of B1, i think. Surely that wont mean a thing though.

the essay question WAS b3.

I'm pretty sure its: A1 and A2 (the context questions) and B3 B4 and B5 (the essays).

In fact ive got the essay in my bag, and ive just checked and thats how it is. So nothing to worry about.
Reply 52
did you do the paper today Q.E.D?

No, I don't do Class Civ- do Latin and Greek instead...- hope it went well for you though!
Reply 53
Q.E.D
Odysseus is smarter than he is brave , brains over brawn, but Aeneas seems to be the opposite.

That's not really true. Odysseus is often very stupid, for example when he taunts Polyphemus and gives him his name by which the cyclops is then able to curse him and prevent him returning home with his men. Over the course of the poem a lot of what he learns is to control himself and his temper. Obviously he shows brains in leading his men out of the cyclops' cave but this is totally undermined by his subsequent actions and shows a lot of bravery too. It's far too simplistic to simply say he represents 'brains over brawn'.
Reply 54
SamLowry
can anyone help with this? please?:confused:

Read Aristotle's poetics; he says the Odyssey is a comedy (Iliad is a tragedy), there's one place to start
Reply 55
He does stupid things, but his reaction to situations is to think his way out of them rather than fight his way out- he is more cunning and resourceful is what I really mean to say I guess...
Reply 56
Satine
EDIT: Oh my God, I'm so sorry about the length of this. I didn't realise. :eek:

The Aeneid's definitely more weighty thematically, as x_muso_x says. The audience were basically reading about where they came from - if Aeneas had failed, they wouldn't exist. It's like people get pretty awed reading about the World Wars today, thinking how differently things could have turned out if the other side had won. Odysseus is taking a personal quest - if he'd got eaten by the Cyclops, for example, it wouldn't impact on anything in the long term. It's entertaining to follow, but he's not changing the world.

The Odyssey contains more fantasy, I suppose. There are monsters in the Aeneid, like the Cyclops appears briefly, Scylla gets a mention, etc., and there are those sea serpents which do Laocoon in during the Trojan War, but there's not as much emphasis on them and they seem to be as much in homage to Homer as anything else - the conflict tends to be more between people, and if I'm remembering correctly, there had been some sort of war around the time Virgil wrote it (am I right? I can't for the life of me remember which war), so it'd be possible to relate to. Even when the Odyssey gets scary, it's less 'real' - the main human-to-human conflict is Odysseus and the Suitors, and that ends with him basically just walking in and massacring them. It's not so much there to be nail-bitingly suspenseful, it's just fun watching them get their comeuppance.

You could use the way they treat women as an illustration of the respective levels of seriousness - Odysseus has fun with them, even when the situation's not ideal (okay, Calypso's got him incarcerated, but they still 'find pleasure in making love' the night before he leaves...and yes, maybe Circe does turn his men into pigs, but he can't be having all that terrible a time - doesn't he end up staying a year?), whereas even when things seem idyllic - Aeneas is a widower, in a safe environment in Carthage, and has Dido absolutely falling at his feet (he's the one in the position of power - look at the deer simile in book 4, he's 'hunting' her), but he's compelled by his destiny to put the fate of the Romans before himself. You could argue that as soon as a hero has to stop being selfish the epic immediately becomes more serious. And the chasm between the two heroes widens when you consider Odysseus has a wife back at home.

Kinda tough to argue in favour of the Aeneid being the less serious work *thinks*. You could look at the subplots following the sons, I guess (although Ascanius's is hardly a subplot, but even so). Telemachus is making a journey of massive personal growth - he spends the first couple of books moping about and waiting for his father to come back and sort things out for him. He makes a couple of mistakes when he's starting out (I would argue that he gets a bit too disrespectful to his mother at times, for example, and he gets a bit hysterical when he's making his speech in - is it Book 3?) but by the end of the epic he's slaughtering Suitors alongside Odysseus.

Ascanius, on the other hand, could almost be seen as being there for light relief - obviously he's important since he takes charge of Rome when his father dies, but that's outside the narrative. He tends to be presented in situations like the hunt in Book 4 where he's praying for something ridiculous like 'a lion or a foaming boar' to come down from the mountains - we know even an adult would see that as pretty challenging, and he just seems kind of endearing for thinking he'd be able to handle it. There's also the bit in the funeral games where he comes out with some of the other younger Trojans and they put on a horse show, mimicking the adults - it's sweet, and he never really seems to mature fully. It seems like Pallas grows up more rapidly than Ascanius later on - we see him leading an army in Book 10, which I don't THINK we ever observe Ascanius doing (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). His story isn't the serious bildungsroman that Telemachus's is.

Oh, think about the respective Underworlds, maybe? Aeneas has a tougher time in his, arguably, given that he has to actually go down *into* the Underworld whereas Odysseus can just sit there and lure the ghosts up with his little puddle of blood. Obviously neither of them has a super fun time, but the Odyssey treats it more entertainingly, with the list of people and their stories who the audience would have heard of, whereas Aeneas's is more of a serious journey which gets all sad when he speaks to Achilles who says he'd rather be the lowliest man on earth than king of all the dead. Also there's more emphasis on the world itself and less on the people in it in Virgil's underworld - therefore less interesting/'entertaining', more nightmarish.

Also. There are jokes in the Odyssey, kind of (or at least one joke that I can think of). There's a line in book 1 which is translated as 'Why are you at odds with Odysseus?' (Athene to Zeus) - I don't know the original Greek, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could venture it. It's wordplay, anyway, and I can't think of anything quite like that in the Aeneid.

Wow, this has come down pretty heavily on the side of the Aeneid being more serious, but I suppose it was always going to. I suppose you could argue that the gods in the Aeneid are more petty and therefore less intimidating/serious, but that's a bit tenuous. Anyway, I'm just throwing out ideas, and I suspect a lot of them are rubbish (if I've ignored a massive wodge of evidence in any of this PLEASE tell me, I've got the exam on Monday and if I've been incredibly stupid it'd be nice to know before then - I'm well aware that while there's a lot of stuff here, there's a good chance some of it's inaccurate), but I hope this helps a bit, at least. I'm not going to go back and proof-read this, I'm determined to try and figure out the plot of Book 3 of the Aeneid before the end of the evening, so sorry if any of it doesn't make sense, it's just a brain-dump. Woo.

I'm sure by now you have moved on to bigger and better things, but i would like to answer your question about the pun in greek that translates to "why are you at odds with odysseus" In the greek version there is a word "ὠδύσαο" which translates to anger, hatred, dislike. This is pronounced Odysao which sounds very close to odysseus. Hope this helps.
hrmmm you could always attempt the idea of Fate/Destiny?

Latest

Trending

Trending