Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have read that NADP becomes reduced NADP when it accepts 2 electrons and a hydrogen ion. But I thought that the definition of a substance being reduced is when it accepts electrons, not electrons AND protons. Can anyone explain?

ReputationRep:
    Reduction is the gain of electrons, gain of hydrogen and loss of oxygen. Also I think that the 2 electrons combine with the 2 Hydrogen ions (from the photolysis of water) to form hydrogen.

ReputationRep:
    Reduction is technically just the gain of electrons, the reason hydrogen gets involved in this case is because hydrogen is carrying the electrons in the first place, NAD+ gains the electrons by gaining the hydrogen that is carrying them, the electrons aren't just going to leave the hydrogen without taking the hydrogen with it, as the whole process wouldn't be very energy efficient

ReputationRep:
    in Biology, reduction can mean 3 things:
    1) gain of electrons
    2) gain of hydrogen (H+)
    3) loss of oxygen

So NADP becomes reduced as it gains H+ AND electrons to form NADPH in the LDR before moving out into the thylakoid to take part in the Calvin Cycle (LIDR).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamb97)
    I have read that NADP becomes reduced NADP when it accepts 2 electrons and a hydrogen ion. But I thought that the definition of a substance being reduced is when it accepts electrons, not electrons AND protons. Can anyone explain?
    Firstly, what is reduction?
    It can be:
    1) the gaining of electrons
    2) the losing of oxygen or hydrogen ions(protons)

Oxidation can be:1) the losing of electrons2) the gaining of oxygen or hydrogen ions(protons)Overall since it loses 2 electrons but only gains 1 hydrogen ion, wouldnt it have undergone more reduction than oxidation? so simply we say NADP has undergone a net reduction, or just simply reduction

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.