The Student Room Group

A2 Biology - How does NADP become reduced?

I have read that NADP becomes reduced NADP when it accepts 2 electrons and a hydrogen ion. But I thought that the definition of a substance being reduced is when it accepts electrons, not electrons AND protons. Can anyone explain?
Reduction is the gain of electrons, gain of hydrogen and loss of oxygen. Also I think that the 2 electrons combine with the 2 Hydrogen ions (from the photolysis of water) to form hydrogen.
Reduction is technically just the gain of electrons, the reason hydrogen gets involved in this case is because hydrogen is carrying the electrons in the first place, NAD+ gains the electrons by gaining the hydrogen that is carrying them, the electrons aren't just going to leave the hydrogen without taking the hydrogen with it, as the whole process wouldn't be very energy efficient
Reply 3
in Biology, reduction can mean 3 things:
1) gain of electrons
2) gain of hydrogen (H+)
3) loss of oxygen

So NADP becomes reduced as it gains H+ AND electrons to form NADPH in the LDR before moving out into the thylakoid to take part in the Calvin Cycle (LIDR).
Original post by jamb97
I have read that NADP becomes reduced NADP when it accepts 2 electrons and a hydrogen ion. But I thought that the definition of a substance being reduced is when it accepts electrons, not electrons AND protons. Can anyone explain?

Firstly, what is reduction?
It can be:
1) the gaining of electrons
2) the losing of oxygen or hydrogen ions(protons)

Oxidation can be:1) the losing of electrons2) the gaining of oxygen or hydrogen ions(protons)Overall since it loses 2 electrons but only gains 1 hydrogen ion, wouldnt it have undergone more reduction than oxidation? so simply we say NADP has undergone a net reduction, or just simply reduction:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending