The Student Room Group

Should I take BAC/EPQ along with my four A Levels?

Hi, I'm not quite sure if I want to take Welsh BAC or an EPQ or neither with my 4 A Levels. I want to take Medicine at Cambridge and am taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths as A Levels. In my school it's compulsory to take Welsh BAC unless you are part of a network I am in where I can drop it and take 4 subjects instead of 3. They originally said that you could take BAC as a fifth if discussed but considering how heavy my subjects are they're guiding me towards not doing it.

The only reason I want to take it is because of the essay project worth 50% which I can use to research more into medicine, so then I thought maybe EPQ would be more suitable but I don't think my college does that.

They said I can try BAC for a few weeks and drop if I don't think it'll work, do you think it's worth it? Or even the EPQ? Or should I do neither and look at essay competitions (if so do you have any recommendations ).

Thanks
Original post by study23!
Hi, I'm not quite sure if I want to take Welsh BAC or an EPQ or neither with my 4 A Levels. I want to take Medicine at Cambridge and am taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths as A Levels. In my school it's compulsory to take Welsh BAC unless you are part of a network I am in where I can drop it and take 4 subjects instead of 3. They originally said that you could take BAC as a fifth if discussed but considering how heavy my subjects are they're guiding me towards not doing it.

The only reason I want to take it is because of the essay project worth 50% which I can use to research more into medicine, so then I thought maybe EPQ would be more suitable but I don't think my college does that.

They said I can try BAC for a few weeks and drop if I don't think it'll work, do you think it's worth it? Or even the EPQ? Or should I do neither and look at essay competitions (if so do you have any recommendations ).

Thanks

The workload is likely to be very intense with either on top of your four A-level subjects, so I think that is something bear in mind. I would recommend trying to do as well as you can in your A-levels and if you feel you could manage something on top of it then do it, but it could end up being problem if the workload becomes too much.
Reply 2
Original post by study23!

Thanks

Hi, I’m currently in year 13 and started the year with Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Maths and Welsh bac, and have since dropped maths. Honestly, its a difficult decision you have to make.

Epq: can research topics that interest you. Some unis might reduce a grade if you do well

Bac: considered an a level by many russel group unis, so could be used as a third a level if you screw up one. It’s basically an epq plus a bunch of other projects. It takes up a lot of time. Time you could be spending on revision for other subjects

I ended up doing bac cause eveyone in my school had to do it, being in seren (the network i assume your referring to) or not. Honestly I dont think its been worthwhile, but, its a good safety net if I dont do as well as expected on one of my a levels.

Lmk if you have any other questions!

Quick Reply

Latest