The Student Room Group

Translocation

Please could someone possibly sum up the role of ATP in translocation(to an A Level standard). I have found from some websites that it is used to load sucrose but can't find a straightforward explanation of how. Thanks!:smile:
Original post by ALevel Student 1
Please could someone possibly sum up the role of ATP in translocation(to an A Level standard). I have found from some websites that it is used to load sucrose but can't find a straightforward explanation of how. Thanks!:smile:

Up to an AS or A2 standard?
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Up to an AS or A2 standard?

Either, it is not specifically demanded by my course but I still need to know about it for essay purposes to a suitable standard.
Original post by ALevel Student 1
Either, it is not specifically demanded by my course but I still need to know about it for essay purposes to a suitable standard.

Ah ok then. Well I know that mitochondria are abundant in companion cells and therefore generate a lot of ATP. That ATP is hydrolysed into ADP and a phosphate group. The energy released in doing so is used to pump hydrogen ions out of the cell via active transport through a proton pump. The hydrogen ions then enter through a co-transport protein down the concentration gradient with sucrose entering through it also.

Without the ATP, hydogen ions wouldn't be able to be pumped against the concentration gradient and so sucrose wouldn't be able to enter the companion cells and no sucrose would be transported around the plant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending