The Student Room Group

Parents get +2 years in prison for serving alcohol at a birthday, your opinions?

A couple from Virginia, USA (tada, surprise surprise, where else?) are going to prison for more than 2 years because they served a moderate portion of alcohol at their 16 year-old childs birthday party, AFTER having made sure that there would be a designated driver for everyone driving home (by collecting and retaining all car keys belonging to the invited).
Personally I think it is sick that this should happen while miss Paris Hilton gets 45 days behind bars for DRUNK DRIVING :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/08/AR2007060802795.html

Scroll to see replies

yeh thtas such crap seriously it even made UK papers a few days ago. Of cousre they weren't right but a country that actaully managed to ban alcohol could probs have thought of a dumber sentence, in some ways its let me down :p:
Reply 2
Paris Hilton case aside as its really not an effective comparison and just media hype driven:

The case is that these adults served alcohol to minors. This is illegal whichever way you look at it. Im not certain on the US law, but under UK law you can only serve alcohol to you own children. The fact that they collected keys etc is irrelevant, the fact it was at a house party is still not a valid defence. I very much suspect a number of the kid's parents would have objected to them being given alcohol and so the couple in question did not have parental consent anyway.

Also remember that america's drinking laws are far harsher then ours.
The sentance is ridiculous, but they're not entirely innocent - lying to the kids' parents about there being alcohol before the party isn't really a good thing to do.
Reply 4
"Not only were they serving alcohol to 15- and 16-year-olds, they misled parents who called to ask about alcohol, and they tried to get the kids to cover it up after police got there," Camblos said

They get absoloutly no sympathy from me.
Reply 5
The parents sound like idiots to me. But the sentence is still extremely harsh. Thieves have been (and regularly are) let off with lighter sentences than that.
Reply 6
Cromulent
But the sentence is still extremely harsh. Thieves have been let off with lighter sentences than that.

The sentance is actually only a 1/4 of what the original sentance was (brought down on appeal).

Also it should be noted that this was in a town that had very recently had a member of (the kid's) school killed in a drink-driving related incident. Obviously this had an effect on the judgment in the same way that i fully expect the sentance of the person who kidnapped maddie (should they find them) to be extremley harsh, Judges get influenced by the media and recent events when making sentances.. although i doubt many people will be complaining when maddie's kidnapper gets an amazingly harsh sentance.
Reply 7
when maddie's kidnapper gets an amazingly harsh sentance.

If they find them.
The sentance is perhaps a little on the harsh side, when you compare it to cases which are obviously more serious like cases of paedophilia where the accused may only get 3 years for example but it was irresponsible of them to lie to the other kids parents.

What was their motive? Why would you want to get a bunch of 16 year old kids drunk behind their parents back? Sounds a little odd to me
2 years a little extreme in my opinion.

I guess the parents wanted their child to have an enjoyable 'young' party.

Not a very adult thing to do, though. :P
Reply 10
What was their motive? Why would you want to get a bunch of 16 year old kids drunk behind their parents back? Sounds a little odd to me

They wanted to be "cool" parents I guess...
Reply 11
It *is* a little harsh, but its better to be too harsh than too soft. Keep in mind that you cant drink in America until you're 21, so there was a massive 5 years difference.
Its not a little harsh, that scentence is disgusting.
They should have got a $100 fine or something. This is such a minor crime (I for one believe that it shouldn't be a crime at all).
I could proably go out now and beat someone up and I'd get less time than that. Infact, I could go out and burn a building down and I might get away with less (some peple burnt down a chunk ouf our school and someone that I know got like 1 year for his part in it and he was amongst the most severely punished).
Reply 13
Fishfinger Sandwich
Its not a little harsh, that scentence is disgusting.
They should have got a $100 fine or something. This is such a minor crime (I for one believe that it shouldn't be a crime at all).

You dont think its a crime to openly lie to a minor's parents about providing them with an illegal substance? Because thats exactly what they did.
Reply 14
It's a crime, but not worth 2+ years. A punishment certainly, but not that much.
Admittedly I'm biased as we're allowed to drink legally from 18, but alcohol is such a large part of teen culture that just about everyone growing up will experience it eventually, and I think it's much better to get eased in (so to speak) at home, in moderation, in a safe environment, rather than suddenly being allowed to drink and party and everything and go way over the top with it.
Reply 15
Drarren
It's a crime, but not worth 2+ years. A punishment certainly, but not that much.
Admittedly I'm biased as we're allowed to drink legally from 18, but alcohol is such a large part of teen culture that just about everyone growing up will experience it eventually, and I think it's much better to get eased in (so to speak) at home, in moderation, in a safe environment, rather than suddenly being allowed to drink and party and everything and go way over the top with it.

Totally agree with that. My American friends all have fake ID and go get wasted on spirits etc, surely them having a couple of drinks at a party supervised by adults is way better.
America is still often affected subtlety by an old puritanical sense when it comes to matters such as drink. America is the only nation that has attempted to fully ban alcohol at some point in modern history (not counting the middle east here, where its an old law.)
chrisjorg
A couple from Virginia, USA (tada, surprise surprise, where else?) are going to prison for more than 2 years because they served a moderate portion of alcohol at their 16 year-old childs birthday party, AFTER having made sure that there would be a designated driver for everyone driving home (by collecting and retaining all car keys belonging to the invited).
Personally I think it is sick that this should happen while miss Paris Hilton gets 45 days behind bars for DRUNK DRIVING :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/08/AR2007060802795.html

Absolutely disgusting! Their kids will have no parents for over 2 years while Paris is free to kill someone.
bit hard, wouldn't happen over here, it would not be against the law as it be a private party, and you can drink at home over the age of 5, but the laws the laws and each state has different laws on these, so you can't really compare Paris to Parents as there not in the same state and so there are different laws
i read about this on BBC news and laughed with derision when I realised that I have been allowed to, and on occasion, been legally allowed to drink alcohol at home since age of 12 and public since age of 15 with a meal, and legally in public this saturday when i turn 18. This just gives me a smug grin as I realise we have one over the yanks. The only problem is, I appreciate alcohol and know my limits. So many people in our country allow themselves to be overridden by alcohol, which causes huge problems. But I still prefer our system to theres. Stupid M$£*£$*£ckers.

Latest

Trending

Trending