The Student Room Group

Struggling to keep pregnancy secret

My girlfriend is pregnant and we have agreed not to tell any family or friends until after the first scan which is still 5 weeks away. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep it a secret from my family. My family is close and everyone likes to know everybody else's business and my parents especially will not let anything drop if they think there's something odd going on.

For example we went out for a family meal two weeks ago to celebrate my brother in law's birthday, because my girlfriend had a positive pregnancy test at that point she didn't drink any alcohol and everyone kept asking why she wasn't drinking. Thankfully we had been on holiday the week before so I told them we drank A LOT on holiday as it was all inclusive so we are wanting a break.

Then last week my parents invited just me and my girlfriend out for a meal, again they noticed she wasn't drinking and asked why so she just said she was still having a break after our holiday. But they looked at her like they didn't believe it.

And now we have been invited to a family wedding in a few weeks and I have said I will drive some of us there as I am not bothered about having a drink and neither is my girlfriend but I know they will ask questions again.

What do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My girlfriend is pregnant and we have agreed not to tell any family or friends until after the first scan which is still 5 weeks away. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep it a secret from my family. My family is close and everyone likes to know everybody else's business and my parents especially will not let anything drop if they think there's something odd going on.

For example we went out for a family meal two weeks ago to celebrate my brother in law's birthday, because my girlfriend had a positive pregnancy test at that point she didn't drink any alcohol and everyone kept asking why she wasn't drinking. Thankfully we had been on holiday the week before so I told them we drank A LOT on holiday as it was all inclusive so we are wanting a break.

Then last week my parents invited just me and my girlfriend out for a meal, again they noticed she wasn't drinking and asked why so she just said she was still having a break after our holiday. But they looked at her like they didn't believe it.

And now we have been invited to a family wedding in a few weeks and I have said I will drive some of us there as I am not bothered about having a drink and neither is my girlfriend but I know they will ask questions again.

What do I do?

Can't you say you've given up alcohol as you feel so much better after not drinking? Many people don't drink ...
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Can't you say you've given up alcohol as you feel so much better after not drinking? Many people don't drink ...

I could, but I really don't think they would accept that.
Reply 3
I could, but I really don't think they would accept that.

Share the driving then neither of you will drink.
Say she is getting fat. Will stop people asking.

What do I do?

By the sound of it your parents pretty much know already.
Reply 6

What do I do?

I guess you could try saying something like trying out a new diet or detox?
Reply 7

What do I do?

To be honest with you I would actually sit down your parents along with your girlfriend and tell them they are going to be grandparents while you have a opportunity before they start seeing a baby bump on your girlfriend.... you can hide pregnancy for so long before it has to be revealed to everyone. Just remember that your girlfriend will start becoming bigger and thereby will need to wear bigger clothing.

She is very sensible in not drinking alcohol and I don't think you will when you are driving to your friends wedding 💒.

Midwife

What do I do?

Mate just be honest and tell the truth keeping the truth as a lie will only make the matter worse in a challenging time like this you need the support and help of family and friends not necessarily keep them aside. Considering the fact of the factors you’ll face to have a baby you won’t be able to face them yourselves
(edited 7 months ago)

What do I do?

You can't hide it for much longer
Don’t really get why waiting until the first scan is such a big deal that you can’t tell people before, especially when it’s causing this many problems and suspicions. Just tell them.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
If secretly you’d like to tell them, just go for it, why not. If you want to wait, just flimflam them with the excuses till you’re ready. The main reason not to tell people is because if it doesn’t work out it only adds to the distress having to tell a lot of acquaintances. With family it’s generally ok, these are hopefully the people you want to share everything with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending