Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to find any useful help with structuring answers for the medicine and treatment paper of the Edexcel History course...I'm really finding it difficult to grasp the exam technique so I'd be grateful for any advice or tips on how to answer them :T

It's structured:
    Q1: 4 marks
    Q2: 9 marks
    Q3/4: 12 marks
    Q5/6: 9 marks, 16 marks

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bytheseasons)
    I'm struggling to find any useful help with structuring answers for the medicine and treatment paper of the Edexcel History course...I'm really finding it difficult to grasp the exam technique so I'd be grateful for any advice or tips on how to answer them :T

It's structured:
    Q1: 4 marks
    Q2: 9 marks
    Q3/4: 12 marks
    Q5/6: 9 marks, 16 marks

Thanks
    My question/mark structure is different to yours but I think I can help.
    An examiner for Edexcel History came in to our school and gave us some really useful tips for the exam.
    He's been marking papers for over 12 years and basically told us the difference between a C/B grade student or an A/A* student.Here's some of the things he said:

1.) When answering questions that are sources, never state that it is completely or not at all useful/reliable. Avoid using 'partly' or 'fairly' Try to use 'largely' or 'a little'. You want to impress the examiner by making a decision.

2.) For A*, be sure to use an 'overall' paragraph to sum everything up

3.) When answering 'explain why' questions, it's fine to use the same sentence starter for each paragraph. He said that students tend to waste time thinking of fancy ways to rephrase sentences (you don't get extra brownie points for this).

4.) When mentioning your own knowledge or own information for a question, never use : 'From my own knowledge I know that ...' Just try to infer what you know by saying 'This could suggest' etc instead.

5.) When analysing sources, he said that students always make the same mistake of saying that eyewitnesses are better than later accounts. This is not always the case because ..
    Eyewitnesses = can lie
    Later accounts = Have the advantage of finding more info about a particular event
    So don't make the mistake of saying eyewitnesses are more reliable basically.

6.) Use the correct order - chronology is key E.G.
    -Cause, What happened and then the result
    -A reason, this led to.., as a result ... , Overall..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiniun)
    My question/mark structure is different to yours but I think I can help.
    An examiner for Edexcel History came in to our school and gave us some really useful tips for the exam.
    He's been marking papers for over 12 years and basically told us the difference between a C/B grade student or an A/A* student.Here's some of the things he said:

1.) When answering questions that are sources, never state that it is completely or not at all useful/reliable. Avoid using 'partly' or 'fairly' Try to use 'largely' or 'a little'. You want to impress the examiner by making a decision.

2.) For A*, be sure to use an 'overall' paragraph to sum everything up

3.) When answering 'explain why' questions, it's fine to use the same sentence starter for each paragraph. He said that students tend to waste time thinking of fancy ways to rephrase sentences (you don't get extra brownie points for this).

4.) When mentioning your own knowledge or own information for a question, never use : 'From my own knowledge I know that ...' Just try to infer what you know by saying 'This could suggest' etc instead.

5.) When analysing sources, he said that students always make the same mistake of saying that eyewitnesses are better than later accounts. This is not always the case because ..
    Eyewitnesses = can lie
    Later accounts = Have the advantage of finding more info about a particular event
    So don't make the mistake of saying eyewitnesses are more reliable basically.

6.) Use the correct order - chronology is key E.G.
    -Cause, What happened and then the result
    -A reason, this led to.., as a result ... , Overall..

Ahhh! Thank you so much! This is really helpful actually, you're a lifesaver :3 And i'm actually kind of confused about the structure now...i saw a different structure that showed Q1 = 8 marks, Q2 = 6 marks, Q3 = 8 marks, Q4/5 = 12 marks and Q6/7 = 16 marks
    O.o If you're doing the edexcel exam board, do you know which one is correct? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bytheseasons)
    Ahhh! Thank you so much! This is really helpful actually, you're a lifesaver :3 And i'm actually kind of confused about the structure now...i saw a different structure that showed Q1 = 8 marks, Q2 = 6 marks, Q3 = 8 marks, Q4/5 = 12 marks and Q6/7 = 16 marks
    O.o If you're doing the edexcel exam board, do you know which one is correct? :/
    What units/topics are you doing, are you History A/B? - I think the mark structures change depending on this
    I'm doing History A Edexcel:
    Unit1 (International Relations The Era of the Cold War, 1943–91) 2,4,10,6,15,13
    Unit 2C (The USA, 1919–41) 4,6,8,8,8,16
    Unit 3C (The transformation of British society, 1951–79 ) 6,8,10,10,16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiniun)
    What units/topics are you doing, are you History A/B? - I think the mark structures change depending on this
    I'm doing History A Edexcel:
    Unit1 (International Relations The Era of the Cold War, 1943–91) 2,4,10,6,15,13
    Unit 2C (The USA, 1919–41) 4,6,8,8,8,16
    Unit 3C (The transformation of British society, 1951–79 ) 6,8,10,10,16
    Ohhh right, I see. I'm doing History B ^^ The marks seem to be really different but thanks for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.