The Student Room Group

How to revise for History?

I'm really struggling to pass history, I revised for for my history mocks but I still managed to get a 3. Are there any useful resources or websites that can help me get atleast a grade 7?
Reply 1
First, you need to make sure you have the knowledge and know when to use it, especially the dates.
Secondly, make sure that you know the structure of the answer you are expected to give. Use your teachers examples and the exam board exemplars.
Look at what exam boards say it good and bad.
Finally, you need to do essay plans or full questions in the time conditions. History exams are very tight for time so you need to be able to write quickly, plan quickly and get your thoughts organised quickly.
Also, plan questions that you really don’t want to turn up as there is a high likelihood that it will come up.
I got an 8 in GCSE Edexcel and am now doing A Level, so PM me if you want other advice.
Reply 2
To memorise key facts I'd suggest flashcards. Flashcards aim to condense one question ie "what were Pitt the Youngers' economic policies" you should aim to be able write an entire paragraph in an essay with each flashcard. It will take time to memorise but it does work.

Another great method is essay plans try to find an essay question for every topic in the specification. Make a plan of what you'll discuss, evidence that back your point up ie (events, policies, dates, figures), and what you would conclude. These are good for identifying what areas you are weak at, and making you revise whilst you practise essay planning. Its good to try doing them without the text book and slowly do them by your own knowledge.

I got a 9 in GCSE history using these methods, it takes time but if you work hard you will do well. No-one enjoys revision but you'll need to do it to do well.
Reply 3
Try out this websites.

BBC Bitesize History
Crash Course World History
JSTOR:
National Archives:
I would also suggest mindmaps - this is what I did for the majority of my revision and it paid off. Similar to an essay plan, you can structure it around a main question/point of contention in the spec so that you’re still thinking critically about the information but you aren’t limited to a narrower essay question (so it’s easier to make sure you’re still covering all of the content). This particularly helped me as I’m quite a visual learner, and I think it’s often more useful if you have all the information condensed in one place - rather than an essay plan which a few months later can be quite hard to navigate in my experience.
‘Blurting’ is also a really good method - basically you write down anything you can remember/ already know about the topic (ie in mindmap format), and then fill in the gaps - so that way you’re targeting what you really don’t know and making a better use of time.
But honestly if you want to get the best grade possible, I would suggest a mix - flashcards are really good for learning simply factual stuff like dates etc. (and often what I’d surrender to right before the exam lmao), and it’s good to do practice papers, even if you only do one, to develop some exam technique, plan your timings, and just generally feel less stressed about what’s coming, so you can focus on the info and your argument rather than the format.
hope this helped 😊
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by woebegone_tea
I would also suggest mindmaps - this is what I did for the majority of my revision and it paid off. Similar to an essay plan, you can structure it around a main question/point of contention in the spec so that you’re still thinking critically about the information but you aren’t limited to a narrower essay question (so it’s easier to make sure you’re still covering all of the content). This particularly helped me as I’m quite a visual learner, and I think it’s often more useful if you have all the information condensed in one place - rather than an essay plan which a few months later can be quite hard to navigate in my experience.
‘Blurting’ is also a really good method - basically you write down anything you can remember/ already know about the topic (ie in mindmap format), and then fill in the gaps - so that way you’re targeting what you really don’t know and making a better use of time.
But honestly if you want to get the best grade possible, I would suggest a mix - flashcards are really good for learning simply factual stuff like dates etc. (and often what I’d surrender to right before the exam lmao), and it’s good to do practice papers, even if you only do one, to develop some exam technique, plan your timings, and just generally feel less stressed about what’s coming, so you can focus on the info and your argument rather than the format.
hope this helped 😊

Omg thank you!! this helped a lot :smile:) I think I might try the mindmaps because a lot of people do suggest it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending