Ribosomes and DNA replication - BIOL 5

Watch
soLit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I came across this question.

Complete the table with a tick if the statement is true, and across if the statement is incorrect.

The statement was "Ribosomes are required in DNA replication in living rganisms"

I put a tick. The answer was a cross indicating that ribosomes are not required. This is confusing me, as I thought the mRNA exited the nucleus and traveled to the ribosomes to be translated, or am I wrong?

Here is a screenshot of the question:
hoafanuk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are correct that the ribosomes are involved in translation, but this is the process for protein synthesis, not DNA replication. Technically, ribosomes are not necessary for the actual semi-conservative replication of the DNA strand.
soLit
Rep:
?
(Original post by hoafanuk)
You are correct that the ribosomes are involved in translation, but this is the process for protein synthesis, not DNA replication. Technically, ribosomes are not necessary for the actual semi-conservative replication of the DNA strand.
Oh!

DNA replication, we are talking mitosis?

That makes sense then! Thank you!
Jehaan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
DNA is replicated by mitosis which doubles the volume of DNA which will then be put into a new cell
elen90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
DNA replication is contained to the AS course so it would be a good idea to have a quick go over it
soLit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jehaan)
DNA is replicated by mitosis which doubles the volume of DNA which will then be put into a new cell
Oh ok ok that's lit

thanks!
KarunN
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yh, dna replication happens in the S phase of the cell cycle and not the mitosis division part, however it replicates in preparation for mitosis (not during it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (367)
19.73%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads