The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry C3 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by mrtum3000
Not sure I got crude oil.
Also 3444 is what I got.

Can you remember the question about methane? didn't it already say that its from natural gas and where did that come from? if you remember the question tell me pls
Landfill sites for sources of methane?
Are fossil fuels a source of methane??
Original post by TheAnon121
Post your answers below, and we'll get an unofficial mark scheme!

Random answers:
Bond energies: -1276
Explain why: Energy needed making bonds was greater than energy released breaking bonds
Balance equation: 2 and 2 somewhere
Efficiency of Kettle: Hydrogencarbonate ions thermally decompose to carbonate, then react with calcium ions to product a precitipates of calcium carbonate (limescale). Limescale is a bad conductor of electricity - more energy needed to heat water
Hard water cleaner q: Calcium and magnesium ions replaced by sodium and hydrogen ions
Benefits of hard water: contains calcium which strengthens teeth and bones
Element that has low boiling point: F
What happens in the mixture of gases? Ammonia is liquified, then cooled - Nitrogen and Hydrogen are recycled
Specific heat capacity: 3444J
How is methane obtained: Cows (?)
Two boiling tubes: Tube A: fizzing because acid is dissolving calcium carbonate
Tube B: calcium carbonate produced, solution goes cloudy

Did this bond energy question have a triple bond between a carbon and an oxygen?
Reply 124
Original post by 1jonam16
again i was thinking fractional distillation, wish i wrote it down. Are you simply amazing at chemistry? Haha you have the answers for everything.

ahaha thanks mate but nah i just do stuff outside of school
Reply 125
For the decomposition of HCO3 ions, I don't know why but I said it produced calcium carbonate AS WELL as magnesium carbonate, then I said these were precipitates (scale) which covered the heating element of the kettle - making it a poor conductor
Will I lose marks for saying magnesium carbonate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z1820
For the decomposition of HCO3 ions, I don't know why but I said it produced calcium carbonate AS WELL as magnesium carbonate, then I said these were precipitates (scale) which covered the heating element of the kettle - making it a poor conductor
Will I lose marks for saying magnesium carbonate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

techiically you're still correct, though the spec doesn't mention magnesium carbonate.
Reply 127
Original post by Sadxa
For the energy change I divided 3444 by 0.8 and go 4305? ANYONE ELSE?

Yes I got that because 3444 is per gram whereas it wanted for 0.8g of alcohol not 1g

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
I think with the table the first blank was "white precipitate" for the one containing chloride ions, and the other two were "no result"
I really screwed up C3. C1 and C2 went really well. Just hoping that they alongside my 24% on the ISA will help get me that A*. I messed up the bond calculation and added the oxygen etc. 😩 I'll get a mark for method but that it's. I also messed up the methane question and said that the methane stays a gas but the N2 and H2 condense! I may get a mark because I said that the H2 and N2 are reused. That table question at the start threw me as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milolj
Will you lose a mark for saying 1623 rather than -1623?

Shouldn't do - in papers both were allowed
Reply 131
Original post by Sadxa
Can you remember the question about methane? didn't it already say that its from natural gas and where did that come from? if you remember the question tell me pls

it was apart from [something im unsure of] what is a source of methane?

so far, answers seem to be: fractional distilation of crude oil, decomposition, flactulance, and possible the hydrogenation of a methyl group but idek if you could do that.
I am not sure about the bond energy questions, some are saying -1623 and some -1276, which is the right answer? Could someone please say why the other one is wrong also.
Reply 133
Original post by Shaunarogerss
Shouldn't do - in papers both were allowed

yeah. at GCSE they dont penalize you, but at Alevel they do so watch out
Reply 134
Original post by dausa99
I really screwed up C3. C1 and C2 went really well. Just hoping that they alongside my 24% on the ISA will help get me that A*. I messed up the bond calculation and added the oxygen etc. 😩 I'll get a mark for method but that it's. I also messed up the methane question and said that the methane stays a gas but the N2 and H2 condense! I may get a mark because I said that the H2 and N2 are reused. That table question at the start threw me as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was ammonia, not methane :frown:
THE BOND ENERGY WAS -711KJ WHAT WHAAATWHAAATT IT's -711KJ IM 100%SUREEEE ANYONE ELSE?
Reply 136
Original post by Fr3dg
it was apart from [something im unsure of] what is a source of methane?

so far, answers seem to be: fractional distilation of crude oil, decomposition, flactulance, and possible the hydrogenation of a methyl group but idek if you could do that.

What about natural gas
Reply 137
Original post by Sadxa

The SHC should be 4505 because it wa asking for per 0.8 gram
Original post by BW999
It was ammonia, not methane :frown:

I even wrote it wrong here 😩😩. I don't think I completely flunked it. Anything above 40 I'll take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you guys reckon Grade Boundaries will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending