The Student Room Group

Aqa a2 litb3 english lit help!

In my essays I have constantly been getting band 4 which means I only explain my points and don't analyse or evaluate and honestly I don't understand why! What is the difference between explaining and analysing? Can someone please help and maybe write an example differentiating the two? Thank you :3
Analysing is looking at something in greater detail, trying to pick apart different meanings and interpretations. "It could mean ______, however, it may also mean ______ as ..." or "this is significant in multiple ways. ____'s use of _______ shows _______, however, it may also show ______ " (this goes hand in hand with AO3, interpretations, where you can also use other critical commentary to support your argument, analysis and interpretations.)

When evaluating, you're then giving value and weighing up the more significant points which you have raised, perhaps taking in to account other factors in the text / contextual factors.

At least, that's how I think of it.

Analysis comes first, then you give value to what you have said in your analysis. (Evaluation)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kimsophie97
In my essays I have constantly been getting band 4 which means I only explain my points and don't analyse or evaluate and honestly I don't understand why! What is the difference between explaining and analysing? Can someone please help and maybe write an example differentiating the two? Thank you :3

Analysis is basically examining something in great detail and developing points. So to analyse a quote (sorry idk your texts) from Macbeth, for example "come thick night and pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell" Lady Macbeth is asking thick night to cover up her evil actions, this highlights how evil lies at the heart of her actions. By asking the dunnest smoke of hell to cover her underscores the lengths lady Macbeth is willing to go to to fulfill her ambitions and also strengthens her connection to the witches due to the supernatural elements of the quote.
Sorry this is bad example but I hope you get the gist :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by johnbjohnb
Analysing is looking at something in greater detail, trying to pick apart different meanings and interpretations. "It could mean ______, however, it may also mean ______ as ..." or "this is significant in multiple ways. ____'s use of _______ shows _______, however, it may also show ______ " (this goes hand in hand with AO3, interpretations, where you can also use other critical commentary to support your argument, analysis and interpretations.)

When evaluating, you're then giving value and weighing up the more significant points which you have raised, perhaps taking in to account other factors in the text / contextual factors.

At least, that's how I think of it.

Analysis comes first, then you give value to what you have said in your analysis. (Evaluation)

Original post by rosieschofield
Analysis is basically examining something in great detail and developing points. So to analyse a quote (sorry idk your texts) from Macbeth, for example "come thick night and pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell" Lady Macbeth is asking thick night to cover up her evil actions, this highlights how evil lies at the heart of her actions. By asking the dunnest smoke of hell to cover her underscores the lengths lady Macbeth is willing to go to to fulfill her ambitions and also strengthens her connection to the witches due to the supernatural elements of the quote.
Sorry this is bad example but I hope you get the gist :smile:

Thank you so much guys! This is really helpful :smile: Also good luck for tomorrow!!!
Thank you so much guys! This is really helpful :smile: Also good luck for tomorrow!!!

You too :smile:
Reply 5

I'm doing exam tomorrow too. umm I'm not English teacher but i'd say don't get too caught up on word 'analyse' or 'evaluate' although that is essentially what you have to do I just mean don't panic because the grade boundaries are always quite low

(Maybe you already have) but gather revise a few easy to remember quotes that you think are likely to be applicable to most essay questions and if you talk about the language and effect language has on story/reader + relating it to question is analyzing.

The monster in Frankenstein says how he's abandoned and 'an abortion .. to kicked and trampled on'. 'an abortion' can be analysed as it firstly emphasizes how Victor has carelessly abandoned him. Also (since men can't have abortions) suggests Frankenstein has usurped the female role as a mother.

Doesn't have to be language, can also be about structure, themes ideas ecc but it's how you talk about them that counts. The main thing in this exam is that Answer the question and so any point you make should always be to do with your argument. know what your argument is clearly before you write the essay and the 'analysis' will be second nature and come easy.

Sorry for long and not very concise answer good luck! btw do you have any predictions for tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending