The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

Lots of questions starting to appear about applications for 2017 entry!

Just to keep these questions all in one place - and so you can get to know each other - here is the start of a mega-thread.

First questions for you to answer - did you come to one of the June or September Open Days, what subjects are you interested in, and what are your thoughts about Bristol?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Quite surprised by such few responses. I came to the open day on Saturday 17th and I absolutely loved Bristol. Loved the accommodation, the city and the course (Economics)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I'm hoping to apply for the degree in aerospace (meng) as an internationaI applicant.I heard that bristol requires 8 gcses but i only have 7.However i have A*A*AA at a levels. Will my gcses be a problem?
Original post by SDJ2000
I'm hoping to apply for the degree in aerospace (meng) as an internationaI applicant.I heard that bristol requires 8 gcses but i only have 7.However i have A*A*AA at a levels. Will my gcses be a problem?

If you check the course entry on the University website (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/aerospace/meng-aerospace/ ) you will see that the only required GCES are grade C in Mathematics and English. For A levels its A*AA including Mathematics and Physics, with one of these at A* - you wont get any extra credit for a 4th A level.

There are no 'secret' requirements. If this is what the University states, that is what is required regardless of what anyone else may suggest to you.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
If you check the course entry on the University website (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/aerospace/meng-aerospace/ ) you will see that the only required GCES are grade C in Mathematics and English. For A levels its A*AA including Mathematics and Physics, with one of these at A* - you wont get any extra credit for a 4th A level.

There are no 'secret' requirements. If this is what the University states, that is what is required regardless of what anyone else may suggest to you.

Thanks for your reply, but im still confused since they have mentioned about it in the following page,
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/governance/policies/admissions/14-19qualifications-changes.html#alevels
(Statement on A levels and gcse reforms, 1st point)
Original post by SDJ2000
Thanks for your reply, but im still confused since they have mentioned about it in the following page,
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/governance/policies/admissions/14-19qualifications-changes.html#alevels
(Statement on A levels and gcse reforms, 1st point)

This is the standard GCSE profile for most applicants, but many people will not have this. What it means is that you will only get credit for a maximum of 8 GCSEs, no more. If the GCSE requirement is 2 specific GCSE subjects (or whatever) for 'your course' that is the minimum required. If you present with more than that (or equivalent level 2 BTECs etc) you will score higher but you wont be rejected for not having 8 GCSEs.
(edited 7 years ago)
It sure is quiet here! I think I'll be applying for MSci Zoology. Anyone considering a similar degree?

I live in Hong Kong so I couldn't make it to the open days.:frown: I flew to the UK a few weeks ago and had a look around Bristol. It seems like a really nice and pretty city. The new life sciences building looks amazing too! I liked the atmosphere here quite a lot and the museum is nice as well.
The main downside is the course structure of Zoology. I don't really like how it's almost identical to Biology. Kinda defeats the purpose of studying Zoology in the first place, haha. It's not TOO bad- just not the best in my opinion.:tongue: But the uni and the city makes up for it!

This is probably way too early but has anyone looked at the accommodation? Wills Hall sounds good to me atm. I know it has a reputation for being posh and all but I've read that it's just a stereotype and that most people are actually quite down-to-earth.

What about you guys? What other unis do you have in mind?
I'll apply to Bristol for Law. Haven't been to any open days.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'll apply to Bristol for Law. Haven't been to any open days.

Don't forget to get your LNAT done!
Don't forget to get your LNAT done!

When do you think I should do it? And how long in advance do I need to book it?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
When do you think I should do it? And how long in advance do I need to book it?

Book it as soon as you can - and as long as you actually take it before the UK students deadline in January thats fine. If you are applying for Oxford or Cambridge you must take it before the Oct deadline. Too many people think 'I've got ages' and then discover all places to take it are booked out.

LNAT practice tests : http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/practice-test/
Other LNAT examples : http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/lnat/sample-lnat-questions
I haven't been to an open day but I'm considering applying to Bristol for psychology.
Next Open Day is next Friday 9 September - places still available - book now - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
I'm applying here!

Course: Economics
AS grades: AAAB in Maths, Politics, History and Biology respectively
A2 predictions: A*A*A/A*AA in Maths, Politics and History respectively
Accommodation: The Hawthorns (so close to the Econ dept. and on campus!)
Applying to: Durham, Bath, Bristol, Surrey and Cambridge/Exeter.

I know we don't apply for accommodation just yet, however that would be my first choice.
Hi I'm applying to Bristol for Medicine

GCSE : 4A* 7A
AS: AAAAB Biology, Maths, Computer Science, IT (taken early) and Chemisty
A2 predictions : A*AA Biology , Maths and Chemistry
UKCAT : VR- 760, QR-850, AR-690, SJ- Band 1, Average-767
Work Experience : Two weeks across three hospitals and various volunteering
I went to one of the June Open Days, but missed half of it because of a delayed flight (so frustrating!) but I loved it so so much, the city has such a nice feel to it, it's def gonna be one of my choices! I'm planning on studying Law, and have already done my LNAT but I feel like I did terribly in it, so I'm worried if Bristol reject me for that

Does anyone know what Bristol is like about predictions/AS results bc I went to Sheffield and they said they were fine if you got BBB in AS for an AAA course, since they're expecting you to improve a grade in a year, but Leeds said to not even bother applying for an AAA course if you get something like ABB?
Original post by kirstybecs

Does anyone know what Bristol is like about predictions/AS result

Bristol doesnt look at AS levels - for any course. Your GCSE grades and your predicted/achieved A level grades are more important (ie. what level are you working at now, not a year ago).

For the majority of courses, if you do not meet the minimum requirements then your application wont be considered. Remember that Bristol make 'contextual offers' to those applying from specific low performaing state schools - follow the link from the relevant course page to find this years list - and these will be at least one grade below the standard offer.

Also, some courses will make what are called 'aspirational offers' to people who are predicted one grade below the standard requirements (for applicants from all schools).You wont know which courses these are, so if you applying with one grade below its risky, but worth a shot (make sure your other choices are more realistic).

The alternative tactic of course is not to apply this year, to work your butt off (without the distraction of 'UCAS') and go for the best grades you can get, and apply with known grades next year for 2018 entry.
I'm applying to study Cellular & Molecular Medicine, I haven't been to any open days yet which I regret. :angry:
Original post by t.thompson22
I'm applying to study Cellular & Molecular Medicine, I haven't been to any open days yet which I regret.

Have a look at the 'Can't Make It?' page :
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/visit/

360 degree tours of departments and details of other chances to visit the Uni.
Bristol doesnt look at AS levels - for any course. Your GCSE grades and your predicted/achieved A level grades are more important (ie. what level are you working at now, not a year ago).

For the majority of courses, if you do not meet the minimum requirements then your application wont be considered. Remember that Bristol make 'contextual offers' to those applying from specific low performaing state schools - follow the link from the relevant course page to find this years list - and these will be at least one grade below the standard offer.

Also, some courses will make what are called 'aspirational offers' to people who are predicted one grade below the standard requirements (for applicants from all schools).You wont know which courses these are, so if you applying with one grade below its risky, but worth a shot (make sure your other choices are more realistic).

The alternative tactic of course is not to apply this year, to work your butt off (without the distraction of 'UCAS':wink: and go for the best grades you can get, and apply with known grades next year for 2018 entry.

I got 1A*, 5As and 5Bs at GCSE (top 10% of school) and then AAAB at AS. Would I be one of the 20-something% to not get an offer for Econ because they look at GCSE and not AS?

Quick Reply

Latest