The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

product
That's all very well, but the problem with it is that after the first couple of weeks of term the price of membership rises by about £20, and if you join before term starts its even cheaper. While the wait and see strategy may be effective, I'm sure most people would be upset to have wasted cash by delaying their joining...

20 divided by three or four is 5 or 6 pounds. it costs five or six pounds a year to delay your decision. id say its worth it to know if its worthwhile.
Reply 61
I was just wondering if Union members can buy tickets for boyfriends etc to come to balls, even if they're not at Oxford? (As in, are at a completely different university)
Reply 62
soph87
I was just wondering if Union members can buy tickets for boyfriends etc to come to balls, even if they're not at Oxford? (As in, are at a completely different university)

Don't quote me on this and hopefully someone will back me up. I don't think non Union members can attend the balls. I remember having to show my Union card and ticket to get entry into the balls.
I heard someone mention something about joining before coming up to Oxford and it being much cheaper - is this the case? Ordo you join during Freshers' week because I havn't recieved anything inthe post about it?
162 pounds if you join before you come up, if you join straight away when you come up its 170.

Later on its 190.
Reply 65
mikeyT
Don't quote me on this and hopefully someone will back me up. I don't think non Union members can attend the balls. I remember having to show my Union card and ticket to get entry into the balls.

Non-union members definitely can go to balls - I've been before. A union member just has to buy the ticket on your behalf and you go as their guest (though you don't have to actually be with them when you go in). Whether this is allowed if they're not an Oxford student I don't know as I know they required my bod card for id.
Reply 66
Hoofbeat
Non-union members definitely can go to balls - I've been before. A union member just has to buy the ticket on your behalf and you go as their guest (though you don't have to actually be with them when you go in). Whether this is allowed if they're not an Oxford student I don't know as I know they required my bod card for id.

The only problem with this is that tickets to non-members usually only go on sale if the event does not sell out to the members (who are offered them first). As balls are usually heavily subscribed (sometimes involving rather long queues) I would not bet on being able to get guest tickets for non-members...
Reply 67
product
The only problem with this is that tickets to non-members usually only go on sale if the event does not sell out to the members (who are offered them first). As balls are usually heavily subscribed (sometimes involving rather long queues) I would not bet on being able to get guest tickets for non-members...

That's not true. Non-members tickets are available at the same time as member tickets. My friend who was a member just bought mine when he bought his (I think there's a restriction as to how many non-member tickets a member can buy, but that's it). If you're member-friend is prepared to get there early (which they probably are just to get their own ticket) then you'll be fine.

Alternatively, if you're a non-member become friends with a performing group who are there and get one of their free tickets when one of the group suddenly can't make it :p:
Reply 68
Hoofbeat

Ahh. Didn't know that. The Union insisted on the members who were buying the tickets had everyone's membership card so I thought everyone attending had to be members.
How much are the very cheapest pints at the union?
Reply 70
£1. Tetley's. You might as well drink your own piss (£0).
Atm my piss would be considerably more alcoholic than Tetleys, and doubtless more tasty than said watery tramps excrements.

Sounds tempting, but how about a decent pint (grolsch or export or something like that?)
Hmm am thinking of applying, however the form is confusing me rather: Firstly it asks for your ID from your bod card, which freshers don't have yet, and secondly at the very end it says "Membership No" and has these boxes which, I presume, we're supposed to fill in. Does anybody know what, precisely, they're on about? Thaanks
Leave both blank.
Ah, thank you. So is that it? Is the debate over?
And: do officers require votes only from members of the union, or anyone, university-wide, because wouldn't the second mean that you were open to being hacked regardless?
Only Union Members are able to vote. One big perk of not being a member is that you can stop a hacking before it even starts by saying so. Although the St. Anne's hacks are actually quite decent, so occasionally I feel bad when doing so.
Reply 76
Just join, some of the best years of my life were spent within those hallowed walls. It's like everything you get out what you put in.

I have best friends, girlfriends, happy memories, sad memories, drunken memories, scars, broken hearts, newspaper cuttings, money, stories, travel, work, photos galore, and literally life and death from my Union membership.

If you get even 5% out of what I did you will have invested wisely.

So for £1 per week during your course you may as well join.
matthew
I have best friends, girlfriends, happy memories, sad memories, drunken memories, scars, broken hearts, newspaper cuttings, money, stories, travel, work, photos galore, and literally life and death from my Union membership.

The same would apply whatever you joined and put a lot into - be it the croquet club, a drama club, a rugby team, or the tea appreciation society (there must be one, surely?). And any of them will be long way cheaper than the union. Except maybe the Rugby club, if you include costs of a lifetime of restorative surgery.

I see Matthew has himself located at "the honourable society of Gray's Inn". Says it all, really.

Send lawyers, guns and money...

Prejudiced, me? Some of my best friends are lawyers; it's good for them.

DtS
Reply 78
matthew
you get out what you put in.

A cheque for £160?
Reply 79
matthew
Just join, some of the best years of my life were spent within those hallowed walls. It's like everything you get out what you put in.

If you get even 5% out of what I did you will have invested wisely.

So for £1 per week during your course you may as well join.

Matthew at Grays Inn.... Nobber!!! How are you?

N.b. bystanders, he's absolutely right. Join the Union and get involved; completely worth it.

Latest

Trending

Trending