ColossalAtom
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm suppose to pick one of the three, but I don't really know the difference between each of them.

Can anyone explain them in details?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ColossalAtom)
I'm suppose to pick one of the three, but I don't really know the difference between each of them.

Can anyone explain them in details?
Statistics - deals with data and weird equations. Probability, hypothesis testing, sample distributions, approximations, data handling, etc...

Mechanics - the most physics-y of all. Deals with forces, velocities and momentum in 2 dimensions, Newton's laws of motion and restitution, simple scenario modelling, strings, springs, tension, connected particles, projectiles, etc...

Decision - links well to computer science. Deals with algorithms to remember, graphs, shortest routes, etc...
ColossalAtom
(Original post by RDKGames)
Statistics - deals with data and weird equations. Probability, hypothesis testing, sample distributions, approximations, data handling, etc...

Mechanics - the most physics-y of all. Deals with forces, velocities and momentum in 2 dimensions, Newton's laws of motion and restitution, simple scenario modelling, strings, springs, tension, connected particles, projectiles, etc...

Decision - links well to computer science. Deals with algorithms to remember, graphs, shortest routes, etc...
I guess I should be doing mechanics then, since I'm doing Physics as well. Even though I don't plan to do Maths or Physics at uni.
drinktheoceans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The person above described it quite well.

I've only done Decision Mathematics 1 and Statistics 1 and 2 (AS Maths and Further Maths) and I found that D1 was probably the easiest module I did this year, although I quite liked Statistics 2 (S1 was boring).

Mechanics is generally considered to be the hardest set of applied modules in Maths by most people but if you're into Physics and feel that it plays to your strengths then you might enjoy doing mechanics more than the others.
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do mechanics
groovygrace143
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally after having done maths a level in a year at once, Statistics was definitely the easiest module to do well in, it becomes much for theoretical and logical with lots more equations than guess work, unlike gcse maths!
ColossalAtom
I chose Mechanics. It would be illogical to not pick it, especially if I'm doing Physics as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads