The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Apparently it's about 10:1 application/acceptance ratio overall.

Although I imagine certain subjects such as Law are probably more competitive than others.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
i heard somewheer that they give more offers than there are places. is there anywhere i can get these statistics from?
Reply 3
Everywhere gives more offers than places, obviously. Of those they give offers to, some will choose other unis, some won't get the grades.
So maybe they make three or four offers for every place. I don't think they'd release the statistics, so I doubt you'll find them.
Reply 4
does this apply to oxbridge also?
Reply 5
Oxbridge won't give anywhere near as many offers:tongue:laces, because almost everybody will accept their offer and almost all of them will get the grades. And as the quality of applicant is arguably a tiny bit higher (although loaaads of Bristol students also applied to Oxbridge), it's a lot more competitive overall.

Having said that, Bristol is still pretty competitive. Yes they use your UCAS form, but that includes almost everything you've ever done in your life, including all your grades. And there's no way of telling why people got rejected a lot of the time, but if you do you can try contacting them and asking for some feedback (no guarantee they'll provide it though). If you like Bristol, and are predicted the required grades, then just apply.
Bristol is in the top 3 universities in the country which helps make it the most oversubscribed university in the country. As said already, there is an average of 10 applicants for every place. For things like vet science you will be looking at even more than that, perhaps even as many as 20 applicants per place, but that is the hardest subject in the country to get in to, so don't let me put you off.

The university does give out more offers than places because invariably some people will reject them to go to oxbridge or somewhere else, but it isn't a huge amount. You could simply be looking at an extra 30% of offers made out of the total number of places. All universities do it, some more than others and it all depends on the course. Something competitive, like vet science, at one of the better unis like Bristol, will have less offers rejected by potential students, so they can make fewer offers. RVC for example used to interview 420 people and make about 390 offers for about 250 places, because some of the vet students rejected them in favour of some of the better vet schools(bit debateable).

It usually says in your subject prospectus how many applicantions they get, how many interviews(if any are made) and how many offers are given out.
Reply 7
it very much depends on your subject. Engineering/sciences/medic/law/english are very popular
ch0c0h01ic
Bristol is in the top 3 universities in the country

More like top 10.
Reply 9
sequence123
More like top 10.

i agree.. bristol isn't top 3
6th just behind of UCL but soon to be overtaken by warwick in the next few years
Reply 11
Going purely on applications per place (Averages 13:1) Bristol is arguably the most competitive uni in the UK. Of course it depends on the course!

Hardly surprising considering it's probably a Top 5 Engineering university in one of the most popular student cities in the UK.
Reply 12
I don't think you can go purely on 'overall league standings'. I would judge on subject standing. Take for instance politics - 4th in the standings (yet arguably top in the country if we go on a PURE politics course.....).

This said, obviously Bristol is very competitive.
It depends where and at what statistics you use.

I can't remember where it was, but within the last few days on the news or in one of the papers, Oxbridge and Bristol were described as being the top three academic universities in the country.

Statistics can be twisted and manipulated to show any view or trend.
Reply 14
On the contrary it isn't as competitive as its made out to be for my subject at least which is engineering. I got an offer despite my O levels being not that good and neither were my AS levels as brilliant as they would one think would command. Give it a shot: write a kick-ass PS, get a good reference and just work hard. I am sure you will get through :smile:.

:tee:
Very, don't bother applying.
Reply 16
ch0c0h01ic
Bristol is in the top 3 universities in the country which helps make it the most oversubscribed university in the country.

Bristol is neither in the top 3 universities (regardless of how much you want to think it is), nor is it the most oversubscribed. Are you sure you aren't describing LSE, which is the most subscribed university and arguably within the top 3 institutions in the country.
db
Bristol is neither in the top 3 universities (regardless of how much you want to think it is), nor is it the most oversubscribed. Are you sure you aren't describing LSE, which is the most subscribed university and arguably within the top 3 institutions in the country.

I've read that Bristol is the uni with the most applicants per place. But, as has been said countless time by numerous people, stats can say whatever you want them to.
Reply 18
ch0c0h01ic
Bristol is in the top 3 universities in the country which helps make it the most oversubscribed university in the country.

As much as I would like this to be true, that is simply wishful thinking. Bristol is a top 10 uni, just outside the top 5. In my opinion the rankings are:
Oxbridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
Bristol
Thus making it a soolid 7:smile:

Subject specific rankings will be quite different though but overall I'd say this is a quite accurate ranking.
Cliché
As much as I would like this to be true, that is simply wishful thinking. Bristol is a top 10 uni, just outside the top 5. In my opinion the rankings are:
Oxbridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
Bristol
Thus making it a soolid 7:smile:

Subject specific rankings will be quite different though but overall I'd say this is a quite accurate ranking.

want is brizzie renowned for btw like LSE is economics warwick is business imperial is engineering and medicine whats bristol???

Latest

Trending

Trending