The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Gap Year

This question is a little specific. Basically I want to reapply next year if I get the best predicted grades in August. Currently I have a Bristol Aero offer as my top choice. So these are my questions regarding this scenario:

1. Applying to Oxbridge and US next year so I concluded I should only apply with 4A* for the best shot. Is this the right conclusion? What are the lowest my grades can be to have a realistic decent shot at these unis or even at least get a Bristol offer again?

2. Based on my predicament in q1 I might have to make my gap year decision on results day. That is whether to defer or reject the Bristol offer (I plan on taking a gap year either way, just only reapply with great grades) Looking online I'm unsure whether Bristol would even allow me to defer so late and I also feel bad that anyone who got rejected might not get their offer because I'm telling them so late if I do reapply. Honestly how do I go about this?

3. When do I start looking at accommodation and other uni things in this situation? Especially if Bristol does not let me defer on results day I'll be going to uni so I'll need some arrangements as a back up right? How do I go about this too?

4. When do I accept my firm and insurance? When do I let my teachers know I might take a gap year?

Sorry for the long message the situation is just so complicated and thanks in advance for your help.
Reply 1
Not true and not a useful response.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Firstly, Bristol is 'better' for Aero-Engineering than Oxford,
Its links to industry are excellent and Unis like Bristol, Bath and Southampton are the most competitive for this subject.
The idea that 'just because its Oxford' is not a reason for going there when you have the chance of Bristol.

Ask for a gap year now, and start planning what you are going to do.
Then get the grades for Bristol.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Firstly, Bristol is 'better' for Aero-Engineering than Oxford,
Its links to industry are excellent and Unis like Bristol, Bath and Southampton are the most competitive for this subject.
The idea that 'just because its Oxford' is not a reason for going there when you have the chance of Bristol.
Ask for a gap year now, and start planning what you are going to do.
Then get the grades for Bristol.

Exactly it is better but I'm considering applying general engineering instead so I want to apply Cambridge as their general engineering course is very good, thanks for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending