The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hey-It's-Cerian
Yeah, I study WJEC Geography (Route B). History is actually one of the better subjects I've chosen. Last year, we studied Role/Status of Women which was the most boring topic in the universe. We sat that unit last year and I had a D, but I was lazy and didn't revise. Thank god I'm able to re-sit. It's the same with Core Science; I didn't revise for that either so I was grateful for the C. I am a bit of a lazy student but I'm actually going to put in the effort this year so I can get the A and B grades I'm aiming for.

Yeah, I am studying WJEC Geog. I enjoyed it in Years 7-9, but the spec for GCSE is just boring if I'm honest. I'm currently finishing my controlled assessment and I can't wait to get it over with! Congratulations for all your Year 10 modular grades; wish I was as intelligent as you. :biggrin:

For A Levels, I'm hoping to do Biology, Chemistry and I.C.T. I really want to do a 4th A Level, but I've no idea what. I might take one or two BTECs...I'm hoping to study forensic pathology so I guess I'm heading down the medical route. What about you? Got any ideas regarding your A Level choices/career path? Here's hoping you worm out of Welsh Bacc.

Once again, good luck with your Maths exams this week, and all the other exams you're sitting this year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I do Route A, which I enjoy, I don't really know what Route B involves. Good luck with your history re-sit! Are you redoing science as well or just aiming for a higher grade with Additional?

I do hate controlled assessments, my Geography one was also very boring; we studied pebble sizes... Yeah... And thank you, I'm honoured, but trust me I'm not any more intelligent than you, I'm just quite good at memorising and had some nice papers haha :smile:

Those sound like good choices! Perhaps you could do something like sociology or psychology as a 4th A Level to help with some of the psychological/social side of Forensics, if that's an aspect you're interested in.

I want to study medicine, so will be taking Triple Science and English Literature. The Physics A Level includes an options unit and I'm hoping we'll study Medical Physics, as I find that sort of thing so interesting.

Thank you! The fact I have a Maths GCSE tomorrow makes me a bit queasy, but I'm motivated knowing I won't have to do it again if I do well!
Aqa english Language paper 1 tomoro ..mocks ! Any tips ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1182
Just wanted to make an announcement that I will be linking @_gcx 's guide in the OP so if you need any resources this is the place to find them. :biggrin:

- JTran38
Original post by Tombre
Ahh I do Route A, which I enjoy, I don't really know what Route B involves. Good luck with your history re-sit! Are you redoing science as well or just aiming for a higher grade with Additional?

I do hate controlled assessments, my Geography one was also very boring; we studied pebble sizes... Yeah... And thank you, I'm honoured, but trust me I'm not any more intelligent than you, I'm just quite good at memorising and had some nice papers haha :smile:

Those sound like good choices! Perhaps you could do something like sociology or psychology as a 4th A Level to help with some of the psychological/social side of Forensics, if that's an aspect you're interested in.

I want to study medicine, so will be taking Triple Science and English Literature. The Physics A Level includes an options unit and I'm hoping we'll study Medical Physics, as I find that sort of thing so interesting.

Thank you! The fact I have a Maths GCSE tomorrow makes me a bit queasy, but I'm motivated knowing I won't have to do it again if I do well!

Thanks for the luck in History, I'm going to need it lol. Well, History isn't too bad...I just need to revise and work on time management. I did ask if I could re-sit Core Science, but I wasn't allowed (unfortunately) so I just have to work twice as hard for additional and hopefully get an A or A* grade to compensate for the C. I don't believe a C is actually my true ability...I'm just a bit lazy, like I mentioned in my last post.

I thought about taking Psychology or Sociology before, but that was when I wanted to study (forensic) psychology. I suppose they could still benefit me though, with regards to the social/psychological side of forensics, like you said.

I hope you get the grades required to study those at A Level. I don't really know what medical physics is, if I'm honest, but if that's what you're interested in, I say go for it! I wish you the best of luck for tomorrow's Maths paper! Out of curiosity, what paper are you sitting? I sat Intermediate for Numeracy (Set 2 Maths) but maybe I'll be able to sit Higher if I put in some effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umar39
We're the only people doing WJEC for English :five:
Although I don't know why we are celebrating we have the hardest specification :frown:

i though id never find anyone!!!! are any of you good at english cuz i feel like im failing it!!!
Thanks for the luck in History, I'm going to need it lol. Well, History isn't too bad...I just need to revise and work on time management. I did ask if I could re-sit Core Science, but I wasn't allowed (unfortunately) so I just have to work twice as hard for additional and hopefully get an A or A* grade to compensate for the C. I don't believe a C is actually my true ability...I'm just a bit lazy, like I mentioned in my last post.

I thought about taking Psychology or Sociology before, but that was when I wanted to study (forensic) psychology. I suppose they could still benefit me though, with regards to the social/psychological side of forensics, like you said.

I hope you get the grades required to study those at A Level. I don't really know what medical physics is, if I'm honest, but if that's what you're interested in, I say go for it! I wish you the best of luck for tomorrow's Maths paper! Out of curiosity, what paper are you sitting? I sat Intermediate for Numeracy (Set 2 Maths) but maybe I'll be able to sit Higher if I put in some effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you can smash Additional! Besides, I know there is an exam board difference, but it's probably the same, I found the Additional topics in my sciences more interesting than the Core topics, it's probably because they're more in-depth.

Thank you! And again! I'm sitting the higher paper. I'm sure you'll be allowed to sit Higher, there's no harm in trying!
Original post by patriciaanne
Ugggh English lit paper 2 mock tomorrow :frown: any tips for structuring your response to unseen poetry part 2 (comparing)?

Start with a topic sentence saying what both has then what the difference is. Go into more detail explaining what poem 1 does, embedding quotes, linking to the question and saying what the poet does. Do this constantly throughout your paragraphs to show understanding and fluidity. Then move onto poem 2 doing the same and then end it off with why they are different. Do this for all 3 of your paragraphs.

Hope this helped :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you sent this yesterday so hope it went well today :smile: :K:
Original post by tasha_tah
Aqa english Language paper 1 tomoro ..mocks ! Any tips ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember that question 2 and 3 are only 8 marks so don't go into so much detail that you would do for question 4. Embed quotes and remember to always check you're answering the question. Be careful that you don't repeat yourself. Also give yourself time for the creative writing coz it's half the marks. For creative writing use a range of punctuation, change up the structure and try to end on a twist or unexpected event. Good luck! Mine is in about 2 weeks and a bit

Hope this was useful :smile:
Original post by MainlyMathsHelp
Remember that question 2 and 3 are only 8 marks so don't go into so much detail that you would do for question 4. Embed quotes and remember to always check you're answering the question. Be careful that you don't repeat yourself. Also give yourself time for the creative writing coz it's half the marks. For creative writing use a range of punctuation, change up the structure and try to end on a twist or unexpected event. Good luck! Mine is in about 2 weeks and a bit

Hope this was useful :smile:

Thank uuu <3 indeed usefulll

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any idea about the grade boundaries for Wjec English language?
I really want an estimate, like what marks would you need for 7/8 out of 80 in both papers?
Yeah, I study WJEC Geography (Route B). History is actually one of the better subjects I've chosen. Last year, we studied Role/Status of Women which was the most boring topic in the universe. We sat that unit last year and I had a D, but I was lazy and didn't revise. Thank god I'm able to re-sit. It's the same with Core Science; I didn't revise for that either so I was grateful for the C. I am a bit of a lazy student but I'm actually going to put in the effort this year so I can get the A and B grades I'm aiming for.

Yeah, I am studying WJEC Geog. I enjoyed it in Years 7-9, but the spec for GCSE is just boring if I'm honest. I'm currently finishing my controlled assessment and I can't wait to get it over with! Congratulations for all your Year 10 modular grades; wish I was as intelligent as you. :biggrin:

For A Levels, I'm hoping to do Biology, Chemistry and I.C.T. I really want to do a 4th A Level, but I've no idea what. I might take one or two BTECs...I'm hoping to study forensic pathology so I guess I'm heading down the medical route. What about you? Got any ideas regarding your A Level choices/career path? Here's hoping you worm out of Welsh Bacc.

Once again, good luck with your Maths exams this week, and all the other exams you're sitting this year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg no way are you thinking of studying forensic pathology!!!!!!!
That's crazy, because I also want to!! I think it's such an awesome subject!
For A-level I think I'm going to do Maths, Chem, Bio & Psychology!!
I'm hoping to go and study in America but I want to be a forensic pathologist too!! (Sorry if I seem rather excited, but I just felt like I was the only crazy person that wanted a career in forensic pathology haha) anyways, if you want any info or anything, don't hesitate to pm me!!!!
Anyone else finding it massively hard to figure out which A levels to do? Like I'm just a bit stuck on whether to do four or three because atm I'm choosing Maths, Spanish and Economics, and might possibly choose a fourth being either Politics or Further Maths. I'm interesting in maybe taking an Economics and Language joint degree and every top university wants F.Maths for Economocs but no one mentions a joint degree. I would choose Politics because Language degrees seem to like that. So shiuld I go for one of the two(bearing in mind that I'm not definite on the degree I want to do)? Or just stick with three a levels and no more?
Original post by thepewds_
My school's said it's compulsory to write a personal statement if you're applying for A levels. Has anyone else's? I've no clue what to write about

Yes we have been told we have to do a personal statement. This is in leicestershire , so could be different for different areas. Also, have a look at Ucas Progress , they give a rough guide on how to write one.
I'm VERY late... But oh well. YOLO.
My name is Nailah
My hobbies include shopping, doing YouTube videos and hanging out friends. I also have a big interest in makeup and of course watching TV shows.
Subjects I'm studying at GCSE's are:

Spoiler

Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Yes we have been told we have to do a personal statement. This is in leicestershire , so could be different for different areas. Also, have a look at Ucas Progress , they give a rough guide on how to write one.

I have never been told to write a personal statement for six forms. I don't think Bradford do it. Anyway how is your revisionv going? When do you have mocks?
Hi, I just got my Core Science ISA result back, and I got 48/50. I was wandering whether this would equate to 100 UMS points, (as in normal exams there is a cap point when about 55/60 becomes 100 UMS points), or would it just be 96 UMS points, or around that figure?
Original post by bjt1882
Hi, I just got my Core Science ISA result back, and I got 48/50. I was wandering whether this would equate to 100 UMS points, (as in normal exams there is a cap point when about 55/60 becomes 100 UMS points), or would it just be 96 UMS points, or around that figure?

It should be 100UMS but grade boundaries change every year

Posted from TSR Mobile
My Exam Boards:

Maths - Edexcel
English Lit - AQA
English Lang - AQA
Physics - AQA
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Computing - OCR
Religious Education - AQA
Fine Art - I have no clue

Is anyone else kinda terrified and also certain, that they're going to fail this year?

..only me?

...cool
Original post by hxmera
My Exam Boards:

Maths - Edexcel
English Lit - AQA
English Lang - AQA
Physics - AQA
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Computing - OCR
Religious Education - AQA
Fine Art - I have no clue

Is anyone else kinda terrified and also certain, that they're going to fail this year?

..only me?

...cool

Oh come on, Im sure you'll do great :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4407162#primary_content I've started to do a GYG, if anyone is interested in checking it out!

Latest