The Student Room Group

Which science at A-level is harder

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Peters
I was wondering which science from Physics, Chemistry, and Biology is the hardest because I have heard that Chemistry is hard, but I wanted to hear from more people since I may do chemistry at A-level

Please also give a reason why

Physics - The hardest and most difficult. Typically only taken by the smartest students. Lots of pointless calculations about strings and weights, **** tonnes of practicals too. If you aren't taking A Level maths for this, you're often ****ed. Mechanics is dead for this :/. Nuclear physics is quite fun though.

Chemistry - Difficult science, yet perhaps over-exaggerated, given that so many medicine rejects take it and cock up in it. They then blame it on the difficulty on the subject, rather than their own preparation. Calculations become very simple after practice, so does periodicity, nomenclature, reactions and analysis.

Biology - Offen seen as the easiest, and the most interesting science (dare I say). It leads to a lot of non-science folk taking it and ****ing it up in the process. Requires in depth knowledge of mark schemes rather than genuine understanding, especially when you consider the number of underlined words in some mark schemes. Memorise the textbooks and mark schemes and you'll be on your way to A*/A.

Edit: Also, I took all three at AS (and achieved AAA). My best was chemistry, my worst was physics. Not sure if everyone else giving suggestions have taken all three.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you're clever, physics is easiest. Not a lot to do. Just understand a few things really well. BOOM A*.

If you're not very clever but great at remember tons of **** about plants, biology is the one for you.

Chemistry is full of ebola.

SS
Original post by Frank Peters
I'd like to say that Im a person who isnt very good at manipulating texts and applying to different areas, but I'm really good at memorising

In which case you will find biology the easiest and physics the hardest xx
Reply 23
Imo Physics AS was sometimes quite similar to what I did at GCSE, so I found the schoolwork quite easy and the content lacking. I found Biology a lot more difficult because it just seemed to have soooo much content, pages upon pages of it, and was a much bigger jump from GCSE so during the year I found it harder. Come exam time I did far better in Bio though, but I put a LOT more work into it because I found it harder and I found it more interesting, even though I want to apply for Maths at uni. :tongue:

At the end of the day, the question you're asking is very subjective, and I wouldn't call one harder than the other really. Choose what you like and find interesting, put the effort in and voila.:top:
Reply 24
QUE? Why yall think phy is harder than chem?? Chem A2 made me want to scratch my brain out (though i did end up with an a*) XD
Reply 25
I only study Physics and Chemistry at A level so I can't say too much about Biology.

Although I enjoy physics a lot more, I find chemistry way easier. Chemistry is full of memorising information, a lot of which is fairly easy to grasp (especially physical, periodic table and energy). They give away so many free marks with all these moles/ratio/enthalpy questions whereas physics questions will leave you thinking for longer.

Not to sound blunt but chemistry really is a mark scheme subject like maths. Do a lot of questions and it's easy to learn and score well . Physics on the other hand requires a lot more skill. You can end up seeing some exam questions and have no idea what the examiner is looking for to get full marks on it.

Chemistry has the highest grade boundaries in science for a reason...

All great subjects anyways.
Reply 26
Good Thread
Original post by meridian0
don't higher grade boundaries suggest people do better because it's easier...?

A lot of plebs take biology. They drag the boundaries down.
I've only did bio at AS and it wasn't difficult but there's so much content and memorisation. If you revise consistently throughout the year and do loads of pass papers I guess it would be easy. I dunno about physics and Chem. From what I've heard from friends Chem is really hard
Reply 29
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Physics - The hardest and most difficult. Typically only taken by the smartest students. Lots of pointless calculations about strings and weights, **** tonnes of practicals too. If you aren't taking A Level maths for this, you're often ****ed. Mechanics is dead for this :/. Nuclear physics is quite fun though.

Chemistry - Difficult science, yet perhaps over-exaggerated, given that so many medicine rejects take it and cock up in it. They then blame it on the difficulty on the subject, rather than their own preparation. Calculations become very simple after practice, so does periodicity, nomenclature, reactions and analysis.

Biology - Offen seen as the easiest, and the most interesting science (dare I say). It leads to a lot of non-science folk taking it and ****ing it up in the process. Requires in depth knowledge of mark schemes rather than genuine understanding, especially when you consider the number of underlined words in some mark schemes. Memorise the textbooks and mark schemes and you'll be on your way to A*/A.

Edit: Also, I took all three at AS (and achieved AAA). My best was chemistry, my worst was physics. Not sure if everyone else giving suggestions have taken all three.

Nice summary.
I think it says a lot about GCSE maths that people struggle with the maths in A level physics even though the maths itself is very basic.
Original post by B_9710
Nice summary.
I think it says a lot about GCSE maths that people struggle with the maths in A level physics even though the maths itself is very basic.

It's because it's set in applied scenarios. The maths in A Level Maths doesn't vary much year-over-year, so as long as you do the past papers, it's usually fine. In physics, they can vary a lot more.

Have ever sat the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge? that's got good examples of fairly difficult maths questions, but with GCSE level maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
It's because it's set in applied scenarios. The maths in A Level Maths doesn't vary much year-over-year, so as long as you do the past papers, it's usually fine. In physics, they can vary a lot more.

Have ever sat the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge? that's got good examples of fairly difficult maths questions, but with GCSE level maths.

No never sat it. What course you doing at uni?
Original post by B_9710
No never sat it. What course you doing at uni?

Want to do medicine ( I only got my AS results on Thursday, haha). I'll likely pick chemistry as my fifth option though. What're you doing/plan on doing?
Reply 33
Want to do medicine ( I only got my AS results on Thursday, haha). I'll likely pick chemistry as my fifth option though. What're you doing/plan on doing?

Doing maths at uni.
Did you get good results then?
lol where ma fellow biology ppl at feeling attacked :bike:
Original post by B_9710
Doing maths at uni.
Did you get good results then?

Yeah, got 4A. Maths was pretty painful for me. School made us do D1 maths, and it's the most boring **** ever.
Original post by ImagineCats
lol where ma fellow biology ppl at feeling attacked :bike:

Most of the biology people are attacking themselves.
Most of the biology people are attacking themselves.

I worked hard to get my biology grades I can't roast myself my lack of confidence cannot be decreased
Original post by ImagineCats
I worked hard to get my biology grades I can't roast myself my lack of confidence cannot be decreased

Apparently roasted cats taste good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apparently roasted cats taste good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

diD YOU JUST

Quick Reply

Latest