The Student Room Group

psychology vs sociology a level

wondering whether to take psychology or sociology at a level?
psychology seems more interesting but the science part is putting me off, i’m not that great at science so im not sure if there’s a lot of it in psychology or not? because if there is and it’s difficult then i’d rather not take it, but if the science isn’t that difficult to understand then i think it would be fine.

been seeing a lot of mixed opinions so i’m honestly not sure which to take, anyone have any advice ?
my other a levels would be history politics and epq
thanks
Original post by uswr383818
wondering whether to take psychology or sociology at a level?
psychology seems more interesting but the science part is putting me off, i’m not that great at science so im not sure if there’s a lot of it in psychology or not? because if there is and it’s difficult then i’d rather not take it, but if the science isn’t that difficult to understand then i think it would be fine.

been seeing a lot of mixed opinions so i’m honestly not sure which to take, anyone have any advice ?
my other a levels would be history politics and epq
thanks

Hi! Year 13 Psychology student here…I have found that a lot of Psychology A level is research methods (40% of the exams!!) and this is mostly made up of stats tests, experimental designs and ethics. In terms of science, the amount of scientific processes you need to know is minimal, as it only really comes up in one topic and the only process is synaptic transmission, which is worth maximum 6 marks. It depends on what exam board you do- but for AQA there is lots of research methods and not much science.
Reply 2
Sociology - useful social science that will give you valuable context for your other A levels, and could lead to a hundred different degree subjects.
Reply 3
hihi!! current y13 psych student here!! psychology is so so so interesting but the science in it is a bit harder than gcse but nowhere near as hard as a level! you should be okay, there’s only one unit that’s fully sciencey. i think sociology would probably fit better with ur other a levels tho!!

Quick Reply

Latest