The Student Room Group

Why does God allow so much suffering?

It doesn't make any sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

1.) He doesn't care and is an apathetic god.
2.) He is cruel and wants these things to happen, maybe even influences them.
3.) He doesn't want to interfere with free will and it is people who do bad things, not god.
4.) He doesn't exist and stuff happens.

I personally go with option four. Bad stuff happens to good people because there are no forces that control good or bad or dish it out evenly. Stuff just happens by coincidence or because of the choices people make. Blessings, prayer, luck, karma - none of them have any basis in my opinion.
It could be argued, that without suffering, there would be no compassion.
Also, I understand from some religious points of view that suffering on earth exists as it is a test from God to see how people react to that suffering, in one way being the "test of life".
Original post by davidguettafan
It doesn't make any sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're posting this question, on what is, a predominantly atheist/agnostic site.

R.I.P
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
Also, I understand from some religious points of view that suffering on earth exists as it is a test from God to see how people react to that suffering, in one way being the "test of life".

lol so people suffer so that God can test people. God knows everything so he knows who'll pass the test before the test takes place and the people who fail the test end up in hell for failing a test that God knew they'd fail before they were even born

makes sense
Why not? :biggrin:
Original post by Shumaya
lol so people suffer so that God can test people. God knows everything so he knows who'll pass the test before the test takes place and the people who fail the test end up in hell for failing a test that God knew they'd fail before they were even born

makes sense

Yeah I agree with that, I was just reiterating what I wrote in my RS exam for good measure.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You're posting this question, on what is, a predominantly atheist/agnostic site.

R.I.P

It's actually around 50/50 I think.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

R.I.P

He has already asked this before if i am not mistaken
Reply 9
Who?
Reply 10
Original post by hxfsxh
Yeah I agree with that, I was just reiterating what I wrote in my RS exam for good measure.

God that was an answer in RS?
What a load of ****.
Original post by PandaCalavera
1.) He doesn't care and is an apathetic god.
2.) He is cruel and wants these things to happen, maybe even influences them.
3.) He doesn't want to interfere with free will and it is people who do bad things, not god.
4.) He doesn't exist and stuff happens.

You forgot number 5.

5) You were bad in a past life and this is your punishment.
Original post by hxfsxh

:laugh: This topic always got heated in my class
Reply 13
Original post by hxfsxh

1. That is like saying "illness is good because without it there would be no medicine"
2. God is omniscient, so a test would only reaffirm what God already knows.
It's a mystery known only to God
Original post by champ_mc99
It's actually around 50/50 I think.

What a shame.
He either doesn't exist or does and doesn't give a ****, so any obedience to or worship of him is a waste of time either way.
Original post by thinkabout
You forgot number 5.

5) You were bad in a past life and this is your punishment.

Thank you! I actually started thinking about reincarnation after I made the post! I suppose it still falls under god being pretty cruel though/causing it intentionally.
Either he does not care (in which case you shouldn't be worshipping him) or is powerless to intervene (in which case who cares if you worship him cos he can't do nowt).

Or you know... Maybe he doesn't exist.
Cause there's no god.

Atheist BURN

God is evil. Misaki mode- "Welcome to the nhk"

God could exist or not exist. Agnostic

God is a contradiction- Logic

I won't share which one i am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending