The Student Room Group

I am insecure about my nose - is a sin in Christianity to get a nosejob?

I am very insecure about my nose, it is massive and rounded, I am a male btw. I would look so much better with a nose job, but I don't want to sin towards God. I fear that me asking and researching whether it is permissible or not is my way of trying to fight the inevtiable truth that it's a sin, but please help me. I really want it done.
I'm afraid you cannot get a nose job. Don't you know that Jesus said unto his disciples "The Lord hast made thy nose in His image. Change it not, for He is easily displeased."
I wouldn't necessarily say its a sin but well let me say it like this. God created you, every single inch of your body from your feet all the way to your hair, he chose the colour of your eyes, where your birthmarks are even how tall you are/ going to be. God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving. Now why would you want to change the way God made you. The Bible says to forget about outward appearance and focus on “that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight”.

I would also examine my heart and look at my motive around why I want this surgery, Jesus said to not be in the world but out of it, so dont care of things of this world, what people think or say, how the beauty standards are etc etc. I am also insecure about many things in my body, some are things that I can't change but I, well by time realised that I need not to focus on these things but on other things like my anger, or fear, things that matter and will affect my walk with God.

I want to leave you with this, getting a nosejob is not a sin but remeber that our society puts way too much emphasis on the body and not enough on the inside. God doesn’t do that. Remember what God told Samuel in 1 Samuel 16:7…
Don’t judge by a man’s face or height… I don’t make decisions the way you do! Men judge by outward appearance but I look at a man’s thoughts and intentions. Focus on God, he has a plan for you, he wants to work within you and develop within you.

Its funny how I give advice about God and religion when I myslef sin so much, at least i'm trying haha, anyway good luck boss on your journey.
Original post by intheimageofGOD
I wouldn't necessarily say its a sin but well let me say it like this. God created you, every single inch of your body from your feet all the way to your hair, he chose the colour of your eyes, where your birthmarks are even how tall you are/ going to be. God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving. Now why would you want to change the way God made you.

God also made people who were born with a hole in their heart. He made conjoined twins. He made people who were born with their heart literally outside their chest. Should nothing be fixed then?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
God also made people who were born with a hole in their heart. He made conjoined twins. He made people who were born with their heart literally outside their chest. Should nothing be fixed then?

first of all as you are a member of the volunteering team, making fun of a religion isnt the most professional thing to do as you did above.

secondly, you want a debate lets do this I love these types of questions as they are so easily answered in the Bible but nobody seems to check it, its like asking whats an answer to a maths equation when you havent looked at the textbook.
anyway, there are two important concepts you need to understnard, free will and sin, in genesis we are told that when sin entered the world so when humans disobeyd God, with their free will, then sin and with that death and disease came into the world.

Nature and our bodies are subject to decay because our world suffers from the brokenness and corruption of evil. One of the things that has gone wrong is our relationship with nature is broken - our interaction with nature is now antagonistic in many instances, and the diseases and infirmities we experience are a product of that. In addition, the consequence of our sin is ultimately death, which is a breakdown of our bodies resulting in the end of our physical existence.

All these are indicators that something has gone wrong in our world, and why we are invited to be inhabitants of a new world through Jesus, one that isn't subject to the decay, brokenness and corruption of evil.
so Suffering occurs because of 1.free will and 2. we live in a broken world.

We live in an evil world, and with evilness comes suffering, pain, abnormalities and death but Jesus did something about that, he made it so that we can live in a world without any of that isn't that amazing, well i find it amazing.

What do you believe in can i ask?
first of all as you are a member of the volunteering team, making fun of a religion isnt the most professional thing to do as you did above.

secondly, you want a debate lets do this I love these types of questions as they are so easily answered in the Bible but nobody seems to check it, its like asking whats an answer to a maths equation when you havent looked at the textbook.
anyway, there are two important concepts you need to understnard, free will and sin, in genesis we are told that when sin entered the world so when humans disobeyd God, with their free will, then sin and with that death and disease came into the world.

Nature and our bodies are subject to decay because our world suffers from the brokenness and corruption of evil. One of the things that has gone wrong is our relationship with nature is broken - our interaction with nature is now antagonistic in many instances, and the diseases and infirmities we experience are a product of that. In addition, the consequence of our sin is ultimately death, which is a breakdown of our bodies resulting in the end of our physical existence.

All these are indicators that something has gone wrong in our world, and why we are invited to be inhabitants of a new world through Jesus, one that isn't subject to the decay, brokenness and corruption of evil.
so Suffering occurs because of 1.free will and 2. we live in a broken world.

We live in an evil world, and with evilness comes suffering, pain, abnormalities and death but Jesus did something about that, he made it so that we can live in a world without any of that isn't that amazing, well i find it amazing.

What do you believe in can i ask?

I'm a church going, God fearing, Roman Catholic.

However, amazingly, I also have a sense of humour and the ability to play devil's advocate (pardon the pun).

I'm going to move this thread into a more appropriate spot.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm a church going, God fearing, Roman Catholic.

However, amazingly, I also have a sense of humour and the ability to play devil's advocate (pardon the pun).

Oh cool. Still this guys asking for advice on a matter thats quite important to him, you know what i mean, a time and a place. Anyway, well damm that took me a while to write just for you to believe in the same God I do that is quite hilarous, i have a test in two days and here I am, i think ima go revise. God bless.
Oh cool. Still this guys asking for advice on a matter thats quite important to him, you know what i mean, a time and a place.

A world without humour would be very dull, but fine...

Original post by anonytofs
I am very insecure about my nose, it is massive and rounded, I am a male btw. I would look so much better with a nose job, but I don't want to sin towards God. I fear that me asking and researching whether it is permissible or not is my way of trying to fight the inevtiable truth that it's a sin, but please help me. I really want it done.

It's not a sin - you can change your nose if you want.
Reply 8

No, it's not a sin.
Jesus healed people with disfigurements such as leprosy.

What can lead to sin though is being insecure about whether Christ is really in you .. ..
This is why the disciples kept getting things wrong while Jesus was with them, he needed to die for our sin to make the Holy Spirit available .. . they received at Pentecost and began to experience power over all sin.

"have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?
(Acts 19v2-6, see also Acts 2v4, 33; 10v44-48)
Reply 9

God accepts you as you are but would like you to live in harmony wit yourself as well. If this means changing the size and shape of your nose I don’t think he’d be offended.
Reply 10
as long as you say 12 Pater Nostrils you will be forgiven

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending