The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Falguni
any veggies out there?
anyone ever tried being veggie and then gave up?

I'm veggie just for this month for shraven...
i'm not sure if i could do it forever - but then again im not against eating meat...
Reply 2
ive always been a veggie, my whole family is.
Reply 3
Falguni
ive always been a veggie, my whole family is.

s'good - admiration for veggie...

Although i have to say alot of the time during lunch i just eat dem linda mccartney or quorn burgers which tastes like meat. i don't really know if that defies the idea of being veggie. I just like being veggie for a while - for self satisfaction.
Reply 4
Do you wear leather shoes? Just out of interest.
Reply 5
do any of you veggies eat fish? one of my friends says she is, but will then eat fish because it 'doesn't count'? why??? surely killing 1 fish per person is much worse than killing a cow which can feed loads. is my friend just insane?
Reply 6
lou p
do any of you veggies eat fish? one of my friends says she is, but will then eat fish because it 'doesn't count'? why??? surely killing 1 fish per person is much worse than killing a cow which can feed loads. is my friend just insane?

There are varying types of veggie, I think to call yourself that you just have to not eat meat and poultry. There are some which don't eat fish and/or eggs etc either and then vegans who don't even eat dairy products or wear leather.
yep she's insane :tongue:

no really, the thing i hate most is half assed veggies who eat fish or only eat meat once a month or something. They just do it for whatever status they think it brings, not out of principle
Reply 8
Dam
There are varying types of veggie, I think to call yourself that you just have to not eat meat and poultry. There are some which don't eat fish and/or eggs etc either and then vegans who don't even eat dairy products or wear leather.

Can vegans eat honey or other items produced by animals which are not actually parts of the animals such as wear silk.
Reply 9
Falguni
any veggies out there?
anyone ever tried being veggie and then gave up?

Yes. I'm a veggie and have been for... *counts*... about six years now.

It's a pain in the arse looking out for gelatine and the like on food labels, but I've become quite an expert at it now :smile: Watch out for Walkers cheese and onion crisps though.

It's funny, cos when I explain what gelatine is to most meat-eaters, the look on their face is often one of disgust. And then they go off and eat their jelly babies anyway.

Eddie
Reply 10
It'sPhil...
yep she's insane :tongue:

no really, the thing i hate most is half assed veggies who eat fish or only eat meat once a month or something. They just do it for whatever status they think it brings, not out of principle

Any "vegetarian" who eats fish or meat is not a vegetarian, obviously. Tell them that straight to their face. I do.

Strictly speaking, there is a classification of "semi-vegetarian" for people who still eat fish, but I don't understand how some people can say "I don't eat meat because it's cruel" but then will eat fish. As far as I know, fish are animals too :tongue:

Eddie
EddieB
Any "vegetarian" who eats fish or meat is not a vegetarian, obviously. Tell them that straight to their face. I do.

Strictly speaking, there is a classification of "semi-vegetarian" for people who still eat fish, but I don't understand how some people can say "I don't eat meat because it's cruel" but then will eat fish. As far as I know, fish are animals too :tongue:

Eddie

Certain studies have shown that fish are unable to feel pain.

I consider myself a vegetarian, and I eat fish. Regardless of the above, I enjoy eating fish. Fish is also much more healthy than, or as, all types of meat, if it is grilled or similar. I don't eat meat because it contains too much saturated fat, pure health reasons. I don't want to drop dead of heart disease at 30.
Reply 12
Unregistered
Certain studies have shown that fish are unable to feel pain.

It's also scientific fact that if you look hard enough, you can find scientific fact supporting your claim :smile:

A recent study (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm) suggested quite the opposite to what you say. Yes, fish is much healthier than meat, but it's still an animal as far as I'm concerned personally. Each to their own, but you're not, strictly speaking, a vegetarian.
Reply 13
Well. Too bad, I'm allergic to fish anyway!
EddieB
It's also scientific fact that if you look hard enough, you can find scientific fact supporting your claim :smile:

A recent study (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm) suggested quite the opposite to what you say. Yes, fish is much healthier than meat, but it's still an animal as far as I'm concerned personally. Each to their own, but you're not, strictly speaking, a vegetarian.

Of course it's an animal! But "I don't eat chickenbeefporkbaconmussellsshrimpsllama" etc is a lot longer than saying "I'm vegetarian, but I eat fish". I don't care whether or not I'm vegetarian, it's just a label. I eat what I want, and use the terms that describe what I eat in the simplist terms.

A rat is not a mouse, but you could say "It's like a rat, but smaller". See my point?
Hi!

I've been a vegetarian for almost 13 years now. A true vegetarian will not eat fish or chicken, contrary to popular misconception. Actualyl, I'm pretty much vegan now - just the occasional bit of well-disguised egg slips in, but not often. I also eat LOTS of raw fruit and veg.

Feels good!

hugs, Elisabeth=)
Reply 16
i am what is known as a pure vegetarian - that is that i am a lacto-vegetarian - no meat, fish or eggs. Yes, it does take a long time to look at ingredients and so i only tend to eat foods which state they are suitable for vegetarians and even then i still have to check for presence of eggs. i am vegetarian from birth so i guess it is easier for me. the reason i am vegetarian is due to my beliefs, i am a hindu and in our sacred texts it says that you can only eat food which can be offered to God - which is only vegetarian foods.

i have eaten eggs in the past in cakes etc, but have now tried to be more careful. its annoying that most sweets contain geletine, and when i was a child i used to buy cola bottles unknowingly. i wish companies would state clearly on foods whether they are sultable for veggies or not.
Falguni
i am what is known as a pure vegetarian - that is that i am a lacto-vegetarian - no meat, fish or eggs.

That's interesting. I consider a 'pure vegetarian' to eat no animal products whatsoever, ie a vegan! The only reason I let any egg thigns slip in is to get a bit of variety in pre-made things. All I do buy is something like Cauldron Foods' sausages and that about once a fortnight. I want to get more into the raw diet again as I had more energy then and it's much healthier all around.

I'm veggie for every reason going except religious. I'm a genuine Christian and, although some do, I don't believe the Bible makes much comment on diet. I do like the text in Proverbs where it states that "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal".

Hugs, Elisabeth=)
(now a registered user!!!)
Reply 18
elisabeth_rb
That's interesting. I consider a 'pure vegetarian' to eat no animal products whatsoever, ie a vegan! The only reason I let any egg thigns slip in is to get a bit of variety in pre-made things. All I do buy is something like Cauldron Foods' sausages and that about once a fortnight. I want to get more into the raw diet again as I had more energy then and it's much healthier all around.

I'm veggie for every reason going except religious. I'm a genuine Christian and, although some do, I don't believe the Bible makes much comment on diet. I do like the text in Proverbs where it states that "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal".

Hugs, Elisabeth=)
(now a registered user!!!)

yeah a vegan is someone who does not eat - meat,fish,eggs and dairy products.

lacto-ovo-vegetarians are those that don't eat meat and fish - this is the 'vegetarian' that the labels cater for.

then demi-veg are those that only eat white meat - tho' i wouldn't consider them to be vegetarian

another reason for being vegeatrian is that i do not see the point in killing animals for food, when we can live on fruits and vegetables etc

also, it is more economic to eat crops than to feed crops to animals to fatten them up to eat them. - more people can live on the crops
Falguni
yeah a vegan is someone who does not eat - meat,fish,eggs and dairy products.

lacto-ovo-vegetarians are those that don't eat meat and fish - this is the 'vegetarian' that the labels cater for.

then demi-veg are those that only eat white meat - tho' i wouldn't consider them to be vegetarian

another reason for being vegeatrian is that i do not see the point in killing animals for food, when we can live on fruits and vegetables etc

also, it is more economic to eat crops than to feed crops to animals to fatten them up to eat them. - more people can live on the crops

I agree with you totally!=) :tongue: I'm hoping to do GCSE Environmental Science ths year and want to do my coursework on the eco-impact of meat eating etc. Also, if I get to do Human Biology A Level afterwards, I hoep do the connection between diet and health for coursework.

E=)

Latest

Trending

Trending