The Student Room Group

Birthday cake and vegan friend dilemma

My 20th birthday is coming up soon and I’ve booked a really nice venue and there’s a cake shop that does really nice and aesthetic cakes but they’re not eggless. And the only eggless cake shops are cake box and I don’t like their designs. Obviously one of my friends are vegan, more like lacto-vegetarian as she drinks milk/dairy (just easier to put vegan as title), so they can’t eat egg, I was thinking to get her a mini cake slice from cake box and then I’ll still get to have my cake. I suggested the idea to her and she had a go at me saying “why can’t you just find an eggless cake shop or make it yourself?” I just find it unfair of her to say that since it’s my birthday and I’m at least trying my best to accommodate to her dietary preferences. What should I do? Or what do you think is the best solution?
Reply 1
I think the cake in the box is a great idea! I'm vegan myself and I would be more than thrilled if you even put in the effort to order an extra slice of cake for myself. It is your birthday at the end of the day, and either way she will be getting cake like the rest of the guests at your birthday. As a last resort, you could possibly ask cake box if they could alter their designs to be ordered (if you haven't already asked this as is :smile:) just so she has the same design as everyone else so she may feel less left out?

Let me know if it all works out okay!
Reply 2
Original post by libbi_mayy
I think the cake in the box is a great idea! I'm vegan myself and I would be more than thrilled if you even put in the effort to order an extra slice of cake for myself. It is your birthday at the end of the day, and either way she will be getting cake like the rest of the guests at your birthday. As a last resort, you could possibly ask cake box if they could alter their designs to be ordered (if you haven't already asked this as is :smile:) just so she has the same design as everyone else so she may feel less left out?

Let me know if it all works out okay!

Thank you so much, I’ll try do that, I was thinking to get chocolate and I don’t mind making some extra embellishments for her slice.
Reply 3
She sounds extremely entitled. It is your birthday, not hers. Forcing dietary preferences on other people is also a red flag, in my opinion. The better question is whether you should even be friends with this person, but I know nothing except what you have divulged.
Reply 4
Original post by fec1864
She sounds extremely entitled. It is your birthday, not hers. Forcing dietary preferences on other people is also a red flag, in my opinion. The better question is whether you should even be friends with this person, but I know nothing except what you have divulged.

Tbh you’re right, I don’t know how to cut her off though as she’s friends with my best friend (they went to school together) and she kinda just sticks around. So I don’t know what to say or do I hate being a mean person. She always complains about a lot of cafes and restaurants not having vegan options and that’s honestly not my problem.
Reply 5
It's your birthday and you can do whatever you want, the fact that you're even going so far as to getting her a separate cake is such a caring and considerate thing to do. This vegan friend is being selfish to try and impose her values on everyone else, she's being entitled because of her dietary preferences - it's not her birthday so she needs to stop making it about herself. You should go ahead and get the cake you want and get her eggless cake separately, along with letting your other friends know what is going on. Your thoughts and solution are already really good - I hope your Birthday goes well OP! :smile:
Original post by fec1864
^^^ Plus being Vegetarian is a choice for most people
Original post by fec1864

^^^ Plus being Vegetarian is a choice for most people.

The vast vast majority of birthday cakes I don't like them, what do I then do? Not eat the dang cake.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bean_cat
It's your birthday and you can do whatever you want, the fact that you're even going so far as to getting her a separate cake is such a caring and considerate thing to do. This vegan friend is being selfish to try and impose her values on everyone else, she's being entitled because of her dietary preferences - it's not her birthday so she needs to stop making it about herself. You should go ahead and get the cake you want and get her eggless cake separately, along with letting your other friends know what is going on. Your thoughts and solution are already really good - I hope your Birthday goes well OP! :smile:

Thank you so much ❤️
I agree with everyone else. It's your birthday, so get the cake you want. Her choice to be a vegetarian or vegan or whatever isn't your problem.
Reply 10
Whenever I have a fry up, I have an extra egg and an extra sausage to make up for a vegan somewhere.
Don't give a cake if uncomfortable
It's YOUR birthday. Not hers.
You're even going to get a separate cake for her to eat! Not many people would do that.
She's just being ungrateful. She sounds like she's jealous of you and wants to take the spotlight away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending