Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of starting to do some intensive programming for the remainder of the summer, currently i have basic skills in HTML & CSS due to enrolling on the course in Code academy. My question is, for a beginner what would be a reasonable programming language to learn which isn't too complex and can be easily grasped.
    Thank You.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I'd say Python or possibly JavaScript - both available on Codecademy

ReputationRep:
    learn as many as possible, once you get a programming/development/engineering job, focus on only those that your role requires

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remtal)
    I'm thinking of starting to do some intensive programming for the remainder of the summer, currently i have basic skills in HTML & CSS due to enrolling on the course in Code academy. My question is, for a beginner what would be a reasonable programming language to learn which isn't too complex and can be easily grasped.
    Thank You.
    Firstly, you should decide on what you want to program (whether for web development, software developing and such). Python is the best beginner friendly language, and can be used for a lot of things.

Here's a list of free ebooks to learn python (also use codewars, and code academy).

ReputationRep:
    I want to learn programming mainly to learn how to create apps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I want to learn programming mainly to learn how to create apps
    Well you could in theory learn a language like Java (Android) or Swift (iOS) or any other app languages but if you've got no real programming experience then you're best starting with something simple like Python as everyone else has suggested.

The end goal isn't too important when picking your first language. A lot of your skills will be transferable and part of being a good programming is knowing how to do something in any language, rather than just knowing one language.

ReputationRep:
    Python is too easy and will give you a false idea of how hard programming can be, I would go with C
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Real programmers use Brain****

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain****

ReputationRep:
    Probably as others have said Python, something which people often overlook when learning to program though is the necessity of learning algorithms, get yourself a good book on this too imo.

ReputationRep:
    Start with something simple like Matlab

Then move onto C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jungle_ninja)
    Real programmers use Brain****

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain****
    Don't forget Malbolge!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge

ReputationRep:
    I started with Javascript- found it too hard. Then moved to Python- found it too easy!

ReputationRep:
    C++/C# are both good choices. Not too difficult and very useful

ReputationRep:
    Java.

it will help you with your university studies.
    there are loads of jobs for people who know java
    android apps are written in java

python will do neither of those things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW22)
    Python is too easy and will give you a false idea of how hard programming can be, I would go with C
    C? nah

C++

ReputationRep:
    Thank You.
    Visual Basic is easy to learn

A more advanced language would be java

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.