The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Melanie Leconte
lol They just don't give a s***

(I feel sorry for the poster)

Don't worry about it. :smile:
Original post by Lauren-x-
This seems like it'll be an infinitely valuable thread - thank you so much for making it! Since STEP III requires Further Maths knowledge, am I at a disadvantage considering I only go up to FP2 and M2? I was on a math residential and many of them are doing FP3 or even FP4. Thanks!

Yup, you are at a disadvantage. I can't quite remember what is in FP3 - and obviously it varies by exam board - but I'm 99% sure any more "pure" maths at A-level helps with STEP III. Also, doing more mechanics modules would probably help. And statistics...
Hey all. I didn't actually realise that this was early to prepare: My school advised I start now

But anyway, I look forward to discussing problems with you guys soon. But now I need to sleep.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yup, you are at a disadvantage. I can't quite remember what is in FP3 - and obviously it varies by exam board - but I'm 99% sure any more "pure" maths at A-level helps with STEP III. Also, doing more mechanics modules would probably help. And statistics...

I hate stats so much haha but I guess it'll be best for me to make sure I'm okay at it, since it looks as though I'm gonna have to tackle those questions.

I've read some books on the side, hopefully...somehow...they'll help! I'll have to see how I get on when I start looking at the papers. I quite like mechanics, I guess I could start watching some youtube videos on different topics in my spare time as I like to listen to people explaining it.

Ps. your name and picture is awesome :biggrin:
I hate stats so much haha but I guess it'll be best for me to make sure I'm okay at it, since it looks as though I'm gonna have to tackle those questions.

You don't /have/ to tackle the stats questions, but I'd recommend investing a little time into learning just enough statistics to increase your pool of questions you can tackle on the question (or equivalently, increase the number of questions you can safely ignore).

I've read some books on the side, hopefully...somehow...they'll help! I'll have to see how I get on when I start looking at the papers. I quite like mechanics, I guess I could start watching some youtube videos on different topics in my spare time as I like to listen to people explaining it.

I remember that I borrowed an introductory applied maths undergrad book from my physics teacher, which was pretty helpful as a source of some tricks for STEP.

Ps. your name and picture is awesome :biggrin:

My name is awful, it is a deliberate mis-spelling because Mathemagician was taken. Besides, this was never meant to be my main account, so the name is embarrassingly majestic.

However, Jez, is indeed awesome. He is our Glorious Leader.
This seems like it'll be an infinitely valuable thread - thank you so much for making it! Since STEP III requires Further Maths knowledge, am I at a disadvantage considering I only go up to FP2 and M2? I was on a math residential and many of them are doing FP3 or even FP4. Thanks!

I am not sure whether you know about this http://furthermaths.org.uk/ but I've heard they can be helpful other wise you can self teach the extra modules, that's what I am doing any way.Happy to share with you any resources if you wish.
You don't /have/ to tackle the stats questions, but I'd recommend investing a little time into learning just enough statistics to increase your pool of questions you can tackle on the question (or equivalently, increase the number of questions you can safely ignore).

I remember that I borrowed an introductory applied maths undergrad book from my physics teacher, which was pretty helpful as a source of some tricks for STEP.

My name is awful, it is a deliberate mis-spelling because Mathemagician was taken. Besides, this was never meant to be my main account, so the name is embarrassingly majestic.

However, Jez, is indeed awesome. He is our Glorious Leader.

Thank you for all of your advice! My school have no idea what to do for STEP but I'm sure there must be some book in some library somewhere haha.

"Embarrassingly majestic" is embarrassingly majestic in itself, I'm impressed lol.
I am not sure whether you know about this http://furthermaths.org.uk/ but I've heard they can be helpful other wise you can self teach the extra modules, that's what I am doing any way.Happy to share with you any resources if you wish.

I've heard of it! My school isn't registered to it or anything though...should they be for me to be able to use the resources?
Thank you for all of your advice! My school have no idea what to do for STEP but I'm sure there must be some book in some library somewhere haha.

My school didn't help at all with STEP. I just did a lot of past papers... I think I also started later than you have, and I started pretty early, so you're already ahead of the game.

"Embarrassingly majestic" is embarrassingly majestic in itself, I'm impressed lol.

That was why I avoided saying "embarrassingly bombastic"
I've heard of it! My school isn't registered to it or anything though...should they be for me to be able to use the resources?

A friend of mine is in contact with them directly and has found them helpful but I don't know to what extent.Look up the details of your region and get in touch, I am sure they'll let you know whether they can help or not and how.
Hello. Pls i need help on how to get in to film school in idian is there anyone that can help me out pls?
My school didn't help at all with STEP. I just did a lot of past papers... I think I also started later than you have, and I started pretty early, so you're already ahead of the game.

That was why I avoided saying "embarrassingly bombastic"

I'm just looking at the assignments on Cambridge's website before directly tackling a paper...I'm scared haha!

Did you apply for uni last year then?

I have never heard anyone use the word "bombastic" in a sentence before - sure you shouldn't haven't applied to do English or Linguistics? You have a way with vocabulary:biggrin:
Original post by Oyebanjiclem
Hello. Pls i need help on how to get in to film school in idian is there anyone that can help me out pls?

Film school? Sit STEP II, and III. Don't bother with STEP I. Focus on the pure section.

Hope I helped! xx
A friend of mine is in contact with them directly and has found them helpful but I don't know to what extent.Look up the details of your region and get in touch, I am sure they'll let you know whether they can help or not and how.

Okay, thank you!
I'm just looking at the assignments on Cambridge's website before directly tackling a paper...I'm scared haha!

I thought the same when I first saw STEP-ish problems. Even STEP 1!

Did you apply for uni last year then?

Yarp. Its weird to think that STEP is all behind me.

I have never heard anyone use the word "bombastic" in a sentence before - sure you shouldn't haven't applied to do English or Linguistics? You have a way with vocabulary:biggrin:

u doth flatter me innit, but i is total **** wiv words lulz. i h8 englich n litritchur. lulz xxx

i is almost as bad as fizixsmafs
I thought the same when I first saw STEP-ish problems. Even STEP 1!

Yarp. Its weird to think that STEP is all behind me.

u doth flatter me innit, but i is total **** wiv words lulz. i h8 englich n litritchur. lulz xxx

i is almost as bad as fizixsmafs

What're you doing and at which uni?

And oh god, that's literally how 90% of people type on my facebook feed :facepalm:
What're you doing and at which uni?

And oh god, that's literally how 90% of people type on my facebook feed :facepalm:

i iz doin mafs @ cambrdg coz i faled th oxfrd mths tst lulzzzzzz xxx
i iz doin mafs @ cambrdg coz i faled th oxfrd mths tst lulzzzzzz xxx

PLEASE STOP, YOUR GRAMMAR IS STRESSING ME OUT!!

I now understand why you failed the Oxford maths test, only getting into Cambridge?? smh...you probably failed the English language requirements too with that grammar !!1!1! ://

But seriously, congrats on getting into maths at Cambridge! I hope it's going well so far :smile:

Sorry Maths.

@Zacken :tongue:

@jneill :wink:

@Zacken :tongue: Now this is the best of your knowledge :u:

@jneill

Thanks for the tag(s). I'm not a mathmo...

Also, the thread is for you guys to help prep yourselves, and there's plenty of excellent mathmos on TSR, not just @Zacken who is now probably rather busy at Cambridge.

Patience really is a virtue.
(edited 7 years ago)
PLEASE STOP, YOUR GRAMMAR IS STRESSING ME OUT!!

omgggg stop bein such a h8er fam innit ygm? mfw h8ers h8 on me n my grammar smh. just cos i isnt all posh an all dat innit.

I now understand why you failed the Oxford maths test, only getting into Cambridge?? smh...you probably failed the English language requirements too with that grammar !!1!1! ://

T'was but a joke (the Oxford MAT is waaay easier than STEP)

But seriously, congrats on getting into maths at Cambridge! I hope it's going well so far :smile:

So do I! I haven't got a clue if it is or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending