The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Nonamebzja
I see thanks man :smile:

No problem.
Original post by Zacken
They're both based on the same content, but STEP II is harder than STEP I, there's a fair bit of a jump between the two, if I remember correctly.

You might want to look at the STEP correspondence course or whatever it's called now. Everything you're asking has been answered in the OP - including the website you're talking about. Give that a read. :tongue:

Whoops should have read that first! Thanks though :smile:

Also I emailed Warwick and they have gotten rid of their A*AA + 1 in STEP standard offer. (Their only offer with STEP is A*A*A + 2 in STEP) so you may want to edit the OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Original post by theaverage
they have gotten rid of their A*AA + 1 in STEP standard offer. (Their only offer with STEP is A*A*A + 2 in STEP) so you may want to edit the OP

Yep, it's on their website. Good shout, I'll edit it.
Original post by theaverage
Whoops should have read that first! Thanks though :smile:

Also I emailed Warwick and they have gotten rid of their A*AA + 1 in STEP standard offer. (Their only offer with STEP is A*A*A + 2 in STEP) so you may want to edit the OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dickhead move on warwicks part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've known for years that STEP is a sideshow to them... shame to have it confirmed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, Now less people are gonna put Warwick as an insurance.... their loss I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
We've known for years that STEP is a sideshow to them... shame to have it confirmed

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's true, everyone (lecturers and students) always mentions getting A*s at A-Level here but no one has ever mentioned STEP.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It's true, everyone (lecturers and students) always mentions getting A*s at A-Level here but no one has ever mentioned STEP.

My understanding is that the Maths department wanted to keep the focus on STEP, whereas the university noted that it doesn't help in league tables so wanted to set a higher A-level requirement.

It's ridiculous but I wonder how many are actually disadvantaged under the new policy - it's a lot harder to get a 1 than A*A* in M+FM...
Original post by shamika
My understanding is that the Maths department wanted to keep the focus on STEP, whereas the university noted that it doesn't help in league tables so wanted to set a higher A-level requirement.

That makes a lot of sense unfortunately. Maybe they should lobby for STEP to have tariff points...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
That makes a lot of sense unfortunately. Maybe they should lobby for STEP to have tariff points...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe. The better solution is for Warwick to carry on doing what it does already - being an exceptional place to study Maths. They're already represented massively in the City (Insurance, Banking, Accountancy and Consulting) and I understand their research is top notch - demonstrably it's a bloody good uni, and ranking it against Oxbridge / London (Imperial, UCL etc.) is meaningless.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, it's on their website. Good shout, I'll edit it.

Something else for the OP (if you haven't already spotted it): http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/337291-notes-on-logic-and-proof-enhanced-test-specification-.pdf

Should be useful for all maths students at A-level to be honest. I haven't read it so no idea if it's any good though.
Original post by shamika
...ranking it against Oxbridge / London (Imperial, UCL etc.) is meaningless.

Yes, but marketing :wink:
Original post by shamika

It's ridiculous but I wonder how many are actually disadvantaged under the new policy - it's a lot harder to get a 1 than A*A* in M+FM...

But they still dont give a **** about STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shamika
it's a lot harder to get a 1 than A*A* in M+FM...

Very true. I am reading the comments and wondering how anyone could achieve a 1 in STEP and not manage an A*A* in M+FM ?!
Original post by Melanie Leconte
Very true. I am reading the comments and wondering how anyone could achieve a 1 in STEP and not manage an A*A* in M+FM ?!

It's very easy to drop "silly" marks in A-level exams (in general - not just restricted to mathematics). There are marks given for what bright candidates might regard as trivial points and omit them. Dropping from the mid 90's to below 90 doesn't take much inattention to detail.

In STEP, you get the majority of marks for getting the answer out at all! And a 1 in STEP can be obtained for not much more than 50% of the marks going.
Easy enough - just massively neglect FM to concentrate on STEP.

Perhaps more of piratical concern: the kind of student who is very good at solving hard problems, but somewhat inclined to be sloppy can end up getting a 1 in STEP but failing to score in the 90s at A-level]. (A friend of mine was like this: got in through the CCE but ended up getting a D in FM. Huge part of that was slacking off since passing the CCE meant he only needed to get EE at A-level But I really doubt he'd have scored 90+ even if he'd worked for it properly).

A guy at my college had an offer from trinity for Maths. He met step but got an A in FM so got pooled to homerton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do i extract the subsequence 0,0,0,0 from the sequence {cos(nπ2)} \left\{ \cos \left( \dfrac {n\pi } {2}\right) \right\} .
Obvs{cos(nπ2)}=0 \left\{ \cos \left( \dfrac {n\pi } {2}\right) \right\} = 0 for all odd n (n=1,3,5,7 etc), but how do i extract this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 398
Original post by Concav
How do i extract the subsequence 0,0,0,0 from the sequence {cos(nπ2)} \left\{ \cos \left( \dfrac {n\pi } {2}\right) \right\} .
Obvs{cos(nπ2)}=0 \left\{ \cos \left( \dfrac {n\pi } {2}\right) \right\} = 0 for all odd n (n=1,3,5,7 etc), but how do i extract this?

Not sure what you mean by 'extract'... but you can just write {cos(2k+1)π2}={0}\left\{\cos \frac{(2k+1)\pi}{2}\right\} = \{0\}
A guy at my college had an offer from trinity for Maths. He met step but got an A in FM so got pooled to homerton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am glad it worked out well for him at the end :smile:
Did he have a bad day? Surely he didn't find FM more challenging than STEP.

Latest

Trending

Trending