The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atsruser
The integral on the LHS involves f(g(x))f(g(x)) for some g(x)g(x). The integral on the RHS involves f(t)f(t). That is a big hint in itself.

Thanks for the hint. I managed to get it in the end, though I didn't find x in terms of t, so it took much longer. Really should think next time!
Reply 781
Original post by DylanJ42

Spoiler

Thank you for the explanation:smile:
I'm trying to do STEP I 2006 Q7, i've done the sketch and hence the deduction but having trouble working out the integral, please could someone point me in the right direction in dealing with the modulus :smile: thanks very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 783
Original post by Zxphyrs
I'm trying to do STEP I 2006 Q7, i've done the sketch and hence the deduction but having trouble working out the integral, please could someone point me in the right direction in dealing with the modulus :smile: thanks very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Break up the integral into sections where the function is positive so |f(x)| = f(x) and where it is negaive where |f(x)| = -f(x)
beginning to realize I was probably wrong I just dont see myself been ready for steps this year.

Hypothetically if a mature student who already holds a degree in an unrelated subject was to apply for a maths degree at Cambridge without Steps results but had sat maths and further Maths within a single year, and was planning on doing Steps 2 and 3 the following year as well as additional further maths and Physics would they stand any chance? assuming academic past before this point was distinctly average but they scored A*A* in the Maths and further Maths?

I know its always contextual and based on interview references personal statement etc etc but assuming all things been equal in terms of PS and interview? if they were self taught in this scenario would they stand a realistic chance? and hypothetically if they did get rejected but they went on to do the other exams and scored A*A* and 1 1 or better in steps 2 and 3 and reapplied thus having A*A*A*A*/A*A*A*A 1 1
would they stand a realistic chance at that point?

I know no one can say for sure but just wanted to garnish if I gave Steps a Miss this year if I would still have a realistic chance?
Original post by Luke7456
beginning to realize I was probably wrong I just dont see myself been ready for steps this year.I would strongly advise you to attend the course you're already booked on and see how you get on. Maybe ask these questions of the tutor(s) there, they will both have a better idea of your strengths and weaknesses than anyone here can have, and they will also have seen a lot of students at this stage in the prep-cycle.

As for the rest of it: I've answered much of this for you already, but you've introduced one new point, and IMHO taking STEP after the A-levels is going to make it more likely you get asked for S grades rather than 1s.

I'd also say to you that Cambridge is not the only decent maths university in the UK. The maths course and exams are pretty unforgiving, and a lot of people end up sinking, or at best treading water and looking hopefully towards the shoreline (end of degree).

That's not meant to be a put down - I did pretty damn well at Cambridge, and I still wonder if I'd have been better going somewhere else where I'd have focussed more on mathematics and less on exams, so to speak.
Original post by DFranklin
I would strongly advise you to attend the course you're already booked on and see how you get on. Maybe ask these questions of the tutor(s) there, they will both have a better idea of your strengths and weaknesses than anyone here can have, and they will also have seen a lot of students at this stage in the prep-cycle.

As for the rest of it: I've answered much of this for you already, but you've introduced one new point, and IMHO taking STEP after the A-levels is going to make it more likely you get asked for S grades rather than 1s.

I'd also say to you that Cambridge is not the only decent maths university in the UK. The maths course and exams are pretty unforgiving, and a lot of people end up sinking, or at best treading water and looking hopefully towards the shoreline (end of degree).

That's not meant to be a put down - I did pretty damn well at Cambridge, and I still wonder if I'd have been better going somewhere else where I'd have focussed more on mathematics and less on exams, so to speak.

Truth is its not even about Cambridge deep down I know that. Whenever I go into anything I set my sights at the very top when I played basketball I didn't have my sights set on making the NBA I had my sites set on been better then Michael Jordan. When I tried song writing I imagined myself been the best song writer ever. and when I played poker I convinced myself I could be better then Ivy.

and whilst on these endevours I did achieved some success by the standards of where I set my target it was an utter Miserable pathetic failure. By the standards of an average person attempting it, the results were normally fairly good.

However one thing always stood out I never gave it my all, and I always wondered had I tried my hardest could I have made it big etc. I cant live that down anymore things have to change. If I work hard and dont get into Cambridge I will be crushed no denying that. However If I dont get into Cambridge and I did not work Hard then I might as well just give up on life.

So I have to go for Cambridge with everything I have got, because this is about so much more then Cambridge and if I tried to negotiate myself in to accepting less then Cambridge I am already giving up can't do that. Cant and wont do that.

When I was younger My IT teacher lied to me and told me my coursework was A* standard when it was borderline C standard because he didn't think I was capable, to be fair at the time he was probably right because at this point my IQ probably had not passed 100 at that time.

However I am capable of a lot more these days maybe not Cambridge but I have to try and If I give up on Cambridge those that write me off will want to rip me down further. Sure there is very little difference between the standard of Cambridge and Imperial, Then their is very little difference between the standard of Imperial and Warwick and Hey not much difference between the standard of Warwick and Bristol, again not much difference between the standard of Bristol and Nottingham, and not much difference between Nottingham and Southampton and also not much difference between Southampton and Surrey but not much difference between Surrey and Reading not much difference between Reading and Coventry and not much difference between Coventry and Nottingham Trent.

and Like hell am I going to let myself go to Nottingham Trent. The point is I out right Defy a lot of mainstream Psychology and most people dont like things that dont work the way they are supposed to.

If I give up on Cambridge at this point I will be giving up on Warwick next and then next thing you know I will be aiming at Coventry and I can't let that happen I won't.

Don't get me wrong You seem like a nice person I don't think you are rooting against me, but most people in my life who know me are deep down whether they want to admit it or not. and If you give an inch to the mentality of people trying to lower your expectations you end up giving a Mile. I will probably do well to get into Warwick I know that Deep down. and If end up at Nottingham or Southampton i can live with that and in time come to be happy and proud of that. However right now I need to develop the mentality of only focusing on Cambridge. I am not sure if that is understandable most people dont get my psychology heck even the so called experts failed.
Original post by xianlong
This isn't gonna happen, mate. Everyone on this planet thinks they're clever, but just don't work hard enough. You've already mentioned you don't work particularly hard, but even if you change that, you're simply not smart enough either. You're struggling with things Cambridge mathematicians can do in their sleep. I'd take Djfranklin's advice and aim for a good, but not impossible uni, then kick on from there. You're trying to aim for the stars and land on the moon. At this rate, you're gonna end up crashlanding in your back garden instead. Better to aim for the sky and end up in geostationary orbit.

I'm sure there are some but I don't think there are many Cambridge students who found step dead easy. Maybe I am wrong but I was always under the impression that most of them found it really hard and I have not had two years of study trying to learn maths and further maths in a year is doable trying to do step on top of that is the difficult thing.

My work ethic needs improving but it has been improving a lot. As for the intelligence thing I have actual data. Due to my autism I have been tested a few times iq 144. I normally focus on data so I found out that two thirds of Cambridge students have Mensa iq levels. I am on he borderline of Mensa iq So yes I'd be below about two thirds of the students at Cambridge but I'd still be smarter then a third I'm not saying that to be arrogant just the figures.

Maybe maths has higher iqs then other subjects so that might count me out I don't know. But in terms of intelligence I am not as bad as people think.

Maybe it's best to go somewhere where I am in the top third rather then the bottom third but isn't it better to stretch yourself?
I'm sure there are some but I don't think there are many Cambridge students who found step dead easy. Maybe I am wrong but I was always under the impression that most of them found it really hard
True, but really hard means people saying "I can hardly do any of the questions", not "I have not managed to solve any of the step questions yet" as you posted earlier. Similarly, they would not be worrying about their maths grades, or making the number of mistakes you've talked about in other posts. So I'd say you are behind the typical successful applicant at this point.

and I have not had two years of study trying to learn maths and further maths in a year is doable trying to do step on top of that is the difficult thing.
This possibly counts in your favour, but It's really hard to interpret what this means for you, given previous history, life experience etc. You've already got a degree in a numerate subject - that should put you in a very strong position to pull this off.

My work ethic needs improving but it has been improving a lot. As for the intelligence thing I have actual data. Due to my autism I have been tested a few times iq 144. I normally focus on data so I found out that two thirds of Cambridge students have Mensa iq levels. I am on he borderline of Mensa iq So yes I'd be below about two thirds of the students at Cambridge but I'd still be smarter then a third I'm not saying that to be arrogant just the figures.
Firstly, no-one at Cambridge is going to care about your IQ, (though if you keep going on about it they may think you an idiot). IQ (if anything) is an indication of potential, at this point in your life you really should have some actual accomplishments to talk about instead.

Or, as Stephen Hawking more pithily put it when asked about his IQ:

"I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."

Also, as you suggest, I'd suspect the average for maths is a lot higher - not that mathmos are necessarily cleverer, but the skill set maps well onto the typical IQ test. I suspect there aren't many mathmos with measured IQs below 140. But again, I don't think IQ doesn't really means anything when it comes to Cambridge maths (see anecdote later in this post).

Maybe it's best to go somewhere where I am in the top third rather then the bottom third but isn't it better to stretch yourself?
So this is advice I'd give to anyone:

If you are sure you'll be in the bottom 3rd of the cohort at Cambridge and your primary concern is to learn mathematics, you would probably be better off going to another university. (Cambridge still has other advantages, such as prestige, facillities, etc. that may make you still prefer Cambridge if learning maths is not your primary concern). I feel the way the courses and exams work very much pushes people towards concentrating on areas they can do well in (and conversely getting hopelessly befuddled in courses they find difficult). I absolutely know people who ended up only doing 2 or 3 courses in the final year.

And also a comment for your particular case - you wrote:

Whenever I go into anything I set my sights at the very top when I played basketball I didn't have my sights set on making the NBA I had my sites set on been better then Michael Jordan. When I tried song writing I imagined myself been the best song writer ever. and when I played poker I convinced myself I could be better then Ivy.

If you are in the bottom 3rd at Cambridge, you're going to be face-to-face with the reality that you are struggling, and everything is hard, and there are people in your college who are finding it a breeze in comparison. My first supervision partner (IQ of 184 by the way - he definitely let people know about it) found everything a lot harder than he expected, and he had me as a supervision partner, who'd say "Let me know what questions you've done the day before the supervision and I'll do them too", and then spend 3 hours on what had taken him 20, and get twice as many marks on the questions as he did. I didn't mean to be a dick (and to be honest, not sure what else I could have done), but the discrepancy was very very obvious.

Many many people find this situation very hard to deal with, when they've always been "the best" at maths in every previous class they've taken. Given what you've written, I think you need to think very seriously about whether you'd actually be happy, or even able to cope in this situation.
Original post by DFranklin
True, but really hard means people saying "I can hardly do any of the questions", not "I have not managed to solve any of the step questions yet" as you posted earlier. Similarly, they would not be worrying about their maths grades, or making the number of mistakes you've talked about in other posts. So I'd say you are behind the typical successful applicant at this point.

This possibly counts in your favour, but It's really hard to interpret what this means for you, given previous history, life experience etc. You've already got a degree in a numerate subject - that should put you in a very strong position to pull this off.

Firstly, no-one at Cambridge is going to care about your IQ, (though if you keep going on about it they may think you an idiot). IQ (if anything) is an indication of potential, at this point in your life you really should have some actual accomplishments to talk about instead.

Or, as Stephen Hawking more pithily put it when asked about his IQ:

Also, as you suggest, I'd suspect the average for maths is a lot higher - not that mathmos are necessarily cleverer, but the skill set maps well onto the typical IQ test. I suspect there aren't many mathmos with measured IQs below 140. But again, I don't think IQ doesn't really means anything when it comes to Cambridge maths (see anecdote later in this post).

So this is advice I'd give to anyone:

If you are sure you'll be in the bottom 3rd of the cohort at Cambridge and your primary concern is to learn mathematics, you would probably be better off going to another university. (Cambridge still has other advantages, such as prestige, facillities, etc. that may make you still prefer Cambridge if learning maths is not your primary concern). I feel the way the courses and exams work very much pushes people towards concentrating on areas they can do well in (and conversely getting hopelessly befuddled in courses they find difficult). I absolutely know people who ended up only doing 2 or 3 courses in the final year.

And also a comment for your particular case - you wrote:

If you are in the bottom 3rd at Cambridge, you're going to be face-to-face with the reality that you are struggling, and everything is hard, and there are people in your college who are finding it a breeze in comparison. My first supervision partner (IQ of 184 by the way - he definitely let people know about it) found everything a lot harder than he expected, and he had me as a supervision partner, who'd say "Let me know what questions you've done the day before the supervision and I'll do them too", and then spend 3 hours on what had taken him 20, and get twice as many marks on the questions as he did. I didn't mean to be a dick (and to be honest, not sure what else I could have done), but the discrepancy was very very obvious.

Many many people find this situation very hard to deal with, when they've always been "the best" at maths in every previous class they've taken. Given what you've written, I think you need to think very seriously about whether you'd actually be happy, or even able to cope in this situation.

Okay some good points so Where is appropriate Warwick or imperial or is that aiming too high too?

I think imperial would reject me flat out but I think if I scored A*A* this year I'd likely get an offer from Warwick which would only need a grade 2 in step

Which if I spent the summer studying and got an advance on should definitely be doable.

But then they might reject me because of my past too?

So is bath ok? Or is that been to ambitious if I score A*A* this year where is realistic to apply for?
Reply 790
In 2011 STEP 1 question 12 (iii), why should I consider the first 5 people in the queue (according to the solution)? I don’t exactly understand the logic of the solution. Can anyone help me please? Thanks a lot!

Snip20170212_12.png
Original post by LX233
In 2011 STEP 1 question 12 (iii), why should I consider the first 5 people in the queue (according to the solution)? I don’t exactly understand the logic of the solution. Can anyone help me please? Thanks a lot!

Snip20170212_12.png

Haven't tried the problem myself, but after the 5th person, there's either
case 1 .2 or less 2 pound people who already came, meaning there's at least 3 1 pound coins accumulated (and possibly given out already) so you will never run out of 1 pound coins or
case 2. 3 2 pound people had already come in which case you would've failed to give them back change already, terminating the situation?

It makes sense to me internally but reading my above explanation confuses myself... I must really practice solution writing :redface:
Original post by Yuuchin1
case 1 .2 or less 2 pound people who already came, meaning there's at least 3 1 pound coins accumulated (and possibly given out already) so you will never run out of 1 pound coins or
case 2. 3 2 pound people had already come in which case you would've failed to give them back change already, terminating the situation?

It makes sense to me internally but reading my above explanation confuses myself... I must really practice solution writing :redface:

Probably a better way would be giving the number of people with 2 pound coins who had already come its own variable (x) and expressing the conditions for the situation to terminate...
Okay some good points so Where is appropriate Warwick or imperial or is that aiming too high too?

I think imperial would reject me flat out but I think if I scored A*A* this year I'd likely get an offer from Warwick which would only need a grade 2 in step

Which if I spent the summer studying and got an advance on should definitely be doable.

But then they might reject me because of my past too?

So is bath ok? Or is that been to ambitious if I score A*A* this year where is realistic to apply for?
Again, you're booked on a STEP course this week - why don't you see how that goes before trying to make any decisions.

As far as alternative universities - can't really help you there. My comments on Cambridge are from personal experience, and they're not even so much about it's university "ranking", but the way the courses and exams work.

If you're after advice for which university would suit you best (for a maths degree), then F46 ( https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46 ) is where you should be asking, and it would probably best to stop taking this thread OT by continuing this discussion here (Not saying it's your fault it's gone off-topic; I think the conversation has taken a bit of a natural digression, but it's now really off-topic for this thread).
Reply 794
Original post by Yuuchin1

I got it!!Thanks a lot for the help!:biggrin:
Original post by LX233
I got it!!Thanks a lot for the help!:biggrin:

No problem!
How many questions did people who were successful in step(1,1+) actually answer in the given time?
Original post by sofiaslifeisover
How many questions did people who were successful in step(1,1+) actually answer in the given time?

I got an S in II but only answered one question completely fully lol. Though admittedly I got two other almost fulls and had a lot of time since I did the full in <20 mins at the start.
But I 'attempted' 6 in each paper (a few terrible attempts though).
Well done on your S @IrrationalRoot!!! I always struggle with timing (I will hopefully get extra time if admissions testing service isn't awkward about it) but I am really worried about not getting enough done in the given time😕. That makes me feel a lot better though. Also did people generally do better or worse than they were expecting.
Reply 799
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/STEP/Papers/1994%20STEP%203.pdf

STEP III Question 3
I've done the all of it apart from where it says are the two circles linked. What does circles being linked mean?

Also for question 1 I did the integration by using exponential form and got 2arctan(e^x) + c. Is this right?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending