The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilrabbits
Did anyone attempt the collisions question in mechanics? I didn't know what I was doing but somehow I got the ratio of KE lost to be 0?? Not sure if it's right.

I got that too but no idea if it was right
Reply 1381
Anyone figure out how to form an equation that satisfies T in terms of q?
Here is my mark breakdown, for the questions I did:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1383
Original post by Amitbalter
Here is my mark breakdown, for the questions I did:

so question 1 was worth 22, and question 2 was worth 18?
Reply 1384
Original post by dxkr
haven't looked at too many mark schemes but was thinking the first two parts were easier (let's say 3+4 marks) and then the third one worth 6, fourth worth 7? i'll just go with 7 to be on the pessimistic side

Just realised you actually didn't end up with the 3rd integral as the denominator was squared, so yeah you're probably right.
Reply 1385
Original post by solC
Just realised you actually didn't end up with the 3rd integral as the denominator was squared, so yeah you're probably right.

ah well i was hoping you were right....
Might do the paper for bants
If i get a 1 again im gna kms

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need a 1 for STEP I but didn't do very well. Can someone help me assess my chances?
Q1: solved 3 of the 4 integrals like most people here
Q2: finished the whole problem. the last bit was quite hefty since you need to discuss <1 and >1 for each of (i) and (ii) and combine it to show the chained inequality applies for y>0
Q3: derived expressions for the 2 triangles and showed what the question asked for
Q4: finished most of the problem except finding a quadratic equation relating T and q. Attempted matching coefficients but didnt realize that T^2 needed (aq^2+bq+c) instead of simply (aq+b). how did you guys do on this one?
Q6: solved it in full, ending with (1-beta)^2 parallel to alpha^2 in the previous part. For finding g(x)=a+bx i represented a and b in terms of alpha, solved the exact value of alpha but forgot to plug it back in to the expression for g(x)
Q8: completed the induction in the very first part but stopped there.

that's 3 full but imperfect solutions, 2 incomplete ones, and an early attempt. not enough for a 1?
Dividenthe numerator and denominator by cos^4 and it ends up being almost similar to the third part!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1389
Original post by 20051615
I need a 1 for STEP I but didn't do very well. Can someone help me assess my chances?
Q2: finished the whole problem. the last bit was quite hefty since you need to discuss <1 and >1 for each of (i) and (ii) and combine it to show the chained inequality applies for y>0
Q3: derived expressions for the 2 triangles and showed what the question asked for
Q4: finished most of the problem except finding a quadratic equation relating T and q. Attempted matching coefficients but didnt realize that T^2 needed (aq^2+bq+c) instead of simply (aq+b). how did you guys do on this one?
Q6: solved it in full, ending with (1-beta)^2 parallel to alpha^2 in the previous part. For finding g(x)=a+bx i represented a and b in terms of alpha, solved the exact value of alpha but forgot to plug it back in to the expression for g(x)

that's 3 full but imperfect solutions, 2 incomplete ones, and an early attempt. not enough for a 1?

i did same questions to you, same mistakes in q1,4, but didn't finish q2, finished q8.

panic though, I don't remember doing this part "For finding g(x)=a+bx i represented a and b in terms of alpha, solved the exact value of alpha but forgot to plug it back in to the expression for g(x)", thinking I might have missed a part of the question?
Original post by dxkr
so question 1 was worth 22, and question 2 was worth 18?

Haha I'll fix it
Reply 1391
Original post by 20051615

q1, i'm thinking 13 marks on the pessimistic side
q4, i'm thinking 15 marks
let's say you got 6 marks for q8
18 for the imperfect ones
total 88, good enough for a 1
Reply 1392
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would probably be piss for you, most of the pure was geometry and calculus.
I thought this step paper was quite tough, especially q9 i'm usually quite good on mechanics but i messed that one up, and i feel i should have attempted q11. For q3 i used the cross product method to find the area of OPQ, hopefully it gets the marks for constituting a "proof".
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll probably try some Qs for the bants too. Though I can already tell I'm not in my STEP-prime as I once was, couldn't even see that standard divide by cos^4 thing, but back in the day I was blitzing out integration Qs in <20 min.

How have Tripos exams gone btw?
Original post by dididid
hey anybody get a solution for the are of opq in question 3?
the points p(ap^2,2ap) and q (aq^2,2aq) lie on the parabola y^(2) =4ax , where where p>0 and q<0 . the tangents to the points meet at a point R and pass through the y axis at S and T respectively . show that the triangle OPQ is twice the area of triangle SRT . i managed to get something like 1/2a^2(p^2-q^2)(p+q) for srt so from that saw that the area for OPQ had to be double that but did quite some dodgy maths to get it so probs wont get marks. could somebody please go through how you find that area?

Its pretty easy to find area if you know the deteminant formula( delta represents the area)
Anyone got a copy of the paper?
How did people go about the last integral for question 1? Only one i couldn't do from that question.
Original post by RhysH98
How did people go about the last integral for question 1? Only one i couldn't do from that question.

Divide top and bottom by (cosx)^4 and you get the same integral as the second last one, only with the denominator squared. Then just use the same substitution.
The authorities took the paper after the exam!

Latest

Trending

Trending