The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Get an I-River...
Reply 21
yup ive hada 15gb ipod for a year and ahalf now, still doin me great service

apple hav bought millions of 2gb and 5gb hard drives so im guessin they will be replacin the 4gb ipod minis they got now wid 5gb ones and slightly cheaper models with 2gb in the near future
Reply 22
Sharma
apple hav bought millions of 2gb and 5gb hard drives so im guessin they will be replacin the 4gb ipod minis they got now wid 5gb ones and slightly cheaper models with 2gb in the near future

I read that too. Biggest down side to the i-pod mini. Has it actually be launched yet? It's supposed to be around now, isn't it?
Reply 23
Fluffy
I read that too. Biggest down side to the i-pod mini. Has it actually be launched yet? It's supposed to be around now, isn't it?

on the 24th, 2 days before my birthday! i would buy from apple site and get student prices but then i have to wait to show it off to ppl at my party on the 26th :P

i'm just gonna fork out the money!
Reply 24
Sharma
pay £50 more and get a 15gb i-pod

thats like 4 times more tracks u can store.

All depends on size in the end, if that bothers u stik wid the mini :smile:

Go on the apple uk site and say that u are a student, the prices are then lowered for everything makin it cheaper for u :rolleyes:

but u cant get the big ones in pink!!! lol

i want it to be pink and i like the small size. yay!
Reply 25
yeh apple also supposed to replace the big ipods soon too, they gettin a bit dated.

New ones will be more like the mini ipods different colours etc... so ive heard but slightly bigger obviously due to the big hard drives they contain.

Rumors suggest they they have a color screen, that wud be a first !!!! :smile:
Reply 26
Sharma
Rumors suggest they they have a color screen, that wud be a first !!!! :smile:

No it wouldnt: http://nordic.iriver.se/products.php?p=19&sid=7db9355b860ffc2f204aefac7a9c0a6c
Reply 27
first for apple i meant
Reply 28
Whether or not you go for the iPod Mini depends on what you're looking for in a player. The main (and perhaps only) advantage the iPod Mini has over its bigger brother, or other HD MP3 players is that it is prettier. I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner, as I can see why aesthetics are important to some people.

However, if you're looking for an MP3 player that you can take around with you easily, has large storage, and sounds good, then go for the iRiver H120 or H140 as these offer vastly superior storage, sound quality (so I've heard) and are still portable. Also, the iPod has a notoriously crap battery life (I'm not sure if this affects the Mini though). Whats the point in having 100s of hours of music on your machine if the machine itself can only last 3-6 hours?!?
Reply 29
Sharma
first for apple i meant

Oakey dokey. My mistake.
Reply 30
No. There are far better players out there, such as the irivers mentioned previously.
Reply 31
kingslaw
Whether or not you go for the iPod Mini depends on what you're looking for in a player. The main (and perhaps only) advantage the iPod Mini has over its bigger brother, or other HD MP3 players is that it is prettier. I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner, as I can see why aesthetics are important to some people.

However, if you're looking for an MP3 player that you can take around with you easily, has large storage, and sounds good, then go for the iRiver H120 or H140 as these offer vastly superior storage, sound quality (so I've heard) and are still portable. Also, the iPod has a notoriously crap battery life (I'm not sure if this affects the Mini though). Whats the point in having 100s of hours of music on your machine if the machine itself can only last 3-6 hours?!?

but i want a pink one :frown: i dont care what it looks like so long as its pink.
and i can get more batteries right???
Reply 32
wait for the sony mp3 player, it's sooooo sweet! And it's only 200 quid!
Reply 33
hester
but i want a pink one :frown: i dont care what it looks like so long as its pink.
and i can get more batteries right???

The battery is fixed inside the iPod. You cant just replace it, you have to attach the iPod to a power-point and wait for it to charge. I dont fancy having to do that every night.
Reply 34
sony one is good yesss, problem is that u gotta use their crappy software
u gotta convert tracks to atrac and then they want u to use their version of i-tunes sony connect which isnt very good at all

But battery life is brilliant and at the size of a minidisc player id defo wait for it
Reply 35
kingslaw
The battery is fixed inside the iPod. You cant just replace it, you have to attach the iPod to a power-point and wait for it to charge. I dont fancy having to do that every night.

Major down point of El I-Pod. My friend has his a year and 2 days when the battery died. Outside of guarentee. what a wate of money!

I also read on review articals of i-pods routinely dying after as little time as 6 weeks! Not good!
Reply 36
Fluffy
Major down point of El I-Pod. My friend has his a year and 2 days when the battery died. Outside of guarentee. what a wate of money!

I also read on review articals of i-pods routinely dying after as little time as 6 weeks! Not good!

u cant just replace the battery??
Reply 37
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/computers/article/0,12543,588084,00.html
It wasn't just the fact that his iPod's battery was nearly dead after 18 months that got Casey Neistat so mad. The filmmaker had worked with enough electronics to know that lithium-ion batteries (like the iPod's) could only be recharged 300 to 500 times before their run time declined. It's a given: Batteries die, you replace them. What irked Neistat was that the iPod's battery seemed to be inaccessible, sealed up tight in that gleaming silver and white case. But figuring Apple must have a solution, he went to the company's Manhattan retail store -- where the staff told him there was nothing Apple could do: his iPod's one-year warranty had expired. But they would be happy to sell him a new model to replace it.

Not believing a smart company like Apple could have designed in an irreplaceable battery, Neistat says he called AppleCare customer support. The company line was repeated: No way to replace it, why don't you just buy a new iPod? Still not convinced Apple was declaring the iPod disposable, Neistat mailed his broken baby straight to the Man in Black, Apple CEO Steve Jobs. The employee who called back "on Mr. Jobs' behalf" apologized, then told him the same thing.

That's when Neistat lost it, and decided to vent his anger publicly.

Instead of buying a new iPod, he and his brother Van bought spray paint and made a stencil. Video camera in hand, they canvassed downtown Manhattan, tagging dozens of Apple ad posters with their message: "iPod's unreplaceable battery lasts only 18 months." Then the brothers edited the stunt into a 2-minute movie called iPod's Dirty Secret and posted it on the Web. By the next day, they had over 50,000 hits. Around the same time, Apple introduced a $100 iPod battery-replacement program, which the company says was in development long before the Neistats made a stink. But Casey's story was everywhere: blogs, news sites, even The Washington Post.

Eventually, Casey tried fixing the problem with a $50 DIY battery replacement kit from ipodbattery.com, but his iPod didn't survive the operation. (He thinks he killed the hard drive as he tried to pry the old battery loose.) A few weeks later, PopSci gave him another third-party battery, this time from pdasmart.com ($60), and another iPod from a staffer with the same problem. That one survived and went back to its owner. And Casey ended up spending $400 on a new one.
Reply 38
hester
u cant just replace the battery??

Nope :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending