The Student Room Group

Why do we need a license for a TV?

Scroll to see replies

The licence fee helps, supposedly, to keep the publicly funded BBC free of any bias; I guess a lot of viewers will disagree with this lately, though. It also helps to ensure that there is no untoward shareholder pressure to worry about, goes towards programme making, operation of the many websites they have, radio stations, news gathering & delivery and so on, including making shows available to catch up on via services like the red button and the iPlayer. This is why everyone should contribute, IMO.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Not any more - the law has changed, so you catch watch iPlayer at all without a TV licence

Original post by 999tigger
From today use of the iplayer requires a licence.

I have heard that but I can't seem to find any official info on it.. I have ready that I am not aloud to watch things on iPlayer which are broadcasting live but after it seems to be okay.
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
I have heard that but I can't seem to find any official info on it.. I have ready that I am not aloud to watch things on iPlayer which are broadcasting live but after it seems to be okay.

Sorry CKL :frown:

It's official now and in the legislation:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/tvlicence
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

:frown:
Original post by AAls
It's a scam since you don't actually need one. You only need a TV license to watch live programmes on the BBC.

As long as you don't let them in your house and tell them you dont own a TV, which they can't prove, you could save £100+ a year.

They can prove you own a TV if you buy one in a store or online, as TV purchase requires giving address details which are passed to the TV License Authority.

Buying a second-hand TV informally gets around this.

The most common way of avoiding paying up to now has been using iPlayer only, but this 'loophole' is apparently going to be closed, presumably you will have to type in a valid license number and address to be let into iPlayer.

Oh wow so it actually changed today grrr. Oh well i think the last thing I watched on iPlayer was the New Years Fireworks haha I'm not prepared to pay £15 a month for eastenders lol
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Oh wow so it actually changed today grrr. Oh well i think the last thing I watched on iPlayer was the New Years Fireworks haha I'm not prepared to pay £15 a month for eastenders lol

Nor me :rofl: YouTube ftw! :five:
Original post by iEthan
Nor me :rofl: YouTube ftw! :five:

Yeah exactly soooo many ways round it :P
It now comes up with this when you try to get into iPlayer:

Got a TV Licence?
You need one to watch any BBC programme on iPlayer - live, catch-up or on-demand. It's the law. Find out more
I have a TV Licence.
I don't have a TV Licence.
Original post by Devify
Which is what I said. If you don't watch live TV or catch up on iPlayer which is the BBC catch-up service. Then you don't have to pay for a licence as the licence pays for live TV and BBC iPlayer services
Sorry! I misinterpreted.
Reply 29
Original post by Laomedeia
I can understand why we need a license to operate or own dangerous equipment such as firearms, cars, heavy plant machinery etc. But why do we need a license to for something even a child can operate safely? Doesnt make sense. Surprised we dont need a license to cycle or use a hooker.

Hooker haha.

Licence is a bit of a misnomer in this instance. It's more of a subscription fee. Unlike the other things you mention, in which a licence often comes as a result of a background check or training.

The subscription fee is to pay for BBC services as they come automatically on any TV. This is the reason why BBC doesn't have commercial adverts, and, like others have said, allows it to remain unbiased. A lot of people would say that the BBC actually IS biased, but the funny thing is, people across the political spectrum complain about this, so the BBC must be doing something right.

Some people think this fee should be scrapped. This does sort of make sense as you can easily enjoy TV nowadays without using BBC services at all. However a lot of people want to protect the BBC as it's quite an old institution and very unique compared to other channels in all the services it provides. It can be quite a heated debate.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They can prove you own a TV if you buy one in a store or online, as TV purchase requires giving address details which are passed to the TV License Authority..
Wrong and wrong! They stopped asking for address details when buying new.a few years ago.
It is irrelevant anyway because owning a TV does not require a licence.
Original post by mphysical
Wrong and wrong! They stopped asking for address details when buying new.a few years ago.
It is irrelevant anyway because owning a TV does not require a licence.

OK, I didn't know they'd stopped doing that.

The official text from the licensing site reads:
"
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

watch or record live TV programmes on any channel (including BBC)

download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
"
Original post by Laomedeia
I can understand why we need a license to operate or own dangerous equipment such as firearms, cars, heavy plant machinery etc. But why do we need a license to for something even a child can operate safely? Doesnt make sense. Surprised we dont need a license to cycle or use a hooker.

Well its for the Government to make £3billion pounds a year thats how much they make from having a tv licence fee it goes back to when tvs were first invented about 80 years ago there was only one station and it was BBC1 british broad casting) there was no other tv stations at that time and there used to be a Radio Licence as well but they stopped that about 25 years ago and there was a dog licence as well but l think they stopped that as well its all a way for the government to make lots of money

Quick Reply

Latest