The Student Room Group

will i be able to afford this car?

i want to get a beetle Volkswagen with a convertible roof.
i have around 3k but can increase it up to 4k in 2 months or so
if i got a car for 1.5k - 2.5k depending on when i get the car, could i afford insurance?
i haven’t got my license just yet but will have my test in Feb and want to practice in it.
how much is insurance before getting a license and would i actually be able to afford a car?
i earn around 400 every fortnight but this may increase as i am going to do more hours which will increase to 500 every fortnight i hope!!!
also are beetles good?
Original post by alevelstudent090
i want to get a beetle Volkswagen with a convertible roof.
i have around 3k but can increase it up to 4k in 2 months or so
if i got a car for 1.5k - 2.5k depending on when i get the car, could i afford insurance?
i haven’t got my license just yet but will have my test in Feb and want to practice in it.
how much is insurance before getting a license and would i actually be able to afford a car?
i earn around 400 every fortnight but this may increase as i am going to do more hours which will increase to 500 every fortnight i hope!!!
also are beetles good?

The price of insurance will vary according to many factors, including your age (which statistically impacts your chance of an accident) and your address (which statistically impacts the chance of the car being stolen). As a result, nobody of TSR will be able to tell you what your insurance will cost.

Why not just go onto one of the insurance comparison sites and ask for a price? If it asks a question you can't answer (like the current value of the car) then guess - you're just trying to get an indicative price.
Original post by DataVenia
The price of insurance will vary according to many factors, including your age (which statistically impacts your chance of an accident) and your address (which statistically impacts the chance of the car being stolen). As a result, nobody of TSR will be able to tell you what your insurance will cost.

Why not just go onto one of the insurance comparison sites and ask for a price? If it asks a question you can't answer (like the current value of the car) then guess - you're just trying to get an indicative price.

thanks so much! if i havent got my license yet, does that mean i need a different license? if so, do you know what it’s called?
thanks so much! if i havent got my license yet, does that mean i need a different license? if so, do you know what it’s called?

Do you have a provisional license? You need at least that to drive on the road whilst learning. That will be sufficient.

(Some insurers won't want to insure those with a provisional license, and some will charge them extra. That's why I suggested a comparison web site.)
Original post by DataVenia
Do you have a provisional license? You need at least that to drive on the road whilst learning. That will be sufficient.

(Some insurers won't want to insure those with a provisional license, and some will charge them extra. That's why I suggested a comparison web site.)

yes, i do have a provisional license:smile:. thanks ill look into it !!
thanks for ur help
Reply 5
Cars are an absolute financial liability with tax, insurance, maintenance and breakdown insurance to cover. What you can buy for a few thousand pounds will be high mileage with significant maintenance costs. You can easily get an insurance indication by going to a good broker like A Plan and talking it through. Although it would be a good and stylish car to have, I would take it one step at a time, pass your test, save a bit more and increase your income before taking this on
Original post by Zarek
Cars are an absolute financial liability with tax, insurance, maintenance and breakdown insurance to cover. What you can buy for a few thousand pounds will be high mileage with significant maintenance costs. You can easily get an insurance indication by going to a good broker like A Plan and talking it through. Although it would be a good and stylish car to have, I would take it one step at a time, pass your test, save a bit more and increase your income before taking this on

i am thinking of getting my dad to help me with research and stuff but it is definitely expensive and something id need to think about properly is right but i would love one to practice in, as my work colleague/friend had an old car 2001 plate and actually used it for practising and now hes passed his test.so do u think i should wait and save properly?
Reply 7
i am thinking of getting my dad to help me with research and stuff but it is definitely expensive and something id need to think about properly is right but i would love one to practice in, as my work colleague/friend had an old car 2001 plate and actually used it for practising and now hes passed his test.so do u think i should wait and save properly?

I would. Unless your parents can sponsor the purchase it’s a much better bet if you can use someone else’s car for a year or two
Reply 8

You can get insurance as a learner to drive someone's car without affecting their insurance. We did this for our son when he was learning - we used Provisional marmalade but there will be other options.

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance
Original post by Muttley79
You can get insurance as a learner to drive someone's car without affecting their insurance. We did this for our son when he was learning - we used Provisional marmalade but there will be other options.

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance

sadly, no one would let me drive in their car which is a shame.
would a car like this be expensive to run because it’s most likely going to have issues?
i love the look, however i need to be realistic.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307169721080?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=&body-type=&colour=&fuel-type=&include-delivery-option=on&make=Volkswagen&model=Beetle&postcode=sg19%202tl&price-to=3000&radius=45&transmission=&year-to=2023&fromsra
thanks for ur help
sadly, no one would let me drive in their car which is a shame.
would a car like this be expensive to run because it’s most likely going to have issues?
i love the look, however i need to be realistic.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307169721080?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=&body-type=&colour=&fuel-type=&include-delivery-option=on&make=Volkswagen&model=Beetle&postcode=sg19%202tl&price-to=3000&radius=45&transmission=&year-to=2023&fromsra
thanks for ur help

2litre engine is not sensible choice.

Look for a car with low insurance group - something like a Skoda citigo until you have got older and built up NCD.
Reply 11
Beetles are based on a mk4 golf which is both a good and bad thing - parts are very cheap and jobs are easy to do, however there are a few electrical and rust issues you'd need to watch out for when buying! You can get a good one for 2 grand. Smallest engine is a 1.6 which is quite large for a first car however and you might struggle to insure it. If you're looking for cutesy cars a 2001-2010 MINI One or a Fiat 500 or a Nissan Micra or an Alfa romeo MiTo might do you well?
Original post by Muttley79
2litre engine is not sensible choice.

Look for a car with low insurance group - something like a Skoda citigo until you have got older and built up NCD.

thank you i may look into that or possibly an UP volkswagen too.

Original post by oligti
Beetles are based on a mk4 golf which is both a good and bad thing - parts are very cheap and jobs are easy to do, however there are a few electrical and rust issues you'd need to watch out for when buying! You can get a good one for 2 grand. Smallest engine is a 1.6 which is quite large for a first car however and you might struggle to insure it. If you're looking for cutesy cars a 2001-2010 MINI One or a Fiat 500 or a Nissan Micra or an Alfa romeo MiTo might do you well?

thank you!! i dont like the fiat 500 but will definitely look into the others. i may also havw the UP volkswagen as a back up as they’re nice and maybe ill get a newer beetle when im older 😂
appreciate everyones help
thank you i may look into that or possibly an UP volkswagen too.

An Up! is also a good first car :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending