The Student Room Group

Dropping A level Maths? Help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ua3142
haha dont make the same mistake I did. IMO I would stick it out and carry on A level and try as hard as you can. That is because top science courses require maths + sciences A LEVELS and engineering, you definitely need them.
Ok if you do carry on,you might do bad in the C3+C4, dw life isn't over if you fail it. You can always resit it the next year as well doing something productive and beneficial in the 'gap year'. But you obviously seem talented enough to cope with the pressures doing 3 demanding A-levels.

If you do decide to carry it on, you have to get your teacher on your side, show them that you will work hard. Organise a meeting with you, your maths teacher and the head of the sixth form to discuss 'a plan' to help you achieve your potential. Even if your Maths teacher says you might fail, just go up to them and say 'I am going to carry on and I want to do really well in maths. Will you help me?'. Also know that you have be proactive and set a good example.

The only person to truly tell you that you cannot do something is yourself, not your teachers or parents, its your mind. Convince yourself that you will do well and show your teacher.

You make really good points, I spoke to my maths teacher today and he seemed more sympathetic when i told him how hard i worked to get where i am doing a level maths now, but thank you so much yeah a part of me just really wants to prove him wrong
Reply 21
Original post by chrlhyms
You make really good points, I spoke to my maths teacher today and he seemed more sympathetic when i told him how hard i worked to get where i am doing a level maths now, but thank you so much yeah a part of me just really wants to prove him wrong

That's awesome to hear, it's going to be hard but don't give up. Just remember to work hard and do it for yourself.
Original post by chrlhyms

I bet you can prove him wrong too. Persevere even when the going gets tough (there are some hard bits to get your head around). But don't do it just to prove him wrong. Do it because you want to. The proving him wrong will just be a bonus. And if the going gets tough... Go on TSR or other help websites, loads of people should be able to help you... (If your friends/teacher can't).

Good Luck. And Enjoy A Levels :smile:
Original post by Tiva4Eva
I bet you can prove him wrong too. Persevere even when the going gets tough (there are some hard bits to get your head around). But don't do it just to prove him wrong. Do it because you want to. The proving him wrong will just be a bonus. And if the going gets tough... Go on TSR or other help websites, loads of people should be able to help you... (If your friends/teacher can't).

Good Luck. And Enjoy A Levels :smile:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest