The Student Room Group

Am I In the Wrong...?

I just want to know your opinions on a little matter that occured just now. I feel like a cheap tight bastard who's just out to cause trouble, but then again, I do feel as though my complaints are just. So...here it is.

I just went down to my local library to get out a few books I wanted. I go up to the desk and they tell me I have a 16p fine because I returned my last book late. Now, I thought this might be a problem, because the last book I borrowed has a due date of 24th of December 2003. And I distinictly remember that on the 24th of December I went to return that book. Obviously, being xmas eve, the library was shut, so I just popped it through the letter box.
Now the lady at the desk explained to me (she was getting rather frustrated at my refusal to pay 16p....I said i would if that's what had to be done, if I was wrong about my complaint....but you judge for yourself) that a book that is returned on a date when the library is shut (or in the evening after they have closed) will be processed the next opening day's morning, and processed under the previous days date. Thus a book dropped in last night that was due yesterday, for example, would be processed this morning, but will incure no fine because it was returned yesterday, on it's due date.

Now, the system claimed that my book had been returned on the 29th of December. This seems to be the first day they opened after christmas, thus you would think that any books processed that morning would be run through as being returned on the 24th of december. However, clearly mine has not. Am I just in refusing to pay 16p (which I am willing to pay if I am wrong, 16p is very little, but I still have to do 3 and a half minutes work at my job to earn that much!), or am I a complete tight arse who is just out to cause trouble!

In the end I didnt pay the fine, they let me take out my books (they had got thoroughly annoyed at me....poor customers service it really is), but I need to still contest the fine or otherwise pay it, the next time I try and take books out.

Mod Expression - Strong Language Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.

Scroll to see replies

I apparantly owe sixteen pounds to my local library for a book called 'Making Fireworks MX' - that I had never borrowed?! I still haven't paid them, and I don't intend too - why should I?! I have never been so grateful for the library I have at home, bless my parents :smile:
Reply 2
You went to return a library book on Christmas Eve?
You're in the right, but I'd pay the fine anyway (16p!).
Reply 4
the book was due back on xmas eve and I had completely forgotten about the book until I saw it on my desk that morning!!! I wasnt in the mood to get a fine, cos I've had huge fines before which i've been thoroughly annoyed at, so I went out to return it.

Oh I just called the library and managed to get the fine cleared, but I still feel a little tight. Still, it's a battle won against hte evil bastards which are the library system.

I hate the library system. It all started when they didnt give me a job on the grounds that they effectively assumed I was racist, and because in the interview I did not expressly say "I am not a racist", their assumption held, and so didn't give me a job. What arseholes! And they're paid ridiculous amounts just to be even bigger arseholes! STUFF THEM. WHEN I'M PRIME MINISTER, I'M GONNA GET THEM ALL SLAUGHTERED I TELL YA!

USER BANNING NOTICE

This user has now been banned for persistant profanity. 28 Days commencing today.
Reply 5
nope you were perfectly right!!
Reply 6
waiting2smile
I apparantly owe sixteen pounds to my local library for a book called 'Making Fireworks MX' - that I had never borrowed?! I still haven't paid them, and I don't intend too - why should I?! I have never been so grateful for the library I have at home, bless my parents :smile:

you have your own library :eek:
Well I never pay my fines. I still have a £40 fine for not taking my health promotion on alcohol book back :eek: . I did have it over a year tho. I just took it back and said i will pay next time :wink: .

So don't pay your 16p :tongue: . You rebel :biggrin:
Reply 8
no one could ever be exactly right
Reply 9
You were in the right, you stuck by your principles :biggrin:
Willa
I just want to know your opinions on a little matter that occured just now. I feel like a cheap tight bastard who's just out to cause trouble, but then again, I do feel as though my complaints are just. So...here it is.

I just went down to my local library to get out a few books I wanted. I go up to the desk and they tell me I have a 16p fine because I returned my last book late. Now, I thought this might be a problem, because the last book I borrowed has a due date of 24th of December 2003. And I distinictly remember that on the 24th of December I went to return that book. Obviously, being xmas eve, the library was shut, so I just popped it through the letter box.
Now the lady at the desk explained to me (she was getting rather frustrated at my refusal to pay 16p....I said i would if that's what had to be done, if I was wrong about my complaint....but you judge for yourself) that a book that is returned on a date when the library is shut (or in the evening after they have closed) will be processed the next opening day's morning, and processed under the previous days date. Thus a book dropped in last night that was due yesterday, for example, would be processed this morning, but will incure no fine because it was returned yesterday, on it's due date.

Now, the system claimed that my book had been returned on the 29th of December. This seems to be the first day they opened after christmas, thus you would think that any books processed that morning would be run through as being returned on the 24th of december. However, clearly mine has not. Am I just in refusing to pay 16p (which I am willing to pay if I am wrong, 16p is very little, but I still have to do 3 and a half minutes work at my job to earn that much!), or am I a complete arse who is just out to cause trouble!

In the end I didnt pay the fine, they let me take out my books (they had got thoroughly annoyed at me...., poor customers service it really is), but I need to still contest the fine or otherwise pay it, the next time I try and take books out.

I think you have a point: if the due date isn't a day they're open, surely the following day they're open should be considered the new due date...
Invisible
Give them the 16p and shut the hell up.

hehe. Would you say the same to my £40 fine?
You're in the right - get them to write off the fine then ask them how you can donate some money towards library funds and give them 20p :wink:
Whats_The_411?
Well I never pay my fines. I still have a £40 fine for not taking my health promotion on alcohol book back :eek: . I did have it over a year tho. I just took it back and said i will pay next time :wink: .

So don't pay your 16p :tongue: . You rebel :biggrin:

I've already paid £30 for parking on a place for taxis (what an idiot!).
When I was in Berlin, this dickhead neighbour wanted me to pay for a so-called scrape on his car that I had caused. As it was during the Love Parade weekend, I thought that it might have happened and that I was too tired to notice.

After a few weeks asking me if I'd contacted my insurance (I had, saying the guy was trying to rip me off), he told me we could settle the affair by paying him £200 to get a paintjob and according to him, I'd save money.

I even got called to the local police station (the guy probably thought a foreigner would be helpless). I asked to see the police report, and the officer went "no no this isn't right, there's loads of info missing". So as this smellt a bit fishy, I signed a witness report and buggered off.

Well, I never paid the asshole and I don't think I got charged by my insurance although I'm not sure if he got any money out of it.
Reply 14
i'm not giving the library any money, arses the lot of them!

16p isn't worth an argument even if you are in the right, frankly it's too early to understand your point but i assume you're right since you're so testy about it. You reminds me of somebody who used another forum with your screename actually....o_O
I wouldnt pay, stick to your guns blud!
SamTheMan
I've already paid £30 for parking on a place for taxis (what an idiot!).
When I was in Berlin, this dickhead neighbour wanted me to pay for a so-called scrape on his car that I had caused. As it was during the Love Parade weekend, I thought that it might have happened and that I was too tired to notice.

After a few weeks asking me if I'd contacted my insurance (I had, saying the guy was trying to rip me off), he told me we could settle the affair by paying him £200 to get a paintjob and according to him, I'd save money.

I even got called to the local police station (the guy probably thought a foreigner would be helpless). I asked to see the police report, and the officer went "no no this isn't right, there's loads of info missing". So as this smellt a bit fishy, I signed a witness report and buggered off.

Well, I never paid the asshole and I don't think I got charged by my insurance although I'm not sure if he got any money out of it.

Some people are so bad. Well done. And a message for everyone. Never pay your fines :smile: .
Reply 18
I would've given them 20p, told them "Don't spend it all at once", and never gone back there again. :wink:
Gimp
I would've given them 20p, told them "Don't spend it all at once", and never gone back there again. :wink:

Wow, giving them a tip and everything, you generous lad.

Latest

Trending

Trending