The Student Room Group

Help - What does payment on completion mean?

I had some building works done and it says payment on completion.

I have sent an email to the builder of outstanding works and works that need to be rectified. However, he will only come and look at them after I make the final payment of several thousands of pounds.

I don't think that is fair demanding the final payment when things remaing left to do.

Can someone tell me if my understanding of payment of completion is right? i.e when everything is done and resolved.

What should I do now?
Reply 1
If the contract says payment on completion and there is issues with the work it is not complete. Likely the builder will get lawyers involved but at the end of the day he’s in the wrong for not completing the work to the specifications it should have been. You can either get someone else in to complete the work and subtract that from the final payment or just hold your money until the builder takes it further.

Biggest thing you shouldn’t do is pay the final amount because chances are you will never see the builder again and nothing will be rectified!
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
If the contract says payment on completion and there is issues with the work it is not complete. Likely the builder will get lawyers involved but at the end of the day he’s in the wrong for not completing the work to the specifications it should have been. You can either get someone else in to complete the work and subtract that from the final payment or just hold your money until the builder takes it further.

Biggest thing you shouldn’t do is pay the final amount because chances are you will never see the builder again and nothing will be rectified!

Thanks. That is what I thought too. However, he is insisting that he has completed and can come back to do works under warranty. I am confused as surely the works need to be finished and completed correctly in the first place and warranty would kick in further down the line if things went wrong afterwards?

Any thoughts?
Reply 3
Original post by Kutie Karen
Thanks. That is what I thought too. However, he is insisting that he has completed and can come back to do works under warranty. I am confused as surely the works need to be finished and completed correctly in the first place and warranty would kick in further down the line if things went wrong afterwards?

Any thoughts?

Warranty is if things go wrong, they haven’t gone wrong because they weren’t done properly in the first place. Any honest contractor would want all the work done properly before to ensure a happy client before full payment is made.
He obviously just wants payment and doesn’t care about the quality of his work which is a shame
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
Warranty is if things go wrong, they haven’t gone wrong because they weren’t done properly in the first place. Any honest contractor would want all the work done properly before to ensure a happy client before full payment is made.
He obviously just wants payment and doesn’t care about the quality of his work which is a shame

Thank you. I thought I was going mad. That is exactly what I understood too. Good that I am not alone in thinking this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending