The Student Room Group

Relocation

So there are no jobs for my industry in my current area, but plenty in other parts of the country. It looks like I'm going to have to relocate to stay in this industry, something I am more than willing to do.

My question is, since it has my address on my CV, do i have to put on my CV and/or cover letter that I am willing to relocate? Will it increase my chances of getting an interview? Are employers being put off because I haven't got that anywhere right now? What difference does it actually make?

Thanks.
Hi,

There is no need to put your address on the CV. In fact, I would advise you not to but just put your email and contact phone number. How do you normally apply for jobs? Do you have a cover letter? Which industry are you in?

It is good that you are thinking of relocating. Some jobs will actually help you with paying towards for relocation.
Original post by FightToWin
So there are no jobs for my industry in my current area, but plenty in other parts of the country. It looks like I'm going to have to relocate to stay in this industry, something I am more than willing to do.

My question is, since it has my address on my CV, do i have to put on my CV and/or cover letter that I am willing to relocate? Will it increase my chances of getting an interview? Are employers being put off because I haven't got that anywhere right now? What difference does it actually make?

Thanks.

Just put a line in your covering letter at an appropriate point (either when saying why you'd like to work for this employer, or at the very end) saying you are already looking at relocation options.

Mostly employers will presume if you are applying, you have considered relocation, and like how you travel to work, that's your business not theirs. However, note that relocation expenses are usually only paid to more executive levels where an employer can be more certain of a long-term commitment. You aren't going to get relocation expenses of any significance for a retail role or something you are only going to spend a year or two doing.
Reply 3
Hey,

Oh really? I've always been told to put my address on my CV, but guess it's pointless if I'm relocating anyway... guess I should delete it.

I'm working in the aviation industry atm but there's just one regional airport in Newcastle where I am atm and they only hire a few times a year, with all the competition coming from the college students each year. I normally just look at a lot of different aviation search terms on Indeed, there doesn't seem to be a specific website for aviation jobs, apart from jobsinaviation.com, which isn't very good.

Yeah I make a different cover letter for each job I apply for :smile:
relocating is a great idea! If you get offered a job somewhere else and you find yourself moving, this might be of some help to you:
http://advice.milkround.com/5-strategies-for-stress-free-relocation

Good luck on all your applications!
Reply 5
Original post by Milkround
relocating is a great idea! If you get offered a job somewhere else and you find yourself moving, this might be of some help to you:
http://advice.milkround.com/5-strategies-for-stress-free-relocation

Good luck on all your applications!

Thank you! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending