The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A 2017 Exam Thread (New A Level)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by APersonYo
Not to worry. Found it.

So this is what the question said:

Fruit Juice contains a mixture of ORGANIC ACIDS.

( This is where I slipped up, but when a question mentions organic acid, they're referring to COOH).

So We have Acid C, an aliphatic organic acid present in the fruit juice.

Aliphatic denoting containing carbon atoms joined together in a straight or branched chain.

1.21*10^-2 mol C has a mass of 2.323 g.

So, lets start off with working out the Mr of C.

Mr of C: 2.323/ 1.21*10^-2 = 191.984711 or 192 g mol^-1 (3.s.f.)

The question tells us that 1 mol of acid C requires 3 mol NaOH for neutralisation. This denotes that acid C must have 3 COOH groups.

So we subtract the Mr of COOH groups and the OH group from the Mr we found. This is because the question mentions that the acid C also contains a hydroxyl group. Additionally, the Acid C contains a hydroxyl group but produces no colour change with hot acidified dichromate. This denotes that it's a 'tertiary alcohol', as tertiary alcohols cannot be oxidised and thus the O-H group must have three alkyl groups attached to its carbon atom to which the hydroxyl group is attached to

Mr of COOH= 45
Mr of O from hydroxyl group = 16

The molecular formula of C is C x H y O 7

Lets remove the Mr of the oxygen atoms in order for us to obtain just the C x H y part.

192- (3*45) - 16= 41

Therefore C x H y = 41

Therefore C x H y must be C3 H5

Now the question also mentions that there are 4 peaks in the 13 C NMR spectrum and thus we must have 4 different types of carbon environments.

This denotes that the molecule must be:

COOH-CH2- C(COOH)(OH)- CH2- COOH

( I know thats not correct notation of a molecular formula, I just want you to be able to see what the structure would look like. Note that the COOH OH groups are attached to the same carbon.

And there you have it.

Thank you, i got very close taking into account the 3 COOH groups and the OH group. But just couldnt see the C3H5
How did people find the unlocked unified paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by AmiraKadd

Posted from TSR Mobile

much easier than the other unified papers locked papers
Reply 183
Does everyone know about the 3 bonds apart rule in proton NMR, was covering it as i felt there was a slight gap in my knowledge and this rule brought it all together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Similar difficulty. But weirdly my unified is my strongest paper compared to paper 1 and 2 😂
Reply 185
Original post by studentsixth
Similar difficulty. But weirdly my unified is my strongest paper compared to paper 1 and 2 😂

whats your weakest?
Original post by gi9002
Does everyone know about the 3 bonds apart rule in proton NMR, was covering it as i felt there was a slight gap in my knowledge and this rule brought it all together.

Never heard of it :redface: could you explain it or its use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
14 Which substance(s) experience(s) induced dipole–dipole interactions (London forces)?

1 C2H5OH

2 H2O

3 SiO2

A 1, 2 and 3

B Only 1 and 2

C Only 2 and 3

D Only 1

Your answer

[1]
hey that was a question on one of the practice papers the correct answer is B but in the pearson book it says "london forces exsist in molecules but are only considered when there a re no other intermolecular forces at play" can anyone explain to me why SiO2 does not have london forces (or could it be a mistake in the mark scheme)
Reply 188
Original post by medicapplicant
14 Which substance(s) experience(s) induced dipole–dipole interactions (London forces)?

1 C2H5OH

2 H2O

3 SiO2

A 1, 2 and 3

B Only 1 and 2

C Only 2 and 3

D Only 1

Your answer

[1]
hey that was a question on one of the practice papers the correct answer is B but in the pearson book it says "london forces exsist in molecules but are only considered when there a re no other intermolecular forces at play" can anyone explain to me why SiO2 does not have london forces (or could it be a mistake in the mark scheme)

SiO2 is a GIANT covalent lattice where all the atoms are joined together by covalent bonds. That's the force present between the atoms. SiO2 is not a molecule but a giant lattice.
Original post by StA200
SiO2 is a GIANT covalent lattice where all the atoms are joined together by covalent bonds. That's the force present between the atoms. SiO2 is not a molecule but a giant lattice.

oh ok thanks
Original post by gi9002
whats your weakest?

Paper 1 :frown:
Reply 191
Original post by MilindS99
Never heard of it :redface: could you explain it or its use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

when your looking at a proton directly attached to a carbon atom (so that proton environment) if there is no protons adjacent within three bonds there will be no splittings, im not sure how to explain it i can send you the link though its ocr relevant if you want? it helped a lot for me for the harder table questions where you fill in a table asking for the relative area, splitting etc..
Reply 192
Paper 1 :frown:

how when you got 82/100? lol thats pretty good on a practice paper which everyone seems to be doing bad in, but for me organic is the best, then physical then synoptic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gi9002
when your looking at a proton directly attached to a carbon atom (so that proton environment) if there is no protons adjacent within three bonds there will be no splittings, im not sure how to explain it i can send you the link though its ocr relevant if you want? it helped a lot for me for the harder table questions where you fill in a table asking for the relative area, splitting etc..

Could I please have that link too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Could I please have that link too

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btbezNOI68 this guys really good you probably already know of him, he starts to talk about it from 1:40
Original post by gi9002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btbezNOI68 this guys really good you probably already know of him, he starts to talk about it from 1:40

Thanks, just watched it and it makes more sense now : )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gi9002
how when you got 82/100? lol thats pretty good on a practice paper which everyone seems to be doing bad in, but for me organic is the best, then physical then synoptic.

Sorry I got 82/100 on paper 2 not 1!! Paper 1 I just got back and failed hahahah
Reply 197
Sorry I got 82/100 on paper 2 not 1!! Paper 1 I just got back and failed hahahah

by fail less than 60? and which set was this?
Reply 198
Thanks, just watched it and it makes more sense now : )

Posted from TSR Mobile

what you doing for biology? im stressed out for that subject im still brushing up on biotech and ecosystem then i have to recap on mod 4 all over again too plus PAPERS!!!
Original post by gi9002
what you doing for biology? im stressed out for that subject im still brushing up on biotech and ecosystem then i have to recap on mod 4 all over again too plus PAPERS!!!

Yeah I'm really stressed about it too :frown: I've got so much recapping to do and only really done module 5 pps properly and some AS. I'm gonna try and get through a bunch of module 6 papers next week cause I feel like it's my weak area, wbu? Do you feel more ready for chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending