The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A 2017 Exam Thread (New A Level)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
Has anyone seen the grade boundaries? So damn high for an A*
Original post by A.K57

Apparently it was easy though, at least compared to AQA and Edexcel
Reply 2962
Original post by AnIndianGuy

It was probably easier but 86% just makes it look too easy and you have to factor in the small errors that everyone makes and it looks all that much harder considering it was 88 in paper 1, 87 in paper 2 and 57 in paper 3 which is the one which pulled it down.

Your source couldn't be more wrong. OcrA chem was really challenging and I got 90% in the new AS level last year. Seriously worrying if I even got a B with those grade boundaries:frown:((

Original post by A.K57

Yesss, I could cry.

It was easier but not that easy! A is only 73%!
Original post by CutieTootsie
Your source couldn't be more wrong. OcrA chem was really challenging and I got 90% in the new AS level last year. Seriously worrying if I even got a B with those grade boundaries:frown:((

Yesss, I could cry.

There was so much fuss about slashing grade boundaries, but in reality, they're actually really close to what was predicted back in June.
Reply 2966
Original post by studentsixth
It was easier but not that easy! A is only 73%!

I agree A is seems fine considering it was 77% in AS but A* is just mean.
Reply 2967
Original post by Desmos
There was so much fuss about slashing grade boundaries, but in reality, they're actually really close to what was predicted back in June.

Need proof of your prediction screen shot?
Original post by A.K57
Need proof of your prediction screen shot?

Find the unofficial mark scheme thread. I remember a lot of people saying A* would be ~88/100
Reply 2969
Original post by Desmos
Find the unofficial mark scheme thread. I remember a lot of people saying A* would be ~88/100

I misread your original post. I thought you were saying you were claiming to have gotten them all right.
The OCR biology grade boundaries i think are pretty good, so hopefully an A*. But for OCR Chemistry the A* boundary worries me, i feel i'm really borderline.
Reply 2971
Original post by Tuffyandtab
The OCR biology grade boundaries i think are pretty good, so hopefully an A*. But for OCR Chemistry the A* boundary worries me, i feel i'm really borderline.

I feel similar like 1-4 marks short of an A*. Do you need an A* in chemistry as part of your offer?
The boundary for an A* in old spec OCR chem was always around 88% and sometimes 90+. So the boundary has actually gone down.
Reply 2973
Original post by Fusarium
The boundary for an A* in old spec OCR chem was always around 88% and sometimes 90+. So the boundary has actually gone down.

It's fluctuated from 71% to 88%. So I wouldnt say it has gone down. But as it was the first year of new spec there was a lot of hope generated in terms of grade boundaries. But things did not turn out that way.
Original post by A.K57
I feel similar like 1-4 marks short of an A*. Do you need an A* in chemistry as part of your offer?

I need A*AA but in any of my subjects. But it would be nice to exceed the offer. How about you?
Reply 2975
I need A*AA but in any of my subjects. But it would be nice to exceed the offer. How about you?

I wish I had that offer. What was your course? I need A*A*AA with A* in maths and chem and A in physics and f.maths. I have a deferred entry for 2018 so maybe imperial will let me in if I miss in chemistry.
Original post by A.K57
I wish I had that offer. What was your course? I need A*A*AA with A* in maths and chem and A in physics and f.maths. I have a deferred entry for 2018 so maybe imperial will let me in if I miss in chemistry.

Natural Sciences at Exeter. I do/did a level chemistry, biology, maths and computer science. which course is that for?
Reply 2977
Natural Sciences at Exeter. I do/did a level chemistry, biology, maths and computer science. which course is that for?

Chemical engineering. Good luck to you.
Original post by A.K57
Chemical engineering. Good luck to you.

Good luck to you too. How are you feeling for maths? edexcel?
Original post by Fusarium

On average an A* on the old spec was about 83-85%. The only times it went into the 90s was in organic where they would literally regurgitate the same questions from previous papers. These exams weren't the hardest but a 13% jump from A to A* seems a bit off to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending