The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A 2017 Exam Thread (New A Level)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oni176
Oh ok. What about the graph question where I've said as the the temperature increases, the reaction does not become feasible because delta G is >0. So the feasibility decreases no matter the changes in the entropy and enthalpy change? How many marks will I get out of 4?

Depends how it was worded exactly. Did you not mention the intercepts ? Maybe 1/4.if you mentioned the intercepts 3/4 from the info you've provided
Original post by lewe
Diazonium ions aren't on the spec are they ?

Not anymore
Unlikely they'd ask a question on it tbh but they could.the first step we probably could do ( I think it's nitration of benzene )
Not sure if that is the first step lol
Original post by Chemndjsshdjdj
With proton nmr, are oh and nh protons always singlets??

And sh etc
Original post by Jitesh
And sh etc

I thought we only needed to know about oh and nh 😰 Which are the others??
Reply 1584
Original post by Chemndjsshdjdj
I thought we only needed to know about oh and nh 😰 Which are the others??

You're right, only need to know OH and NH

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw a specimen paper and it had 2 chlorobenzenes benzene and from that DDT was formed and then it asked what has to be reacted with the chlorobenzenes to form DDT. What mechanim is this? And how would you figure this out?
Original post by oni176
Oh ok. What about the graph question where I've said as the the temperature increases, the reaction does not become feasible because delta G is >0. So the feasibility decreases no matter the changes in the entropy and enthalpy change? How many marks will I get out of 4?

I presume that the 4 marks are allocated to:
Delta H being the y intercept
Delta H being negative/the reaction is expthermic
Delta S being negative
And the feasibility changing at the x-intercept

But I reckon that the first two may be combined points so the fourth one could be that the feasibility decreases as the temperature increases?
(edited 6 years ago)
Can anyone explain the differences between aliphatic, aromatic and alicyclic?

Are alicyclic molecules aliphatic?
Reply 1588
g
Original post by The_Special_One
Can anyone explain the differences between aliphatic, aromatic and alicyclic?

Are alicyclic molecules aliphatic?

Aliphatic molecules are straight molecules that may be branched
Alicyclic molecules are molecules with carbon atoms arranged in a cycle/ring
Aromatic molecules are molecules containing a benzene ring. Called that for their strong odour/"aroma"

Therefore alicyclic molecules are not aliphatic. Although one might think aromatic molecules are alicyclic (as benzene is a ring). But that isnt the case, benzene is an exception

anyone correct me if im wrong
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Theragingninja
Okay, first identify the topics your dropping marks on and focus on improving them. I usually just use physics and maths tutor for questions by topic.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-a/module-6/
If you have trouble with any concepts then check out this playlist on YouTube for clarification:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX4e2DxFRGQJLDbDUVVSB97-UwnBX1D6g
If it's difficult to remember the reactions then use a white board or plain piece of paper and try to recall as much as you can from memory, then check what you've missed out and rinse repeat until you've got everything spot on.
Hope this helps and good luck with your exam :smile:

Thank you so much, I will definitely try this! You too :smile:
Original post by LeahAkosua
Have you tried making a poster with all the reaction pathways? On p235 in the OCR Year 2 book, there is a good diagram.

Yes, that helped. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by AJ_P
g

Aliphatic molecules are straight molecules that may be branched
Alicyclic molecules are molecules with carbon atoms arranged in a cycle/ring
Aromatic molecules are molecules containing a benzene ring. Called that for their strong odour/"aroma"

Therefore alicyclic molecules are not aliphatic. Although one might think aromatic molecules are alicyclic (as benzene is a ring). But that isnt the case, benzene is an exception

anyone correct me if im wrong

I'm pretty sure aliphatic compounds are alicyclics if they are in a ring (cyclohexane). I think I recall the AS practice paper confirming that in the mark scheme
Original post by StA200
I'm pretty sure aliphatic compounds are alicyclics if they are in a ring (cyclohexane). I think I recall the AS practice paper confirming that in the mark scheme

that is true
how did people find set 1 organic paper, was it just me or extremely easy for a sample paper?
Original post by gi9002
how did people find set 1 organic paper, was it just me or extremely easy for a sample paper?

Really nice! The second paper was quite nasty though
Original post by StA200
Really nice! The second paper was quite nasty though

which second paper? the one with 8 marker nmr question at the end?
Original post by gi9002
which second paper? the one with 8 marker nmr question at the end?

It had several analysis questions tagged at the end but I personally found them quite tough. Struggled to finish on time too
Original post by gi9002

Can someone please explain q4c from unified chemistry practice paper set 2. I dont understand what mechanism it is and how that is on the specification
IMG_3516.PNGCan someone explain 4c to me? Feel free to send a diagram, I don't understand it :frown:
can someone please tell me which molecules are symmetrical and which are not (i know the basic ones non linear- unsymmetrical)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending