The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2018 Entry Discussion

Essential UKCAT Information - 2018 Medicine Applicants (Adapted from information here)

UKCAT Sections:
1) Verbal Reasoning
2) Quantitative Reasoning
3) Abstract Reasoning
4) Decision Making (Introduced in 2016; this section has replaced decision analysis)
5) Situational Judgement (Introduced in 2014 and does affect overall score)

Test Dates: 1st July 2017 - 5th October 2017
Registration Deadline: 21st September 2017
Test Location: Pearson Vue test centre
Test Fee: Β£65 (Β£80 - if taking test after 1st September 2017)

Average UKCAT Scores 2015 (2016 average in brackets)
Verbal Reasoning: 577 (573)
Quantitative Reasoning: 685 (690)
Abstract Reasoning: 640 (630)
Decision Making: trialled in 2016; scores not released

How Universities use the UKCAT? (link)

Free UKCAT Resources
Official Practice Questions
Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Verbal Reasoning Practice
Verbal Reasoning Practice

Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
GCSE Maths Practice

Abstract Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Abstract Reasoning Practice
Abstract Reasoning Practice

Situational Judgement Practice (More Advanced)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is pretty early, i would say forget about the UKCAT till your exams are over.

I'm pretty sure i didn't even know what the UKCAT was this time last year lol.

EDIT: Also get Medify, it really is worth it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Made a little video for those taking this year, be sure to check it out :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjZ3ata1i4
Stupid question, but is decision making fully confirmed for this years UKCAT test?
Ok so I'm in year 12 and so I will be applying to medicine in 2018 right ?
Reply 5
Original post by nisha.sri
Ok so I'm in year 12 and so I will be applying to medicine in 2018 right ?

no we apply by October this year
Original post by k.m.b
no we apply by October this year

So when do we take the UKCAT this summer
?
?

August

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
?

For 2017 entry the dates were between 3rd July- 3rd October but afaik it costs an additional Β£15 (i think) to sit it from September onwards.
People in our year will probably sit the UKCAT in July-August because exams are done by then and we have more free time :smile:
Reply 9
To all people just starting to look at revision stuff - don't waste money on loads of books!!!!

Stick to practise tests and maybe 1-2 weeks of medify but keep your focus on the tests provided by UKCAT x
Glad to see someone started the 2018 thread already :smile:

Where you will be applying to? I am in Scotland, so I'll be trying Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Time to get some books for revision, I guess :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SandyZiggy
Glad to see someone started the 2018 thread already :smile:

Where you will be applying to? I am in Scotland, so I'll be trying Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Time to get some books for revision, I guess :smile:

It really, really isn't. Focus on school for now. Start UKCAT prep about a month before your test.
As ForestCat said, anyone thinking about starting prep before May or so, honestly - don't. You'll just end up running out of questions months before the test. Given how crucial it is to get routine just before the test, starting too early would probably just harm your score.
Right. You are probably right.

I am a little 'bored', as I am applying as a graduate, so no school for me :wink: I'll just keep reading up on other stuff :smile:
Right. You are probably right.

I am a little 'bored', as I am applying as a graduate, so no school for me :wink: I'll just keep reading up on other stuff :smile:

Even so, there is little point practicing for UKCAT yet. Reading up on other stuff sounds like a plan :smile:
Original post by ForestCat
Even so, there is little point practicing for UKCAT yet. Reading up on other stuff sounds like a plan :smile:

I am a bit scared of the whole UKCAT thing πŸ˜‚
I am a bit scared of the whole UKCAT thing πŸ˜‚

It's not that bad. Get medify a few weeks before and you'll be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
It's not that bad. Get medify a few weeks before and you'll be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was just looking whether it's worth to buy it, and looks like I got my answer :smile:
Yeah, I was just looking whether it's worth to buy it, and looks like I got my answer :smile:

Focusing on other stuff sounds good :smile: yep apparently Medify is good, and I'd also recommend the 1000Q book. The questions are unrealistically hard but after surviving them the actual test will feel like smooth sailing!
Original post by StationToStation
Focusing on other stuff sounds good :smile: yep apparently Medify is good, and I'd also recommend the 1000Q book. The questions are unrealistically hard but after surviving them the actual test will feel like smooth sailing!

I already got the 600Q book, and waiting for the 1000Q to arrive by post. Together with medify it should be enough practice, I guess :smile:

Latest