The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mincepiemmmm
Slightly unrelated, but I have the new version and I'm doing my exam on Monday. You can have my copy if you're happy to pay the postage / maybe a few quid.

I'll decide what I'm doing with it once I see my score. I've vowed that this is the last time I'm doing the ukcat, but I said that last year and I'm not a woman of my word.

On an even less related note, the DM questions by Kaplan are much harder than the Medify ones and I don't know what to make of it. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Thank you . I oredeeed it before I saw your post. Good luck with the UKCAT. Thank you anyway.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Yes, the only difference are the new 250 DM questions (plus I think some corrections to some of the older questions).

Thank you for your reply.
If you retake the Ukcat this year can you use the same pearsonvue account you used last year or do you have to re-register, please help thanks.
Original post by why123456
If you retake the Ukcat this year can you use the same pearsonvue account you used last year or do you have to re-register, please help thanks.

you use the same account
Reply 184
Is the Decision making section being marked and added to the final score on the UKCAT exam this year?
Original post by MemZi
Is the Decision making section being marked and added to the final score on the UKCAT exam this year?

Yes, it is.
Hi, hopeful applicant for 2018/2019 entry here (ive been thinking about a gap year). im sure im eligible for a lower ukcat score in manc as im a part of their manchester access programme and will probably receive a contextual flag. but just how important is it? Im really nervous, i dont know how to practise for it and i only have the 600 ukcat book as of now. My date for the exam is end of august so will practising a month earlier be helpful? How much practise do you need? like how many hours etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by shawnmendesfan
Hi, hopeful applicant for 2019/2020 entry here (ive been thinking about a gap year). im sure im eligible for a lower ukcat score in manc as im a part of their manchester access programme and will probably receive a contextual flag. but just how important is it? Im really nervous, i dont know how to practise for it and i only have the 600 ukcat book as of now. My date for the exam is end of august so will practising a month earlier be helpful? How much practise do you need? like how many hours etc.

Usually 2-3 weeks of intensive practice beforehand is enough. Is your 600Q book the old one? If it is, make sure that you get plenty of practice in the new decision making section.

The main goal should be to practice the different types of questions and your timings so that you have exposure to the different ways that they can ask you things and you have a technique that suits you for getting as much done in the time as you can.
Reply 188
Hi, hopeful applicant for 2018/2019 entry here (ive been thinking about a gap year). im sure im eligible for a lower ukcat score in manc as im a part of their manchester access programme and will probably receive a contextual flag. but just how important is it? Im really nervous, i dont know how to practise for it and i only have the 600 ukcat book as of now. My date for the exam is end of august so will practising a month earlier be helpful? How much practise do you need? like how many hours etc.

Many people have recommended medify. I have my exam in September so I will sign up soon. I recommend getting the 1250 book which is the latest instead of the 600 because it has all the new section questions to practice. I'm just practicing. An hour a day at the moment then I will increase time as I get closer.

The 600Q was the version for the exam pre-2015. Since then there have been two updates, this year's one being the 1250Q:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905812264
Well, just bought 1 month medify, and so it begins.
What scores are people aiming for this year? :smile:
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Well, just bought 1 month medify, and so it begins.

How much is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman

Hey, I am sitting the ukcat this year as a trial. I am aiming for 700.

700 average. I'll be happy with 690 though.
About 740 (graduate entry programs)
Original post by KittenMediaya
How much is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

£40
Reply 197

Hey :-) Try not to worry, the UKCAT is a completely new challenge to the vast majority of the students who take it. We usually tell our students that about 4 weeks of preparation, 2 hours of (timed) practice a day is about right for preparation. The key thing is just to do practice questions, train yourself in pattern recognition and use the most time-efficient techniques for each question type. You can find lots of practice info and tips on our online question bank UKCAT Ninja but feel free to ask on here any specific questions who have about aspects of the test that you struggle with :-)

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Yeah I'm also aiming for 700+, though it'll be challenging to achieve. I'm stressing tbh
Reply 199
Yeah I'm also aiming for 700+, though it'll be challenging to achieve. I'm stressing tbh

I wouldn't stress too much! Last year I wasn't getting anything more than 660ish in my mock exams but in the actual thing I got 770! The actual exam goes better for most people I've found.

Shame I have to do it again since I only applied to one UKCAT uni and got rejected post-interview lmao

Latest

Trending

Trending