The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bmd28
520 VR
610 DM
700 QR (I panicked )
610 AR (can't believe this, it was my strongest section)

Unfortunately I'm a graduate (well next year) so options are already limited . Was aiming for like at least 690 for Warwick at least

By looks of it if you hadn't panicked you may have improved your score. So was VR and DM difficult, for you? How did the DM compare to medify?
Original post by Bmd28
520 VR
610 DM
700 QR (I panicked )

Unfortunately I'm a graduate (well next year) so options are already limited . Was aiming for like at least 690 for Warwick at least

Doing the UKCAT 2nd time round, isn't as scary as the first time. A gap year would be good, and redo the UKCAT.
To everyone still to do the UKCAT, I don't want to seem like a Debbie Downer BUT its really important that you don't place any unnecessary pressure on yourself to achieve a high score before your exam. If you do this, you will stress and perform badly as well as feeling utterly defeated after your exam if you don't do as well as you hope. You've got to remember that the people posting their results here have done exceptionally well in many cases and it's not wise to compare yourself to people with 700+ scores and feel like anything under that is an immediate fail. None of us know the average yet for this year (bearing in mind DM is completely new so we can't even go off previous years scores.) The UKCAT is used differently by all consortium unis so you just have to remember to apply to your strengths. It's also important that you go through all the unis systematically yourself and make that decision on where to apply as I've seen quite a lot of false information floating around on tsr.
The point is that even if you still don't do as well as you hoped I'm sure you'll realise that you still have many options :smile:. After my UKCAT i felt utterly heartbroken and wasn't thinking straight until I did my research and realised I still had 6 good choices I could consider.

Good Luck everyone!
Original post by Bmd28
Didn't get any

Good because I bloody hate them.
Original post by Bmd28
520 VR
610 DM
700 QR (I panicked )

Were the patters in AR just really difficult to spot?
Original post by EphemeralP
For anyone who has completed the test; in the decision making section how many equations did you get? (the question where they substitute numbers for shapes)

I didn't have a single one. I also only had about 2 questions where they give you a list of names and objects and you have to work out who has what (or things along those lines). I only had 2 venn diagrams. I had SO many syllogisms and SO many best conclusion ones. DM was good for me though. I found it easy during practice and was getting 750-850 in mocks and practice. Only got 730 in the real thing though because the Qs were a lot harder than medify and the mocks.
Original post by Laura05Apple
I didn't have a single one. I also only had about 2 questions where they give you a list of names and objects and you have to work out who has what (or things along those lines). I only had 2 venn diagrams. I had SO many syllogisms and SO many best conclusion ones. DM was good for me though. I found it easy during practice and was getting 750-850 in mocks and practice. Only got 730 in the real thing though because the Qs were a lot harder than medify and the mocks.

Likewise, I'm finding DM quite easy apart from shape equations which I simply don't answer, so it's handy to know they haven't come up.
Congrats on the high mark.
Reply 1987
Can someone please help me, my UKCAT is in 4 days and I'm struggling with VR and QR. I get around 40% in these sections and the main problem is not answering all questions/ running out of time and guessing most of them.

Does anyone have any tips for these particular sections? It would be much appreciated!!

Please help my ukcat is so soon and I'm stressing !! :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Guys I just wanted to just quickly ask a quick question.

I did the UKCAT in 2015 and for QR we had 22 minutes to answer the questions, now Im hearing that we have 24 minutes for the same section?

Does this therefore mean that the questions are a lot harder than 2 years ago?

Thanks!
Hey guys I have my Ukcat in less than a week and just did the official UKCAT practice paper one today and got a 560 average :/ I did the medify mock a few days ago and got 720 average and am now really worried... how realistic is the practice paper?? thanks
Original post by Amelia2163
No problem!
And they were mainly the Venn diagram questions where it gives you a completed diagram and then it gives you four wordy options about it and you have to say which one is true. And the probability ones weren't too bad but to be fair I did enjoy stats at A level.

And the VR paragraphs weren't necessarily wordier, but they were longer, a lot of them needed you to scroll down to read the whole thing. I think this might be why I didn't do as well as I could have because I struggled with timing.

Whoa haven't seen those Venn diagrams.. are there any on Medify?! Any tips for probability.. atm it's 50/50 whether I get them right or not (ironically)

I really hope VR is better. VR and DM (although my fave) are where I struggle with timing. We'll see haha
Hey, for those who have done the exam, and used Medify AND Medic Portal for revision: Which resembles the actual exam more? I seem to be getting Band 1 on Medify and find the questions quite (dare I say) easy to do whereas the ones on Medic portal, I'm getting band 2 (roughly over 50% questions correct out of total attempted).
So I just did the official Mock A for UKCAT and absolutely failed the QR and AR, the QR being especially hard. Are both of these sections representative of the actual exam? :s-smilie: And what about VR- I felt in this mock it was Easier?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Daffy786
So I just did the official Mock A for UKCAT and absolutely failed the QR and AR, the QR being especially hard. Are both of these sections representative of the actual exam? :s-smilie: And what about VR- I felt in this mock it was Easier?

What were your scores?
With the QR, are you struggling with timing or actual methods?
Original post by Ninja_R
What were your scores?
With the QR, are you struggling with timing or actual methods?

Neither? In the few mocks that I have done I've achieved 750 (Kaplan book) as well as usually score high 600s, but the maths here was very tough with many large tables and calculations that take beyond 30s to answer.

However I must admit most of the time in QR I struggle to understand what the question means....
Original post by Bmd28
Hopefully. It's at 12

congrats on completing your ukcat!! if you don't mind me asking how did each subtest go?
Original post by lordofthehumans
Hey guys I have my Ukcat in less than a week and just did the official UKCAT practice paper one today and got a 560 average :/ I did the medify mock a few days ago and got 720 average and am now really worried... how realistic is the practice paper?? thanks

Your medify mock result is extremely promising. The difficulty of the medify mocks was almost identical to the real exam for me. The DM sections on the official mocks are the only section that is like the real exam tbh. QR is way too difficult in terms of the real exam at all. Do not worry one bit! :smile:
Original post by Bmd28
520 VR
610 DM
700 QR (I panicked )

Applying to GEM is probably out of reach for your average as they're about 80 points higher for cut offs and you VR would more than likely be too low for Warwick anyway
Try having a look at some undergrad schools if you have funding available to do so as you may be more competitive like said before I still wouldn't apply ukcat heavy
Original post by Daffy786

QR on official mock A is a joke so don't worry - my real exam was not half as difficult as that! :smile: VR is quite a lot easier as you suspect (but mock B and C are harder). AR is quite close so definitely focus on AR! I found AR really difficult on the official mocks and the real exam was quite similar.
Original post by hopefulmedic101
QR on official mock A is a joke so don't worry - my real exam was not half as difficult as that! :smile: VR is quite a lot easier as you suspect (but mock B and C are harder). AR is quite close so definitely focus on AR! I found AR really difficult on the official mocks and the real exam was quite similar.

Im useless at AR, on medify I always get like 60% per set and can never see the pattern. But my last 3 mock scores for AR on Kaplan and medify mock 1 have been 700, 700 and 730 ( I honestly don't know I swear the patterns have been easy than practice on medify or just lucky guesses), but today I got like 570 in AR on Mock A, I just couldn't spot any patterns :/

What was your overall score and mark breakdown? What sort of scores were you achieving in mocks?
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending