The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by banker22
Wow, amazing score. What has helped your AR the most? Was the Medify helpful at all for the official mocks? I've heard the Medify isn't representative and is way too hard.

I actually find Medify easier than the official mocks. In the mini-QR mock I got 830... Not to mention their way of calculations score for DM is completely off since they calculate each part of the syllogism, causing the average to be boosted (which is why I translated my score according to the official mocks).

Don't know how I got the AR score. Seriously felt like I got 550, if that. I just kind of tried the simplest, stupidest patterns I've found...

That's just me though. My friend finds Medify much harder and barely scores 600 average despite her doing rather well in the official 2 mocks (she got 650 and 670 respectively if I remember correctly).
Original post by massie25
I really like the Verbal Reasoning book! I'm working through it slowly.

I've done some of the questions in the book. I had a Q about your Extreme Language technique. It seems to work quite well for many of the VR questions, but do you think sometimes you can just guess based on it rather than actually reading the passage? Or is that quite risky!

Also what tips do you have for Decision Making. Do you have a free book for that too?

And in answer to your last question, you can get access to the other books here.

Otherwise check out our Youtube Page for some Decision Making tutorials.

Kunal
UCL Medicine Y4
medicmind.co.uk/resources
Original post by Brother24
Yes this book is really good. Many thanks. Do you have books for the other sections please?TIA

Glad you enjoyed the book!

To access the rest the information is here.

Otherwise have a look at our Youtube page for free tutorials. Or ask away with questions here, I am happy to help!

Kunal
UCL Medicine Y4
medicmind.co.uk/resources
Original post by Mac117
I actually find Medify easier than the official mocks. In the mini-QR mock I got 830... Not to mention their way of calculations score for DM is completely off since they calculate each part of the syllogism, causing the average to be boosted (which is why I translated my score according to the official mocks).

Don't know how I got the AR score. Seriously felt like I got 550, if that. I just kind of tried the simplest, stupidest patterns I've found...

That's just me though. My friend finds Medify much harder and barely scores 600 average despite her doing rather well in the official 2 mocks (she got 650 and 670 respectively if I remember correctly).

For AR do you find Medify representative at all? From what I have seen it's more complex and different kind of patterns than the official materials
For AR do you find Medify representative at all? From what I have seen it's more complex and different kind of patterns than the official materials

Tbh I find medify has both extremities a lot with not much in the middle!

I think AR is quite ok with Medify, but mainly because the book I have has rather complex AR examples (with "engines" and all...), therefore it was nice to go onto this and do something slightly easier. Nonetheless I still struggle with AR (duh, my results...).
Original post by Mac117
I think AR is quite ok with Medify, but mainly because the book I have has rather complex AR examples (with "engines" and all...), therefore it was nice to go onto this and do something slightly easier. Nonetheless I still struggle with AR (duh, my results...).

Is that the ISC 1250Q book or something else? I got 830 in AR last year and now I am barely able to answer any of the AR questions from the ISC book. Don't know if my ability has gone down or if I forgot how hard the ISC AR questions are.
Original post by CarlBane
Is that the ISC 1250Q book or something else? I got 830 in AR last year and now I am barely able to answer any of the AR questions from the ISC book. Don't know if my ability has gone down or if I forgot how hard the ISC AR questions are.

Great score! What did you use to get this score?
Original post by CarlBane

It is always good to get practice of different types of questions. The ISC book is extremely difficult and not representative of the actual exam - but this doesn't mean that you should avoid their book completely. Sometimes doing harder questions will mean you find averagely difficult questions easy :smile:

For a question bank, I'd recommend Medify - A resource we give free to all of our Medic Mind Mentees for one month.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Mohil
UCL Medicine Y4
medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring
Reply 389
pping
Original post by Medic Mind
It is always good to get practice of different types of questions. The ISC book is extremely difficult and not representative of the actual exam - but this doesn't mean that you should avoid their book completely. Sometimes doing harder questions will mean you find averagely difficult questions easy :smile:

For a question bank, I'd recommend Medify - A resource we give free to all of our Medic Mind Mentees for one month.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Mohil
UCL Medicine Y4

Hey is there such a thing of "over-prepping" or reaching your peak early?
Original post by SiMan
pping

Hey is there such a thing of "over-prepping" or reaching your peak early?

Hi SiMan,

There definitely is a thing of reaching your peak early. I found when I was revising for the UKCAT, that after a certain point I was not improving anymore and would end up over-complicating how to answer questions because I had done so much preparation. The best amount of preparation is 4-6 weeks - any more than that and you will 'reach your peak', and your progress will be lower after. There are several reasons for this, but one could be that you burn-out. You could become fatigued and when it comes to your exam you are unable to provide the same amount of energy and concentration as you would have earlier on.

But don't be cautious about this until you feel you have reached a level where you can no longer improve. Practice does make perfect with the UKCAT.

To quote our slogan, Motivate yourself, Mentor yourself, Maximise yourself :smile:

Good Luck! I'm here to help with any other questions you may have. How much preparation have you had so far? Are there any sections in particular you would like advice on?

Mohil
Medicine UCL Y4
Fyi I have rescheduled from Fri to next wed to avoid a conflict and to buy myself a couple more days! Keep us posted Mac - will be very interested to see how your mocks compare to the real thing.
Reply 392
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi SiMan,

There definitely is a thing of reaching your peak early. I found when I was revising for the UKCAT, that after a certain point I was not improving anymore and would end up over-complicating how to answer questions because I had done so much preparation. The best amount of preparation is 4-6 weeks - any more than that and you will 'reach your peak', and your progress will be lower after. There are several reasons for this, but one could be that you burn-out. You could become fatigued and when it comes to your exam you are unable to provide the same amount of energy and concentration as you would have earlier on.

But don't be cautious about this until you feel you have reached a level where you can no longer improve. Practice does make perfect with the UKCAT.

To quote our slogan, Motivate yourself, Mentor yourself, Maximise yourself :smile:

Good Luck! I'm here to help with any other questions you may have. How much preparation have you had so far? Are there any sections in particular you would like advice on?

Mohil
Medicine UCL Y4

Ah fair enough. My test is on the 10th next month. I've just been familiarising myself with the new format as I've done this test before. Just been working on techniques for VR at the moment without timing myself yet.
Fyi I have rescheduled from Fri to next wed to avoid a conflict and to buy myself a couple more days! Keep us posted Mac - will be very interested to see how your mocks compare to the real thing.

Good luck! Postponed mine from Tuesday to Friday because of a doctor's appointment haha :P

I could technically move mine by two weeks, but I honestly don't know if it's worth it. In the end the universities I wanted to apply to had less than 700 cut-offs in the past years (Kings, Leeds/Nottingham)... But if I somehow get less than 700 on Tuesday with my last Medify mock I am postponing for sure.

Bad news with today, as I somehow managed to only get 650 on the Kaplan QR mock, and only 710 in Decision Making. Got like 680-ish average only, too. About to do the fourth Kaplan mock now, let's see how it compares (I accidentally clicked off of the 2nd mock and got 1200 as my score because I didn't answer any questions, lol).
I thought it was C because it is 9/10 people and that can't be representative of all the teachers in the world
Original post by Mac117
Cannot be C. We don't know the sample size thus we don't know if it's a generalisation.

I would say it's D because those who talked to her would speak English and be more willing to teach science in that language. Therefore it's self-selecting
I would also say it's generalising as no how big matter the sample size (not to be confused with how representative), she only sampled people at a teaching seminar rather than all Chinese people in the world but perhaps D could also be the answer.
Original post by Mac117
Cannot be C. We don't know the sample size thus we don't know if it's a generalisation.

I would say it's D because those who talked to her would speak English and be more willing to teach science in that language. Therefore it's self-selecting
Okay people, mock 4 results are here! Kaplan again.

VR: 650 (meh)
DM: 800
QR: 800
AR: 630 (really...)
Band 2

Average: 720 Band 2

Not bad at all. Kind of disappointed with AR and VR considering the amount of effort I've put into them, but can't complain at all! Honestly if I got these scores on Friday I'd be a happy camper. And it's a massive improvement over the other Kaplan mock I did today. So considering that + the fact I am a bit tired after doing one exam already, I have to say I am not mad at all. Just going to review the AR now, as I was 100% sure I got 700 or more on that...

Note: I adjusted the DM score according to the official mocks, where 4/5 would give half a point instead of a full point. This increased the score by 2 whole points as I managed to get 4/5 in four different syllogisms. Emailed Kaplan twice about the way they grade this part of DM, but no response as of yet.
Original post by Mac117
Okay people, mock 4 results are here! Kaplan again.

VR: 650 (meh)
DM: 800
QR: 800
AR: 630 (really...)
Band 2

Average: 720 Band 2

Not bad at all. Kind of disappointed with AR and VR considering the amount of effort I've put into them, but can't complain at all! Honestly if I got these scores on Friday I'd be a happy camper. And it's a massive improvement over the other Kaplan mock I did today. So considering that + the fact I am a bit tired after doing one exam already, I have to say I am not mad at all. Just going to review the AR now, as I was 100% sure I got 700 or more on that...

Note: I adjusted the DM score according to the official mocks, where 4/5 would give half a point instead of a full point. This increased the score by 2 whole points as I managed to get 4/5 in four different syllogisms. Emailed Kaplan twice about the way they grade this part of DM, but no response as of yet.

Nice! Kaplan sucks...they are just too slow to adapt it seems.

Was that Kaplan #4?

Going to spend some time on Medify QR today...will try to do half of the sets. Also spent 1hr on AR. Tomorrow will be a full day of verbal.
Nice! Kaplan sucks...they are just too slow to adapt it seems.

Was that Kaplan #4?

Going to spend some time on Medify QR today...will try to do half of the sets. Also spent 1hr on AR. Tomorrow will be a full day of verbal.

Yeah it's Kaplan 4. Call me crazy but I'm about to do the 3rd mock of the day. Kaplan again. :lol:
Original post by Mac117
Yeah it's Kaplan 4. Call me crazy but I'm about to do the 3rd mock of the day. Kaplan again. :lol:

You are crazy af. If you tell me all of your mocks along with scores for each section (unadjusted) I can attempt to predict your score on the real thing based on data I have collected?

Latest

Trending

Trending