The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you struggling with a specific type of question?
Original post by Medic Mind
Are you struggling with a specific type of question?

it's the choice questions where you have to deduce info from the passage. i am able to do the t/f/ct questions but the other type i cannot. i find myself reading the passage so many times to find information which is wasting valuable time
thanks
Original post by leeeesh
it's the choice questions where you have to deduce info from the passage. i am able to do the t/f/ct questions but the other type i cannot. i find myself reading the passage so many times to find information which is wasting valuable time
thanks

I totally agree with you. I'm really good with the True or false questions but I struggle with the questions that are not true or false. I need a strategy fast!!! HELP!
Original post by Laurajane89
Ah thanks. 😊 lucky girl.

Well I haven't asked them yet! 😂
Original post by Bmd28
Hey Jess I was wondering how you manage to fit in revision with full time work? I i have just gotten a job as a full time HCA, but I'm scared I won't have any free time. UKCAT on 22nd of August, really don't want to postpone it, but thinking of taking 2 weeks off alreadt to prepare for it.

Hi, mine is the 22nd of August too! Aha. Well we work 2 long days and 2 short days. I spend my days off mostly at my computer or try few hours on my days off. On earlys I finish at 1530 so I try an hour on a night if I have time
just did medify mock one:

VR: 670
DM: 660
QR: 650
AR: 900
Total: 720
SJT: Band 2

Did much worse on the QR, normally I have been getting 750-800, which makes this disappointing, but I will be happy with this on the day. Will be doing more mocks in the days to come.

Final UKCAT Date: 11th August
Original post by singham97

Did much worse on the QR, normally I have been getting 750-800, which makes this disappointing, but I will be happy with this on the day. Will be doing more mocks in the days to come.

What strategies have you taken to improve your QR scores in the time constraints as it a subtest that I find quite challenging.
I would love to hear some of your tips.
Thanks
I've just been doing the official practise DM test and I'm a bit confused on a Venn Diagram explanation. The questions states that "There are 150 aquariums, 60 have yellow crabs, 81 have starfish and 43 have white dolphins, 20 have both starfish and white dolphins, 12 have both white dolphins and yellow crabs and 9 have both starfish and yellow crabs and 7 have all 3. They have drawn a Venn diagram with 7 in the middle, which I understand, but then on the overlaps, between white dolphins and yellow crabs for example, they have put in 12 and not taken away the 7 in the middle. I thought that for this, you would do "12-7" because out of the 12 that have both dolphins and yellow crabs, 7 would have all 3? I dont know if this makes sense and can put in a picture of the diagram they have drawn if it makes it any easier! Any ideas?
Just did my first computerised mock from the Medic Portal. Didn't give me individual numbers, but I did get this:

UKCAT score: 612

VR: 17/47
DM: 37/53
QR: 21/36
AR: 28/55
SJ: Band 2

Any ideas as to what the number scores would be for VR, DM, QR AND AR?
(edited 6 years ago)
When do the average results of the UKCAT cohort get released? Before or after we apply for Medicine this year?
Original post by alfresco_
When do the average results of the UKCAT cohort get released? Before or after we apply for Medicine this year?

After, most likely.
Original post by TracyEmu
That's brilliant!!! congratulations!!

1.please how were you able to perform so well in all your subtest such as QR especially with time constraints??

2. what resources did you use e.g medify?, ISC 1250Q etc which one was the best?

3. what scores were you getting in mocks? and which mocks from what website?

3. were the questions in the real thing easier or harder that the questions you prepared with?

4. Please TELL US YOUR STRATEGY?!! I have never seen such high scores before!!

Didn't really have any real strategy. In all the locks I really struggled with QR timing and got very low scores but that wasn't an issue at all in the real thing.
VR I would just skip through and answer all the true false ones first then come back round for the deduction ones
Mostly used medify, mock scores of mid 600s.

Questions were definitely easier than the mocks (especially in AR and QR) but I may have just got lucky

Good luck!
Original post by peanut098
Didn't really have any real strategy. In all the locks I really struggled with QR timing and got very low scores but that wasn't an issue at all in the real thing.
VR I would just skip through and answer all the true false ones first then come back round for the deduction ones
Mostly used medify, mock scores of mid 600s.

Questions were definitely easier than the mocks (especially in AR and QR) but I may have just got lucky

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'll will note this. ;-)

How did you get a raw score for DM? I only got a range on Medify
Original post by Fractite
Just did my first computerised mock from the Medic Portal. Didn't give me individual numbers, but I did get this:

UKCAT score: 612

VR: 17/47
DM: 37/53
QR: 21/36
AR: 28/55
SJ: Band 2

Any ideas as to what the number scores would be for VR, DM, QR AND AR?

using this equation (x/y multiplied by 600)+300 will give you

VR: 517
DM: 718
AR: 605

Average: 622

My UKCAT is on the 11th August too!!

I just did TMP Mock B and got 732 average Band 2 - so 2928 in total. I'd be happy with this on the day.
I still found AR difficult but I was happy with VR and DM, as usual really.
Original post by TracyEmu
What strategies have you taken to improve your QR scores in the time constraints as it a subtest that I find quite challenging.
I would love to hear some of your tips.
Thanks

honestly, like a week ago i was on 500, and then suddenly it just clicked. so unfortunately i dont really have a guide for you.

Original post by Kmalamp
How did you get a raw score for DM? I only got a range on Medify

for syllogisms, i counted 4/5 as 1 point. and 5/5 as 2 points. anything below 4/5 i took as 0 points. for all others i counted right as 1.
am i the only one who doesnt understand DM at all? i did medify and i get ~650-700 mostly, and i hear the actual test is ~150-200 points harder the medify for DM. i just cant do the ISC book DM questions. i am truly fked for DM
Original post by Benzeneiscool123
GUYS MEDIC MIND ONLINE COURSE IS FREE!!! It's so good thought I'd share with you

ukcatcourse.co.uk

Good Luck!

Yes, this is true!

ukcatcourse.co.uk

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 20.43.13.png

Good Luck!
Also for those of you asking about our 1-1 Mentoring Scheme

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 20.48.41.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)