The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annette_C
Hi, I was just wondering if you have any tips on how to do well in QR and SJ?
Thank you 😊

Timed Practice...... For SJ do practice questions and really read why something is important or not and it will click in time!
Original post by MollBritton98
Hi guys!
Just a few quick questions!

I have done my UKCAT and have a total of : 2980
VR: 640
AR: 750
QR: 890
DM: 700
SJ: band 1
Just wondering what unis would be good for me to apply to?
Also how much experience is everyone getting ?
So far I have volunteered on the A&E of 2 hospitals for 3 hours each week at each for a year, 1 weeks work shadowing at my GP (including shadowing pharmacists +GPS + nurses and observing clinics e.g. Minor operations and baby immunisations), volunteered for a week on an autism playscheme, and helped out weekly in lower school classes at my college and volunteered for a year at the health informatics department at a hospital, I'be also volunteered in Tanzania building a school.
Does everyone think this is enough??

Also I'm kind of a random case, I'm 19, i've already done 3 a levels, Maths, History and Theatre Studies scoring ABA* respectively and an A in AS further maths, and then realised Medicine was what I wanted to do so am redoing my A Levels - Chem, Bio and psychology predicted AA*A* with an A in AS geography.
Does anyone think will hinder / help my application or is there any unis that I should avoid does anyone know?

My GCSEs are 6 A* 2A 1B
Any help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you!!

pretty much any uni with that score and those sats ahah, just have a look at all of medical schools and what they require but you have amazing sats and ukcat score so i wouldnt worry!
I revised inconsistently for about a year, much more than most, but the UKCAT terrified me! Then for about a month before the exam I revised solidly for the majority of the day, (when I wasn't doing anything else really), the last week before I had severe tonsillitis (which really was a blessing) as I couldn't attend sixth form so spent all day revising! This is probably more than most but I always love to overprepare!
I'be already done my UKCAT so anyway I can help let me know

what score did you get?
Guys is medify a good example of the real UKCAT or is it harder/easier than the 2018 UKCAT taken by some people.
Original post by mygcserevision
PLEASE ANSWER-
how long does everyone spend roughly a day revising for the ukcat?
how many days do you revise for in a week?
when did you start revising?
whens your test date?
what do you do when revising?

my test is on the 4th september but im struggling to motivate myself to start so please any help is appreciated :smile:

Hi there,

You've got a lot of questions let me try and answer them one by one.

I'll tell you what I did back in 2013, 4 years ago.

I sat my exam on the last week of August, this was purely because I didn't want to do it when school had started and so it clashed with A-Levels, but also late enough so that I had completed all my work experience and had 4-6 weeks of preparation.

I always tell my students to follow this guideline if they want a really good score:
4 weeks to go - 1 hour a day
3 weeks to go - 1.5 hours a day
2 weeks to go - 2 hours a day
1 week to go - 2.5/3 hours a day.

I began revision around 4-5 weeks beforehand. I used an online study bank, but now I'd advice using Medify - it's thought to be the most accurate until test day.

I'd also watch some of our free YouTube tutorials, type in Medic Mind into YouTube or click this link: www.youtube.com/medicmind -

If you're struggling with theory and how to approach questions we've got an online course for £30 which you can use whenever you want until your exam day and lots have already signed up to. It comes with e-Books for each section which all total around 550 pages. http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-online-course.html

Lots of other resources on websites like 6Med and The Medic Portal too :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to DM us or write on this thread we'd be happy to answer.

With Love,
Mohil
UCL Y4 Medic
Co-Founder of Medic Mind
Original post by Crapateducation
Guys is medify a good example of the real UKCAT or is it harder/easier than the 2018 UKCAT taken by some people.

General consensus is quite accurate except Decision Making where people are unsure. What do you guys think? I'm not one to know since I sat it 4 years ago!
Original post by leeeesh
hi guys, i was just wondering what topics should i revise for DM? apparently medify is too easy

Hey, so there are 6 main topics for Decision Making.

Syllogisms - when you are given two or more statements and have to use logical reasoning to decide which conclusions follow.

Venn Diagrams - you may be presented with a set of statements and a set of different Venn Diagrams as response options. You will need to select the diagram that best represents the information provided.

Probabilistic Reasoning - you will be required to select the best possible response out of four statements regarding a probability scenario.

Logical Puzzles - you are given a series of statements that you need to infer information from. The statements may not make real-life logical sense, but try to deduce the conclusions you can gauge from the information provided.

Interpreting Information - you will be given information in the form of graphs, charts or written passages. You will be required to read this information and interpret it in a manner which enables you to decide the conclusions that follow best.

Recognising Assumptions - this will test your ability to evaluate the strength of an argument in support of or against a solution to a particular problem.

I'll be honest if you want to hone in on your theory, then our online course is a good bet. For £30 you get an e-Book for each section which is very detailed, especially for DM as people on this thread that have used it will know and online tutorials for each section. For example, DM has over 20 videos with a few more to launch this week.

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-online-course.html

It will be worth your money I promise you. Those are the main topics above, let me know if you would like me to explain anything.

With Love,
Mohil
Co-Founder of Medic Mind
Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Hey, so there are 6 main topics for Decision Making.

Syllogisms - when you are given two or more statements and have to use logical reasoning to decide which conclusions follow.

Venn Diagrams - you may be presented with a set of statements and a set of different Venn Diagrams as response options. You will need to select the diagram that best represents the information provided.

Probabilistic Reasoning - you will be required to select the best possible response out of four statements regarding a probability scenario.

Logical Puzzles - you are given a series of statements that you need to infer information from. The statements may not make real-life logical sense, but try to deduce the conclusions you can gauge from the information provided.

Interpreting Information - you will be given information in the form of graphs, charts or written passages. You will be required to read this information and interpret it in a manner which enables you to decide the conclusions that follow best.

Recognising Assumptions - this will test your ability to evaluate the strength of an argument in support of or against a solution to a particular problem.

I'll be honest if you want to hone in on your theory, then our online course is a good bet. For £30 you get an e-Book for each section which is very detailed, especially for DM as people on this thread that have used it will know and online tutorials for each section. For example, DM has over 20 videos with a few more to launch this week.

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-online-course.html

It will be worth your money I promise you. Those are the main topics above, let me know if you would like me to explain anything.

With Love,
Mohil
Co-Founder of Medic Mind
Medic Mind

I bought the Medic Mind e books and the videos and they're deffo worth it! They explain each section clearly and give timing tips which are very helpful.
Hey, with the decision making questions where you respond to 5 statements with a yes or no do you get a point for each correct answer or only a point if you get them all correct? Thank you :smile:
Original post by kerrym1175
Hey, with the decision making questions where you respond to 5 statements with a yes or no do you get a point for each correct answer or only a point if you get them all correct? Thank you :smile:

It is not that simple- full marks if you get all 5 correct, then you can get partially correct if you get say one wrong! Have not released exact scoring.
Original post by SiMan
In QR, are we expected to remember information from other questions of the same stem? or do we treat each question exclusively to the next

Hey!

A lot of the questions are follow through so remember to write down each step of your working on your whiteboard which will save you a lot of time whilst you may find it laborious.

Each question is not usually exclusive.

Hope that helps :smile:

With Love,
Medic Mind
Also if anyone has any specific UKCAT questions that they're stuck on, we've got a thread dedicated to that:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4859542&p=73051276&page=2#post73051276

:smile:

With Love,
Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Hey!

A lot of the questions are follow through so remember to write down each step of your working on your whiteboard which will save you a lot of time whilst you may find it laborious.

Each question is not usually exclusive.

Hope that helps :smile:

With Love,
Medic Mind

I do not agree with this- feels this waste huge amounts of time. I would write down some answer e.g. If you add a total in a table. Not all workings- pointless
Original post by xJessScott
what score did you get?

Hi! Can't remember if I replied to this sorry! But I got total of 2980 and Band 1
Original post by mygcserevision
wow thats amazing i hope that happens with me! did you time yourself when doing sections in the book or only when doing mocks?

AND also, given i have 4 sections to go through in the book each around 50 ques (with little subques excluded)- how much time should i spend each day? or how many ques should i go through each day?

my test is on the 4th of september but if i finish the book earlier i might do it earlier? i dont want to regret it! What did you do the dy before the test?
thankyou but i dont know where i can get more QR ques from because i finished the book? and did you practice with mental maths or the calculator? and which calculator did you use? i have no idea of the format or the tips of the calculator and how to use it in the exm because i use the book. do you reccomend medify?

I hardly used the books tbh! I spent a lot of hours a day but that's just what I'm like, 1-2 hours would probably be enough.
The day before the rest I used medify time trials and practised my weak spots and got an early night.
Always use the on screen calculator as it's awkward and you have to get used to it.
Medify is fab I would deffo get it!
Hi! Can't remember if I replied to this sorry! But I got total of 2980 and Band 1

Ah well done. Amazing score. Hoping to get one like yours. I've practiced a lot as well. Second time sitting ukcat and because I work full time I've been doing questions this time round since April or so :smile: so I'm hoping for a score like yours ahah
Did my second ever timed mock and got 2500 with Band 2 SJ.

Eh..
In the real UKCAT exam, are there DM questions with the square + square = circle type?!?!
Original post by mbarrett11
I do not agree with this- feels this waste huge amounts of time. I would write down some answer e.g. If you add a total in a table. Not all workings- pointless

Let me clarify - write down intermediate values on your whiteboard, because you don't have an answer function in your calculator.

So, for example, if you are working out the % increase in sales for each year for a clothes company, you can jot down the value for each year in your board.
Original post by alfresco_
In the real UKCAT exam, are there DM questions with the square + square = circle type?!?!

Yes! These do come up, and can be quite tricky.

Make the shapes algebraic letters. So a Square make s. A circle make c. A triangle make t.

Check out our free UKCAT tutorials on www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind

Latest

Trending

Trending