The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chelsea12345
hi, i'm struggling with Situational judgement part of the ukcat. My actual test is in 7 days and i cant seem to get any higher than band 3. Any tips to improve?

Hey, here are some Situational Judgement tips:

1. Use the GMC Guidelines as a Foundation

“The rules written by the GMC is the best place to start to understand medical ethics”

Every situational judgement question you are presented with will involve one of the principles that the Medical Council believed is necessary to be a good doctor. A lot of the scenarios will involve dental situations as well so regardless of whether you are applying for medicine or dentistry, it is important you get a good understanding of both.

The more you read up on the principles and know them inside out the better chance you have of doing well in this section.

Throughout your time doing questions you should write down principles you didn't know, forgot or found easy to forget. This means that on the day of your exam, you will be more able to remember these that you may have otherwise forgotten.

2. Read The Scenario Fully

“Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning had trained me to skip the passages in a question. The approach is very different for Situational Judgement, as I soon found out!”

We recommend taking your time to read the scenarios. They will inform you of key details that you may potentially miss if you go straight to the statements. Unlike other sections, you should not skim read.

If you are going through practice mocks and find that you are struggling for time, make use of the flagging technique. Go for the passages which are smaller and more straightforward in your eyes.

3. Questions Can Be Ambiguous

“The half marking scheme is there for a reason!”

There can sometimes be no correct answer. You must remember this. The SJT section can be very subjective and so it is important you think about what medical and dental professionals find appropriate and important, rather than your own beliefs.

4. Know Your Player

“Your answer to a question can vary from one end of the scale to another dependent on who you are. If you are a medical student, you can’t do much!”

Ensure you know the player. This will help put yourself in the shoes of the person who is giving the response.

Below is a week-by-week plan for SJT:

3 weeks to go- go through several scenarios which focus on a range of principles. Try and hone down on what differentiates an action which is appropriate and inappropriate as well as a factor that is either important or unimportant. Focus mainly on appropriateness as these questions come up more often..

2.5 weeks to go - begin working on timing by doing mini-mocks under test conditions. Use the official question banks on the UKCAT website as well to aid you. Begin writing down any principles you forget or find difficult to understand.

2 weeks to go- start undertaking full situational judgement mocks. Ensure you are strict with timing, and follow our guide of knowing the player and putting yourself in the position of the character.

1.5 weeks to go- go over the previous theory by rewatching our videos and the theory taught using the course booklet and online videos .

1 week to go - have a go at the scenarios on the General Medical Council website. They may not be completely consistent with the UKCAT questions, but will give you a better understanding of what is expected. There is no harm in more questions!

3 days to go - practice several situational judgement mocks back to back to develop your concentration skills for test day.

1 day to go - consolidate the techniques briefly and then relax!

Test day - read over the summary

Original post by nisha.sri
How do you guys do well in AR I can't seem to get anything right !! :frown:(((((((((((

We have lots of free tutorials on YouTube for Abstract Reasoning. Search "Medic Mind", or follow this link. They talk you through how to answer Abstract Reasoning questions.

youtube.com/medicmind

Let me give you some of my tips:

1. Patterns Will Repeat During Practice
“By the time you do the UKCAT you will have seen every possible pattern at least once”

When you do your first Abstract Reasoning test, it is very difficult to do well because you have no past experience. By the time of the test, you should have seen all the possible patterns once, if not several, times. This emphasises the importance of practice for Abstract Reasoning.

2. All Patterns Can Be Spotted Using SPONCS (Shape, Pattern, Orientation, Number, Colour, Size)

“It helped a lot using a table summarising all possible patterns, because it continually reminds you of what you need to be looking for”

We recommend using the pattern table every time you do an Abstract Reasoning passage. Throughout our years of UKCAT research, we have found all the common patterns and fit them into this table for you. Of course, you will get the odd pattern here or there which goes beyond the table, but it covers most of what you will face.

3. Beware of the Abstract Reasoning Timing Traps

“Abstract Reasoning was the most trickiest section in terms of timing. It is such a short section, so you need to adapt quickly, and Type 2 and 3 questions throw you off”

Firstly, Abstract Reasoning is the shortest UKCAT section, at 13 minutes long. It can come and go in a flash, and you need to adjust your timing to work quickly.

Secondly, confusingly you have to adjust the timing per pattern during the section (e.g. between Type 1 and 2 questions), so do not fall into the trap of spending too much time on non-Type 1 questions.

Thirdly, they will plant some extremely difficult sets to trap you. The better candidates will move on after 1 minute, rather than spend 3 minutes on a pattern. Consider it like this - if you spend 3 minutes on a single pattern, you have used nearly 25% of your time.

Here is a week-by-week guide on what to do

3 weeks to go- practice questions and adapt the theories you learnt. Timing not essential to begin with, just focus on applying the correct theory. Focus mainly on Type 1 Questions.

2.5 weeks to go - begin working on timing by doing mini-mocks under test conditions. Bring in Type 2, 3 and 4 questions.

2 weeks to go- work on full mocks to develop your skills for the last run. Use the Pattern Book whilst you do each mock.

1.5 weeks to go- revisit the theory taught using the course booklet and online videos

1 week to go - practice several Abstract Reasoning mocks back to back to develop your concentration skills for test day.

3 days to go - adapt to test conditions by replicating the conditions. Do a mock in your local library using an old computer and a whiteboard. You should no longer use the Pattern Table during mocks.

1 day to go - consolidate the techniques briefly and then relax!

Test day - read the Pattern Table before the test to trigger your mind. Good luck!

I hope this helps you! Feel free to ask any questions.

With Love,
Mohil
UCL Y4
Medic Mind
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Caps lock?? And what did You get in the official mocks

I'm sorry I meant number lock! In the official mocks I got about 2400, but I did them about 3 weeks ago, so I've had plenty of time to improve since using other various resources!
I think someone asked about the newer style Writer Questions, here is some information below:

So this new style of VR includes Writer Questions

Writer Questions are centred around the writer’s opinion. For example:

Which of the following would the author most likely agree with?

Which of the following does the author cite as a reason for the recession?

The author’s strongest stated opinion is…

For these questions we should only worry about the view of the author, not facts or statistics unless the writer has given an opinion on them.

Writer Question Approach

You can use the keyword approach again for Writer Questions. It is, however, particularly important to do step 1 thoroughly, and it is often worth reading the last few lines of the passage too:

Read the first two lines and last two lines of the passage to understand the general author opinion

Pick a keyword from the question statement

Search the passage to find the keyword. Read from the sentence before to the sentence after.

Eliminate the incorrect answers and select the correct one.

Finding the Conclusion of the Passage

The conclusion is the overall opinion of the passage. It can often be found at the end in the last paragraph, but the writer may also mention it in the first sentence of the passage and go on to discuss and justify the conclusion throughout the passage.

Finding the Writer’s Strongest Opinion

The writer’s most strongly stated opinion will tend to be found in the conclusion of the passage, so that is the best place to look.

The strongest stated opinion may be mentioned the most number of times, or it could be a topic discussed in the most detail.

When a question asks you for the writer’s strongest opinion, all of the options may be views held by the author. Therefore if you find a reference to statement A, for example, do not automatically assume that is the answer. You should check each option and find the strongest view.

Ideally the strongest view will be surrounded by an indicator phrase:

‘Most important of all…’

‘The most pressing issue…’

‘…. is very important’

Timing for Writer Questions

Author questions can be quite time-consuming because to understand the writer opinion you sometimes have to read several lines. Therefore be wary not to spend too much time on them if you cannot reach the answer.

All the material for these VR longer type questions are covered in our free VR guide

I hope that helps anyone that is confused about that :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stressedout1234
Congrats on the great score! Sorry for the amount of questions I'm going to ask
How was AR? We're the patterns really difficult?
Were there a lot of Venn diagrams for DM?
Were the passages long for VR and QR?
And how long did you spend preparing! lol sorry 😂
Well done! Enjoy a well deserved rest

Thank you!
If I'm quite honest, I can't really remember much of it, I guess it kind 'fell' out of my brain as soon as I left the exam room! But honestly I found it okay, could've been better or worse! In terms of preparation, I started about 4 weeks before the exam doing about 8-10 hours per week.
Is anyone using the MedicPortal's UKCAT question bank as well as Medify? Which would you recommend as the better option? :smile:
Original post by mygcserevision
personally DM is my WORST and i havent gotten anything right in the 1250 book yet and theres 90 ques :frown:i keep having to look at the answerI I also went through the whole 1250 book without timing and had to look at the answers for SO many of the questions its upsetting to think about it. My test is on the 4th september and i feel like ive waisted the 1250 book as ive finished it but only by basically copying down and trying to understand the answers instead of doing it myself or timing because im always getting it wrong. i thought by the end of the book i would have improved but i didnt :frown: what do i do up until my test and how much time should i dedicate a day? help me please its upsetting me alot

Hi there, let's take things step by step.

So there are 6 main topics for Decision Making.

Syllogisms - when you are given two or more statements and have to use logical reasoning to decide which conclusions follow.

Venn Diagrams - you may be presented with a set of statements and a set of different Venn Diagrams as response options. You will need to select the diagram that best represents the information provided.

Probabilistic Reasoning - you will be required to select the best possible response out of four statements regarding a probability scenario.

Logical Puzzles - you are given a series of statements that you need to infer information from. The statements may not make real-life logical sense, but try to deduce the conclusions you can gauge from the information provided.

Interpreting Information - you will be given information in the form of graphs, charts or written passages. You will be required to read this information and interpret it in a manner which enables you to decide the conclusions that follow best.

Recognising Assumptions - this will test your ability to evaluate the strength of an argument in support of or against a solution to a particular problem.

I'll be honest if you want to hone in on your theory, then our online course is a good bet. For £30 you get an e-Book for each section which is very detailed, especially for DM as people on this thread that have used it will know and online tutorials for each section. For example, DM has over 20 videos with a few more to launch this week.

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-online-course.html

It will be worth your money I promise you. Those are the main topics above, let me know if you would like me to explain anything.

With Love,
Mohil
Co-Founder of Medic Mind
Medic Mind
Hi Guys,

I did Medify Mock 2 today and got:

Verbal Reasoning: 650
Decision Making: 700-900
QR: 670
AR: 700
SJT: Band 2

I have my exam on August 12th, so not that much time left and I am super nervous. I am still struggling with QR timing but am working on it. Is this a decent score for the mock, or since my exam is in less than a week should I be doing better? Please be honest.
I've just received my higher results and I've done a lot better than I expected, I thought I would of had to write off dentistry as a career choice but it turns out I've met the grades/ However as I doubted myself so much I haven't done any UKCAT preparation which probably wasn't the best idea. Do you think its possible for me to get a good score if I start revising now and sit the test in October or should I just leave it till next year to apply?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1189
Original post by cymacdonald
I've just received my higher results and I've done a lot better than I expected, I thought I would of had to write off dentistry as a career choice but it turns out I've met the grades/ However as I doubted myself so much I haven't done any UKCAT preparation which probably wasn't the best idea. Do you think its possible for me to get a good score if I start revising now and sit the test in October or should I just leave it till next year to apply?

You don't really need more than 4 weeks to prepare so that should be fine, it's definitely worth giving it a go this year even if you don't manage to do well in your UKCAT
Original post by lachlanrigby
Hi Guys,

I have my exam on August 12th, so not that much time left and I am super nervous. I am still struggling with QR timing but am working on it. Is this a decent score for the mock, or since my exam is in less than a week should I be doing better? Please be honest.

Your QR is below average but everything else is rly good
I was just wondering what are these keyboard shortcuts that everyone has mentioned? Could someone please kindly state them all :smile: Also is medic portal a good representative material to use for the real thing ?
Hi guys, my UKCAT is two weeks today and I'm unsure of how much practice I should be doing and how to make the most of my time at this point? Any advice?
Hi, to anyone that has already done the UKCAT was the AR section really hard or were there just simple patterns? I'm using medify at the moment and i just can seem to get the AR questions right
Original post by lachlanrigby
Hi Guys,

I also did medify mock 2 a few days ago, and got pretty similar scores to what you've got. I found that I did better in most sections in Mocks 1 and 3 though. I think that what you've got is a decent score.

My exam is tomorrow...
Original post by alfresco_
Ahhh okay, so what did you mean when you said you were unlucky with wordy ones?

Some of the QR questions have a lot of text and a huge table attached that you have to process (not all of it, though), whereas others had just a little bit, so you can kinda move through the questions quickly.

I have 7 days til my real exam and I've just done the third mock from the official UKCAT website:

VR: 730
DM: 630
QR: 700
AR: 630
SJ Band 2

This gives me average 673 (total 2690) - which is neat, I guess?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys, To everybody that has already done the UKCAT, I have been struggling with the QR section in general but especially on can Medify confirm that the medify questions are on the harder side or is it a fair representation of the exam. My exam is on the 22nd so still have a bit of time

Thanks
Original post by harsev singh
Hi guys, To everybody that has already done the UKCAT, I have been struggling with the QR section in general but especially on can Medify confirm that the medify questions are on the harder side or is it a fair representation of the exam. My exam is on the 22nd so still have a bit of time

Thanks

I'm not sure about other people but I found the QR questions to be harder. I never got over 650 on medify but in the real test got 770 on the QR section.
Original post by OliviaBaggaley
I just did my UKCAT today so please feel free to ask me any questions. I got:

VR 600
DM 650
QR 850
AR 590
SJ Band 2

Total Score: 2690
Average Score: 673 (672.5)

How did you do so well in quantitative reasoning? What are your tips? I just did a UKAT mock on the official website and I did absolutely poorly- I only got 7/36. Absolute sh*t. I don't understand what happened- I take A-level maths as well :frown:. I just ended up guessing half the questions because there was just so much information to read through I just could do any of it. I feel like I'm gonna fail this now
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nichole22
I'm not sure about other people but I found the QR questions to be harder. I never got over 650 on medify but in the real test got 770 on the QR section.

In the quantitative reasoning section in the real exam was it very similar to the official UKCAT practise questions with loads of data in tables?

Latest

Trending

Trending