The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charley T
I did GCSE bitesize to make sure I could do everything- been a LONG time since I did GCSE Maths. Then as many questions of different difficulty as I could find & in timed conditions. I spent a few weeks on it without improvement. A week ago on Saturday morning I got QR 650 on a mock, then that afternoon I suddenly got 830 & then 890 the next day. QR went from being my 2nd worst section to best in the actual test.

Thanks a lot. Did you use a lot of mental maths and minimise the use of the onscreen calculator? how can i make use of the whiteboard effectively to my advantage?
Hi!
Have you done the actual exam? If so, did you use medify? Alot of people are saying that AR is soo much easier on medify than the actual exam and score lowest on it. I've only been using medify for my practise and my porgress in AR is good. This has REALLY worried me! How did you find the AR section and any useful websioes that provide similar diffculty to the exam for AR.
Thanks.
which is the most reliable tool?

The Medic Portal seems far too easy and sometimes their answers for decision making dont make much sense.

The ISC book is deadly to say the least.

Havent tried medify but how do you guys rate it?
Reply 1383
I got a score of 622.5 average. VR- 510. QR - 770. AR - 600. DM - 610. sjt band 4. 4A* 5A at gcses and predicted AAAA at AS. and should get predicted at least A*AA. Which unis ahould I apply to in London with this knowledge.
Original post by k.g.
I got a score of 622.5 average. VR- 510. QR - 770. AR - 600. DM - 610. sjt band 4. 4A* 5A at gcses and predicted AAAA at AS. and should get predicted at least A*AA. Which unis ahould I apply to in London with this knowledge.

Heyy! If I'm not mistaken there's only one London Uni that uses the UKCAT and that's KCL. But I'm not sure if 622.5 is high enough to get an interview there to be honest. Think your best bet if you're really going for London unis is to kick ass on the BMAT.
Hi everyone,I am an international student (moved from the U.K. 2 years ago) and took the UKCAT last week. I would seriously suggest reading over some practice questions just to understand the questions types and then taking a practice test to understand timings. Practice questions are key to this test, it's mostly about getting used to the questions and understanding what they're asking you. There are practice tests on UKCAT consortium and The Medic Portal websites. I would also recommend buying a practice book to work through at least a month before the test. I decided on taking a course whilst I was visiting in England and it was the best decision I made concerning this test. I went with Kaplan and did a two day course over the weekend where they gave us a book that had practice questions and tips. We worked through the 300 page book in just a weekend and I felt way more familiar with the test and question types. The best part about Kaplan was the access to practice questions and practice tests online. I found it much more effective to practice questions online as that is the format you will sit the test in and it's imperative to practice with the timer and calculator on the screen. Kaplan gave me six practice tests and I took all of them, they were the best ones I took although you can get some free ones online that are also good.Overall l think practice is perfect, trying loads of questions and making sure you stick to the timings is key, especially in the verbal and quant. sections!
Original post by TracyEmu
PLEEASEEEEE Helppp!!!! How did you you get such high score on QR?? I'm finding QR unbelievable!! what were your strategies??

I got a 790 on my QR, and when I first started practice tests I was getting 600's. I found the best thing was to make sure I practiced with the timings I got on the day. I made myself stick to 30 seconds per question, which would leave me with a few minutes left at the end. I forced myself to flag and move on from questions that I knew would take me over 30 seconds, and I answered questions very quickly when I thought I could simply eyeball the data. Answering all the questions correctly in QR is impossible, just make sure you've put an answer for everything and that you reach the end because the end ones typically aren't the hardest.
Original post by rgergerg
which is the most reliable tool?

The Medic Portal seems far too easy and sometimes their answers for decision making dont make much sense.

The ISC book is deadly to say the least.

Havent tried medify but how do you guys rate it?

What do you mean that 'the ISC book is deadly'??
Original post by Cammy.1
Heyy! If I'm not mistaken there's only one London Uni that uses the UKCAT and that's KCL. But I'm not sure if 622.5 is high enough to get an interview there to be honest. Think your best bet if you're really going for London unis is to kick ass on the BMAT.

There's also Barts and the London (Queen Mary Med school) which is in east London. Not sure what their requirements are though.
i am feeling nervous about the UKCAT. i have it in a weeks time on the 22nd
Original post by Cammy.1

Nope, there's also St George's who require at least 500 in each section and to meet their cut off which varies each year
Original post by k.g.

The London unis that take UKCAT include King's College, Barts and the London (Queen Mary) and St George's. King's is quite UKCAT heavy but they assess your application as a whole, so they'll look at your personal statement, predicted grades, GCSEs. They don't have any cutoffs.

Barts is 50% UKCAT and 50% ucas tariff points, the tariff points are basically your predicted grades. I think last years cutoff for UKCAT was in the third or fourth decile.

I don't know much about St George's but I believe that they shortlist for interviews based on UKCAT rank.
Did the UKCAT a few days ago and quite worried about my score.

I got:
600 VR
640 DA
720 QR
680 AR
Av: 660
Band 4 SJT

I got 10A*s and 2As at GCSE and predicted 2A*s and an A at A Level. Should I lay off the UKCAT heavy unis?
Original post by jonor13

I got:
600 VR
640 DA
720 QR
680 AR
Band 4 SJT

I got 10A*s and 2As at GCSE and predicted 2A*s and an A at A Level. Should I lay off the UKCAT heavy unis?

Make sure you're not already excluded because of your band 4 which is generally the case with the majority of ukcat unis
Original post by jonor13

I got:
600 VR
640 DA
720 QR
680 AR
Band 4 SJT

Check university course requirements for SJT as I know some do not allow band 4 entry. Also it probably is best to lay off the UKCAT heavy unis such as Newcastle, as previous cut offs can be as high as 700av. But I wouldn't make a full decision until the UKCAT statistics for this year are released. But your GCSEs are really good, think about GCSE heavy unis such as Cardiff, Leicester, Birmingham. And your predicted grades are pretty good too.
Original post by Hopeiseverything
Just did my final Mock on Kaplan, averaged 705. Test tomorrow 😓

Just finished my real exam
Average 742.5
VR640
DM700
QR890
AR740
I did 2 days Kaplan, 5 weeks medify and 1250 book.
13 mocks in total all in the final 2 weeks before exam.
Most my mocks averaged 640/680
Happy it's all done now, good luck all
Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish this exam was over ffs. Would've sat it earlier but been working all summer everyday :frown:
Original post by Hopeiseverything
Just finished my real exam
Average 742.5
VR640
DM700
QR890
AR740
I did 2 days Kaplan, 5 weeks medify and 1250 book.
13 mocks in total all in the final 2 weeks before exam.
Most my mocks averaged 640/680
Happy it's all done now, good luck all

That's an amazing score!!! That is the highest I have seen yet. I wish I could do the kaplan mocks but can't afford an extra £170 :frown:

How did you find the AR and DM?
Original post by Laura05Apple
That's an amazing score!!! That is the highest I have seen yet. I wish I could do the kaplan mocks but can't afford an extra £170 :frown:

How did you find the AR and DM?

Thanks
DM was similar to medify
AR much easier than Medify.
Good luck
Reply 1399
Original post by coco.z
The London unis that take UKCAT include King's College, Barts and the London (Queen Mary) and St George's. King's is quite UKCAT heavy but they assess your application as a whole, so they'll look at your personal statement, predicted grades, GCSEs. They don't have any cutoffs.

Barts is 50% UKCAT and 50% ucas tariff points, the tariff points are basically your predicted grades. I think last years cutoff for UKCAT was in the third or fourth decile.

I don't know much about St George's but I believe that they shortlist for interviews based on UKCAT rank.

Thanks for this. Are there ever situations where if you're just below the minimum ukcat threshold but all your other qualifications exceed entry requirements can you still get an interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending