The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarkLane_9
Do the AR sections usually have one rule like even number of shapes or are other rules usually snuck in such as even number of shapes, there is always at least one circle and one black shape?

Hi Mark,

There are often patterns that have secondary patterns too. I wouldn't spend too much time looking for a secondary pattern all the time, but if you find that the pattern is really obvious then it might be worth looking for a second one.

Hope that helps

Mohil
4th Year UCL Medic
www.medicmind.co.uk
Original post by homairapatel
Thanks! What a relief.
There's just a lot to read in the tables and its quite time consuming.

Btw do you have any tips for AR- I just never seem to find the pattern

You need to use triggers.

Watch this free tutorial which has everything you need to know about these triggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_vn7EkkSII&t=62s
Original post by Puppo
It isn't til the 28th of September but I'm so worried already like I got the results I need (Scottish applicant) and don't want this one exam to mess up my chances haha. Did you use the ISC book cos I've been looking at that and the VR and SJT is ok but the QR and DM (haven't checked out AR) are difficult for me :/
I really wanted to sit this in the summer hols but I was working for 5 weeks in the summer then went away for the last week so didn't feel comfortable going in with basically no prep.
I was kindly given the 2016 kaplan strategy book which is ok for AR, VR, SJT and QR is a bit better in it.
On another note - has anyone started writing their personal statement (I haven't!)

ISC is a great book but the QR and AR sections are really difficult in it!
Original post by Puppo
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is decision making easier than what is in the ISC 1250 book? I'm ok with the syllogisms and is this argument ok questions but suck at the logic ones and riddles!

Watch this free tutorial :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKGt7LpB54I
How the f does one AR, I feel like every time I get it right on medify its a total accident because Ive only guessed half the pattern .-.
how many true false cant tell questions are there out of the 11 passages in the ukcat. Is there usually like 3?
also does anyone have any advice for the keyword approach. I can never find them in the long passages. Maybe is should quickly scan the passage and then look so i understand how it is structured. This should allow me to look in the right place for the keyword I think. Any tips?
people that have sat the ukcat, where there a lot of tables questiopns on qr? I seem to be very bad these.
ukcat in 3 days but I'm seriously thinking of postponing it :frown:
Original post by Earlofthegrey
also does anyone have any advice for the keyword approach. I can never find them in the long passages. Maybe is should quickly scan the passage and then look so i understand how it is structured. This should allow me to look in the right place for the keyword I think. Any tips?

I read the key words, then run my finger down the middle of the passage and look for them quickly. Works for me anyway.
Original post by Medic Mind

Thank you. All of your videos are really helpful.
Second ukcat mock

VR-650

DM-700

QR-600

AR-700

SJT- Band 2

Question what are the verbal reasoning paragraphs like? from people who have actually done the test.
thanks
Original post by Warren Fleming
Second ukcat mock

VR-650

DM-700

QR-600

AR-700

SJT- Band 2

Question what are the verbal reasoning paragraphs like? from people who have actually done the test.
thanks

Just expect the same as the practices, they aren't much different
does anyone else find the QR questions on the UKCAT website super difficult???? Medify QR was nothing compared to this :frown:((((
im really struggling with getting my scores better each time i try it just gets worse i did a mock today and got an average of 495 which is really bad. any help?
I took my UKCAT test on the 1st August and I got:

VR: 700
DM: 760
QR: 890
AR: 720
SJT: Band 2

AVG: 767.5

I am most surprised with my score in QR, as that was the section I struggled with the most when practicing. I was aiming for 650 average and didn't expect much higher than that so I was pleasantly surprised. I used medify and the 1250 UKCAT Q's prep book. I spent about 2 weeks revising, spending at least a couple of hours per day
Original post by humphryslewis
I took my UKCAT test on the 1st August and I got:

VR: 700
DM: 760
QR: 890
AR: 720
SJT: Band 2

AVG: 767.5

I am most surprised with my score in QR, as that was the section I struggled with the most when practicing. I was aiming for 650 average and didn't expect much higher than that so I was pleasantly surprised. I used medify and the 1250 UKCAT Q's prep book. I spent about 2 weeks revising, spending at least a couple of hours per day

Hi!
Congrats on your UKCAT score, it's impressive! I'm hoping to acheive around 690 above, I'm currently using medify and just wanted to ask how the DM qs are compared to the real thing, (easier/harder?) and AR. I've heard these sections are harder in the real thing and it's really starting to worry me as I'm not doing so great! Also, for QR what sorts of calculations should I know how to do eg. percentage change etc, and are the passages for VR longer.
Original post by Phil987
Hi!
Congrats on your UKCAT score, it's impressive! I'm hoping to acheive around 690 above, I'm currently using medify and just wanted to ask how the DM qs are compared to the real thing, (easier/harder?) and AR. I've heard these sections are harder in the real thing and it's really starting to worry me as I'm not doing so great! Also, for QR what sorts of calculations should I know how to do eg. percentage change etc, and are the passages for VR longer.

If I'm honest, I think AR was slightly easier in the real thing. I would recommend just trying as many examples as possible and try to remember which patterns come up often. There's only so many patterns they can use.

I think I found DM to be roughly the same as the questions on Medify.

For QR the main things to revise would be practicing mental math skills (addition, multiplication, division etc) because doingthese in your head saves a lot of time. Also Speed/Distance/Time calculations come up often. Other than that, percentage change, conversions and probabilities.

VR passages varied in length. Some were long, others were only 2 paragraphs.

All in all, I found the real test to be slightly easier than the medify mocks.
Original post by rawhuman
does anyone else find the QR questions on the UKCAT website super difficult???? Medify QR was nothing compared to this :frown:((((

Some of those questions on the website do have excessively long data sets, but the official questions are much more accurate than Medify would be.

Good luck!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher
www.youtube.com/medicmind
Original post by Phil987
Hi!

Here is a list of QR Topics:

Percentages
Weighted Means
Area Questions
QR Formulae
Adapting to Test Day
Fractions
Interest Questions
Tax Questions
Venn Diagrams
Speed Distance Time

Watch our free Youtube Tutorials for help!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher
Original post by Phil987
Hi!

Many of our students actually say that AR is easier in the actual thing. Attached is a list of AR triggers which could help!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher

Latest

Trending

Trending